THIS SUX

briXXer

Registered
well im sure u all know california is buring like hell! im like 15 miles from the closest parts of the fire.. sat and sun it was hard breathing somewhat and had major interstates closed out here off and on from the smoke and some fire.. but what really sux is where a lot of these fires are burning is some prime riding.. we are talking hwy 18, 330, 138 and thats from one fire not sure which roads the simi valley fires are affecting. or the san diego ones. last year at this time there was fire on GMR (glendora mountain road) and it was shut down until recently.. then in a few months when the rain comes along we get to have mud slides.. u cant really ride anywhere to avoid the smoke. it looks like a lite snow while riding at nite in the headlite. u park ur bike outside for any amount of time and u have ash on it. the the ash gets sucked up into the helmet while ur riding and gets in ur eyes.. ohh yeah the ash on the streets make it nice and slick in spots.. like i said .. THIS SUX! i wanna ride!

I'm north of the fires so the air has been clear around here. (the wind has been blowing south) I have to work in Chatsworth tonight and I hope I can get to work. We missed delivery to 6,000 subscribers because of freeway and road closures. I drove past the fires in Simi Valley on Sat and Sun and you just can't imagine what a 100,000 acre fire looks like until you see it! A friend of mine on my hockey team is an insurance guy and he's driving all over writing checks for people who have lost their homes. Several people from work have called in to say they have been evacuated or might be. I need to get out for a ride and I'll see if I can't post some pics.

Here's one pic I took from the freeway. We're about 10 miles away from the fire.

DSC00641.JPG

Heard in the news that the burned area in California has already reached half of the burned area in Portugal this year. This was a major tragedy for my country 'cause it's a small one. I believe that the fires in California are a huge tragedy too 'cause nature is being destroyed, people are dying and houses are being burnt to ashes.

Hope the fireman control it quick.

Keep yourself and your families safe. I'm praying for a quick end to this madness.

Dan

Stay Cool out there folks...I hope that the worst any of you have to deal with is some smoke and ash...I don't want to see any crispy busa Photos...

Stay safe guys...sounds like you're far too close for comfort to those fires...

Yeah don't take any unnessary chances or rides near the fire...Like you guys stated the major ash fall and all...California is in our prayers...

I live in Thousand Oaks and the smoke and ash are collecting here. I have a friend in Piru where the first fire started that had to evacuate on Saturday. The fire missed thier house by about 100 feet. Between them and the fire department they saved the house, the barn and the stables, the fire took the rest of the 1600 acres. Someone was looking out for them that day! It is a little clearer today, and since Moorpark college is closed, I don't have to go to class tonight. (Sorry for Moorpark, but glad I don't have to go to class.)

I'm sorry to hear it SUXX so bad for you not to be able to rifde the way you want to. Maybe we can all get together and get you a crying towel. Oh, don't get any tears on that nice paint job.

When you get done complaining, why don't you think about the people that have burned to death, or their houses that have gone up in flames with everything they ever worked for inside them. Or maybe for all of the animals being burned to death, or all of the property loss.

I guess we all can't have it our way all of the time.

johncal.

I'm sorry to hear it SUXX so bad for you not to be able to rifde the way you want to. Maybe we can all get together and get you a crying towel. Oh, don't get any tears on that nice paint job.

When you get done complaining, why don't you think about the people that have burned to death, or their houses that have gone up in flames with everything they ever worked for inside them. Or maybe for all of the animals being burned to death, or all of the property loss.

johncal.
Dang, dude... I don't think he intended any disrespect for those even less fortunate than he is. Maybe he just posted about riding because this is, ummmm, a bike forum? :super: I think you overreacted here a little bit.
poke.gif

exactly, there was no disrespect intended. i have one friend that her dad lost his house already and my sons grandmother lives in big bear and they are under a voluntary evacuation.. just wanted to point out that, where these fires are burning are burning some great riding roads and beautiful scenery. of course its burning houses and have there have been deaths. the firefighters are trying there best and cant get any breaks from mother nature to help. it just sux all the way around!

im not from there but it seems that the roads thru that area would be more fun to ride after its all over...no bushes or trees hiding cars that are coming around curves...no places for the state troopers to hide behind...etc...just a positive thought on things.

