So i built my new drum smoker

lil charlie

Registered
I have been wanting to learn how to smoke some BBQ for a while and i saw a link that Big Bo posted up on how to build your own UDS (upright drum smoker) out of a 55 gallon drum. So i got to it over the weekend and built this puppy. Now its time to break this bad boy in. Any suggestions on what to smoke? I will post more pics when i get home..... i forgot that downloaded the build pics to my computer. FYI, this was super simple to built and cost $150, you can make them cheaper but i wanted a few extras.

uploadfromtaptalk1327933274655.jpg

You guys are killing me with this stuff! I have enough to do this spring around the house, and now I may have to add a drum smoker to the list......

(started reading the sites about building one a few minutes ago)

I like the way the vents look by turning them up. I know adding the 90 degree elbow and 18" of pipe reduces the amount of air flow but that is why i have two valves instead of one. If it cant draw enough air i will add another vent on the back with no pipe on it. I will add the link to this thread once i get back to the office.

Looks cool. I can't wait to see the build pics!

The problem with moving the vents intakes higher, is its stopping direct air flow to the coals.
I like the way the vents look by turning them up. I know adding the 90 degree elbow and 18" of pipe reduces the amount of air flow but that is why i have two valves instead of one. If it cant draw enough air i will add another vent on the back with no pipe on it. I will add the link to this thread once i get back to the office.

Looks pretty good, from what i have seen they say poultry and pork are your most forgiving meats for the smoker, i have mastered them!!!

There are alot of foods now i dont think i could go back to eating out of the oven, i'm addicted :laugh:

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::laugh::laugh:

lil charlie, you make me smile. I just hope you did a damn good burn. Smoke some hotlinks. Just to get a feel of the unit. If you have a bur in your ass put some chicken on.

Oh, charlie, nice build. :laugh:

Be honest about how it cooks. :rulez:

I have been wanting to learn how to smoke some BBQ for a while and i saw a link that Big Bo posted up on how to build your own UDS (upright drum smoker) out of a 55 gallon drum. So i got to it over the weekend and built this puppy. Now its time to break this bad boy in. Any suggestions on what to smoke? I will post more pics when i get home..... i forgot that downloaded the build pics to my computer. FYI, this was super simple to built and cost $150, you can make them cheaper but i wanted a few extras.

Is that a rattlesnake on the right side of your smoker, in the grass?

Back