The Dragon

Skywalker

Donating Member
Registered
nullTail of the Dragon on Fire

Motorcycle wreck on 'the Dragon' ignites fire in the Smokies

Originally published 09 a.m., April 17, 2008 Updated 09 a.m., April 17, 2008

Firefighters will start a controlled burn today in the Great Smoky Mountains National Park in an effort to kill a blaze that's been burning since Wednesday.

"There's no immediate threat," said park spokesman Bob Miller. "There are no structures for miles, so it's mostly a matter of keeping it from getting any deeper into the park or jumping the roads."

The fire started Wednesday night when a motorcyclist wrecked on the stretch of U.S. Highway 129 known as "the Dragon."

"He skidded into the woods, and the motorcycle caught fire," Miller said. "The driver walked away from it."

The fire covered about 75 acres this morning, according to state foresters.

About 16 firefighters - 10 from the park service and half a dozen more from the U.S. Bureau of Indian Affairs office in nearby Cherokee, N.C. - will work to surround the flames today and start the burn to kill off any fuel, park officials said.

"They'll go in there and shut it down," Miller said.

Wednesday's low humidity and high-speed winds resulted in a rash of wildfires across the Tennessee Valley area. Five separate fires burned approximately 425 acres in three counties, officials said.

The largest fires broke out in Campbell and Scott counties. In Scott County, a 200 acre arson fire burned near Gumfork Road, and in Campbell County, a 150 acre fire was caused by sparks from a passing train.

More details as they develop online and in Friday's News Sentinel.

Well, just FYI. i did not put the little happy men in the original post and it must have come from my copy and past of the date published. Tried to removed but I don't have permission to edit my own post. Maybe some hacker can remove them.

Edited post...seems when you have the time, the colon followed by 29 reads as our friendly smiley
super.gif

Scary fire, but I'm glad to hear the rider walked away...

Edited post...seems when you have the time, the colon followed by 29 reads as our friendly smiley
super.gif

Scary fire, but I'm glad to hear the rider walked away...
Thanks VA. Sure hope this does not stop or hamper the Busa bash. I had hoped to go this year for my 1st visit.

Keep your eyes on the road and not the burned lumber from where the guy went off, or you'll follow him.

Back