I'm sorry about the incredible lose (Life and Property). But at least once it's over you can still ride. I'm in Chicago, so my season is over. So. Cal. weather is great.

johncal.
Or Maybe we can Dial ...Whine One One and get you a Waaambulance...  :eek:  :D

Seriously though, them poor bastards in Cali keep getting kicked right in the ass.  Having said that though Colorado also gets it's share of Forest Fires that claim homes, however the population density is lower (thank God).

But, and I know it's cold hearted, "YOU LIVE IN THE FREAKING FOREST!!!"  WHAT the hell do you expect, especially a dry forest?  There are a lot of steps a person can take to prevent or limit damage to their mountain homes.  There were a few homes in the last big Cali and Colorado fire's that demonstrated this clearly.  Proper Landscaping, clearing a fire zone around your home, Not rip out every tree but thin out the under brush.  Tin or Tile roofing, Double pane windows or metal shutters, and Metal siding, Concrete Block or solid poured walls.  
  Hear me out for a minute, If your living along the Fault you expect earthquakes, there are building codes you have to follow right?  Along the beaches here in Florida there are certain codes your home has to meet for Hurricanes.  In The Midwest they have safe rooms and storm shelters to keep them safe in case of Tornado.  So why is it so freaking hard to understand that FORESTS BURN?  It's not a mystery, it's not rocket science and if recent Yellowstone, Montana, California, Colorado, and lets not forget Arizona Fire's have Not convinced a person to build smartly, and take some serious precautions then Bad on them.  

Now obviously there are degrees of fire just like there are strengths of Tornados, and Hurricanes etc. so it may not be possible to fireproof against a monster fire but darnit the loss of life in this fire is too darn high and it makes me wonder what part of the system is breaking down here.  Or who the hell isn't paying any attention?

Yeah I know I'm a bobo, Yadda Yadda...

Now obviously there are degrees of fire just like there are strengths of Tornados, and Hurricanes etc. so it may not be possible to fireproof against a monster fire but darnit the loss of life in this fire is too darn high and it makes me wonder what part of the system is breaking down here.  Or who the hell isn't paying any attention?

So the answer is more governmental regulation of how people must build their homes? F that... Maybe a governmental education program that teaches folks in certain areas how to safeguard against stuff like fires and storms, but if I want to move to the deepest bowels of Hell and live there in a kerosene soaked cardboard box I should NOT be told by the government that I can't do it! :devil:

Ok, I feel better now... Can you tell that you struck a nerve with the "regulate it right" argument? :super: You're actually one of the last ones I would hace expected that from, broh. ;)

So the answer is more governmental regulation of how people must build their homes? F that... Maybe a governmental education program that teaches folks in certain areas how to safeguard against stuff like fires and storms, but if I want to move to the deepest bowels of Hell and live there in a kerosene soaked cardboard box I should NOT be told by the government that I can't do it! :devil:

Ok, I feel better now... Can you tell that you struck a nerve with the "regulate it right" argument? :super: You're actually one of the last ones I would hace expected that from, broh.  ;)
Ummm...Bullet? I didn't mention Government regulation...

Point is your house right now is built to certain codes in your area. I was mostly aimiong this at folks building their homes in the Mountains, using Woods shingles (don't laugh I have seen it) and nestling their home into a nice wood thicket because it's purty... Yeah it's purty damn silly. Not really looking for big brother to step in but if people cannot look after themselves I would rather there be some regulation before hand instead of the Taxpayers (MEANING YOU AND ME)
having to pay afterwords...Bush has allready promised disaster recovery money, and thats you and me bro.

I am being harsh I know and as I mentioned above in a monster fire there may be no hope anyway, but there are steps people can take to prevent or reduce the risk of loosing their homes.

OH BTW CHeck this link out... Killer Fire Photos Click Me!

Back