So i built my new drum smoker

I like the way the vents look by turning them up. I know adding the 90 degree elbow and 18" of pipe reduces the amount of air flow but that is why i have two valves instead of one. If it cant draw enough air i will add another vent on the back with no pipe on it. I will add the link to this thread once i get back to the office.

You will be ok with the intakes up high. You may want to put that third one on. I have one high intake anr two lowers. When trying to get lump to stabilize bending to cap and un cap the intake vents can get to be a pain.

You will be ok with the intakes up high. You may want to put that third one on. I have one high intake anr two lowers. When trying to get lump to stabilize bending to cap and un cap the intake vents can get to be a pain.

Yeah, i figured if the two valves dont work well that i will add a 3rd in the back downtown low like the plans show. I dont want any caps.

Do you always want new barrels for these smokers? I assume you don't want used ones that contained chemicals, oils, etc. :beerchug:

Do you always want new barrels for these smokers? I assume you don't want used ones that contained chemicals, oils, etc. :beerchug:

some barrels are used for dry goods. but no, unless it was cooking oil, or pig fat. don't use a used petrol barrel to build a smoker.

:idea: i guess you could build a bonfire in and around the barrel to burn everything off it. just don't feed my kid out of it. :laugh:

Lots of people use used drums. You just need to make sure it is an unlined drum (oil companies and food grade drums are unlined). You just need to have a good hot fire in it to burn out all the old stuff. Once you burn it bake to bare metal you're good to go. The steel doesn't absorb it. It's all about how much money you want to spend. You can get a used drum for about $25 or you can buy a new one for $100. I was lucky and got (2) drums for free so I didn't mind burning out the old crap.

Good to know. I think I'm going to build one this spring so I'll start keeping my eye out. :beerchug:

some barrels are used for dry goods. but no, unless it was cooking oil, or pig fat. don't use a used petrol barrel to build a smoker.

:idea: i guess you could build a bonfire in and around the barrel to burn everything off it. just don't feed my kid out of it. :laugh:

The fire in mine was soo hot I not only burned the inside back t bare metal, I blistered off allof the red paint on the outside.

I am picky, I went new because I am feeding my big rugrats. And as I live in an apartment, I don`t have a place to burn out a barrel.

I love my drum. :laugh:

charlie, if you ever get a hankerin` to smoke a turkey a dome lide will be in order. I could not find a Webber Kettle lid. So I went to Big Lots and bought a BBQ for $30. Only used the lid. This thing looks like an Andriod or R2D2`s BIG Brother.

I am picky, I went new because I am feeding my big rugrats. And as I live in an apartment, I don`t have a place to burn out a barrel.

I love my drum. :laugh:

charlie, if you ever get a hankerin` to smoke a turkey a dome lide will be in order. I could not find a Webber Kettle lid. So I went to Big Lots and bought a BBQ for $30. Only used the lid. This thing looks like an Andriod or R2D2`s BIG Brother.

Im using the other barrel i have as a topper so i can smoke turkeys. You take the second barrel and leave the top closed, cut the top 1/3 off right in the center of the nipple and use it as a tall lid. Now its 4 sections high and you can put just about anything in it.

That is HUGE. I guess if you are going to smoke something BIG that works. The kettle lis is much smaller and lighter. What works, works. Good luck.

Back