THIS SUX

Ummm...Bullet? I didn't mention Government regulation...

Point is your house right now is built to certain codes in your area.  
Who do you think sets those codes you mentioned? :super: The gubmit, dude. ;)

Another note... I don't think the government should assert any influence either way, financial or otherwise, in forcing codes or rebuilding in this type situation. I think their role is to educate and then let the ones that don't take heed handle the crap they catch when it hits the fan. I disagree with the gubmit picking up the tab on this just as much as I disagree with more rules/codes/regs/etc...

I'd have no problems with insurance companies refusing to insure my kerosene soaked cardboard box that I set up in Hell. If I chose to live in it I accept the risks. I don't think the gubmit, be it local or federal, should have any say so in it whatsoever. I think enough of our freedom has been eroded already by stupid regulations "in our best interest". When I got the land for my new home I got two acres. I went in for a builders permit and they tell me that my land is zoned agricultural and I must have 4 acres to build a house. WTF? There are subdivisions that have three or more houses to an acre and I have to have four friggin' acres to build a single family dwelling out in the country? Puuuuuuuuhlease! Now you know why "codes" is such a touchy subject for me. ;)

new homes that are built must have fire retardant roofs and paint. a lot of these houses that are burning up close to the mountains (dont know the percentage) have wooden shingle. tile roofs and stucco is the way to go. ur supposed to keep a certain distance from ur house free from dead growth. some of those people dont have the money to put new fire retardant roofs on since the homes are so old. and they think it wouldnt fit into the decor with the mountain terrain (terra cotta tile and mountain decor).. but they are probably kicking themselves in the ass now for not putting a new roof on.
i also agree "HELLLLO, u live in a fire danger area" its kind of like the flooding around the mississippi river when it flooded years ago.. then they go and rebuild again right at the same spot. i dont understand it.. i guess they love it to much and/ or cant afford to buy property someplace else.
and if u have never ridden these roads its hard to describe the fun these roads give us. if ur not railing it u can take in all the scenery.. without the vegetation it allows dirt to get on the road a lot easier. for the riders have been out here to ride them u know the areas.. last i heard all of the angeles forest roads are closed, san bernardino mountain roads are closed, santa monica mountains are closed (thats where the rock store is and u all saw pix of that area on here not to long ago), and palomar mountian area is closed. once all the fires are gone im sure we will be taking rides up there to check it out and will post some pix then.. most of these fires are like only 10-23% contained

Rev did you read the editorial in today's L.A. Times already?  We just printed it last night and you mentioned almost everything about building your house in a forest that the editorial did.  A quote, "If you build your house in a forest out of forest products, it will burn like the forest."

Every time we have heavy rains, the people who built houses in the dry wash get flooded, when we have fires, the houses built in the heavy brush areas burn down.  Well...?!

Most of the companies that are insuring these houses are nationwide companies, and the cost will be spread out to everyone.  

Bullet, I hate it when the government tells you what is best for you.  But building codes need to be more strict concerning fire resistance when you build it in a forest, or in a canyon that it likely to burn.  No you can't build your flammable house in the forest, because when (not if) it burns down, people will turn to the gubment for help.  My taxes.  Insurance rates will go up, MY rates.

Back