So your Dr's apt is running late....

Interesting idea; but I'd also bill for travel time and mileage traveled...

I've thought about doing this several times. I have gone to countless appointments where I have had to sit well past my scheduled time.

I even got a bill from my doc one time for a missed appointment. I told him where he could stick it since I called to cancel my appt 2 weeks in advance.

It's expected, I always shoot for the first appointment and make sure I'm a little early. My doctors would laugh at you. I use to drive 60 miles for medical attention, and once had an appointment canceled after waiting hours. I was told the doctor had an emergency. I figured he was teeing up with friends. You never know.

It's expected, I always shoot for the first appointment and make sure I'm a little early. My doctors would laugh at you. I use to drive 60 miles for medical attention, and once had an appointment canceled after waiting hours. I was told the doctor had an emergency. I figured he was teeing up with friends. You never know.

I hear ya. My surgeon’s office is 90 miles north of my office and it takes an hour and a half to get there. Twice I got a call when I was pulling into the parking garage that my appointment was canceled and once 45 mins after I got there; all while trying to schedule the same surgery. Turns out the guy doesn’t like coming back after lunch. I always scheduled my appointments at the end of the day so I missed as little work as possible. After the 3rd time I blew up and demanded that he bring his butt in or that I see another surgeon. It is a large University Medical Center so I knew there had to be at least one other doctor there capable of preforming the surgery. The head of the department cam in an examined me but after the appointment he told me that I really needed to see my original doctor. I explained everything to him and he asked me to come in the next day so I calmed down a went back after a guaranty from the head guy that I would be seen, on time. Turns out that was my Doctors day off and the head guy made him come in just to see me AND they expedited my surgery. It was preformed 4 days later.

Wow thanks....I swear that if my doctor ever keeps me waiting again I will bill him for the time:laugh::laugh:

And then I'll be sure to post it here for all to see:laugh::laugh:

Oh! And Wassup Sonny! Where ya been!? How comes you're not doing group buys anynore? Are we gonna have to take that Sig back?????:poke::poke::laugh::laugh:

Interesting, a very educated man cam up with this idea... not a very smart man though do you really want to get on the bad side of the guy you are asking to keep you healthy and alive :whistle: :laugh:

If they made it a habbit I would just find a better doctor. And if there arent' that many or any to choose from around, well thats another reason to stay on his good side :laugh:

I complained to my Dr. about the wait time. He got on the staff about it. If I had a problem with my Dr. I would find another one.

My wife and I get up and leave after 1 hour. This always results in a call to the house as to what happened since we had already signed in. We tell them we waited 1 hour and had other business that needed to be done. They always give expedited service after that. They think you have a business and can't wait all day. So far we have been lucky with a 100% success rate. You only get what you ask for or expect.:thumbsup:

LOL Been there. done there. I was so po`d one time, I did send them a bill, my hourly rate + travel time + mileage + duress for waiting 51 mins after my appt time. Got a fake check in the mail and have never waited more than 5 mins ever since. I mean I`m in the exam room at my appt time now, Dr. has been prompt everytime, we still joke about it.

My doctor kept me waiting 30 mins I got up and told the recepitionist that have my doctor call
me to reschedule an appointment.
Next appointment i waited 5 mins and havent had a problem since. They dont like to miss easy
money. If they know you wont wait they Will skip others to take yours cause others Will wait.
it may be harder for others on tighter schedules or have a long drive.
Posted via Mobile Device

I went to a chiropractor quite a few times and he always told me that if I was late for my 10 min app I only got worked on for the remaining time but if he was late he worked on me for the whole 10 min at no charge. I liked this guy! One other Dr I saw kept me waiting for over and hour and when I got in I went off on him. I told him I left work early lost wages to be their on time and he made me wait and he should pay me for the time I loss. Well, he did not charge me for the visit and every time I went to see him after that he was on time. I guess he got the message. I think this is a great idea and the Dr should pay if they make you wait. JMO

When I lived in London it was terrible always waiting, could not even book an appointment in advance had to phone up on the day and see if they had an appointment.
Broke my hand once and when it was fixed up I had to go for a check up to see if it was OK waited 3 hours and all they did was take the bandage off looked at the cut where I had the pins put in and said it was alright.
Waited over a year to get a fitting for a hearing aid, by the time the hearing aid had been made I had moved 70 miles away, got the tickets for the train and the day before they canceled my appointment, never did get it.
Guy I knew had a really bad knee he waited over 18 months for a a appointment and when they saw him they said they couldn't do anything because he'd waited to long.
Where I live now is very good if you wait it's usually under 10 Min's.
The good thing though is it is all free.
Sorry for waffling on.

I have to add my .02 cents in..

You guys have to remember its not "ALWAYS" the doctors fault for running late. In our offices we often experience patients coming in late or RIGHT ON TIME with a thousand issues that causes the doctor to be back up. With all the insurance cuts lately, hospitals and offices affiliated with hospitals are demanding doctors see twice the patients in the same amount of time which means they have less patient interaction and get behind VERY quickly.

Be prepared to wait if you are seeing any surgeon that does emergancies. AKA Vascular, Cardiothoracic or Neurologist. Sometimes every second counts and a patient in stress is more important then a routine followup for patient in no distress.

Then Look at the office staff and how they interact with other staff. If they are taking their time registering you or getting your chart ready, it may be their fault the doctor isnt running on time.

Also the best time to make an appointment is usually the second or 3rd appointment of the day bright and early in the am. If the doctor is running late, by the time you get there he will just be arriving and the nurse/medical assistants will usually have you back in a room shortly after arriving to get the doc back on track.

There are exceptions and trust me, ive waited for dumb reasons already in the past. Just wanted you all to see things from the other side.

~Rant over~

Here they give you 10 Min's to see the Doctor, if you want to talk about more than one thing you have too make more than one appointment. I didn't know this until the Doctor told me off four trying to sort out four thing once.

Here they give you 10 Min's to see the Doctor, if you want to talk about more than one thing you have too make more than one appointment. I didn't know this until the Doctor told me off four trying to sort out four thing once.

Do you have socialized medicine there?

Back