So how good are you and bike on the brakes? Really!

EarlyBird

Donating Member
Registered
The question I ask is a pretty general on, but a serious question. I have had to use my brakes and skill to save my :moon: a lot this week. If it wasnt for the choice of my parts and the constant practice of testing myself while using them. I would be a DEAD MAN right now a few times over from this week alone.

Some very simple qustions that can help you save you life!
How often to you practice your braking?
Where do you practice?
Do you very the speed and challenge yourself to shorten your braking distance?
Are you confrontable with how your bikes braking action works? Feel? Response?
Are you sure you want to use a higher mileage tire over a softer performance tire?
Do you cover your brake lever while riding?
Do you use 2 fingers or your whole hand?

These are just a few from off the top of my head... I know others here can add to this list.

My point is this..... not many people who ride can seriously brake when the time arrives to really need them or how to apply them. I think it is a skill that many riders over look too! Especailly in an emergency!! Again this can save your :moon:!

My 2 worst close calls where on Monday, about 2 minutes apart from each other. I was riding down at the Ocean Front. 2 lanes going one way and 2 going the other way with parking on both sides. Posted speed limit is 35 mph, which I was doing. I was on the inside lane close to the double divided yellow line. I was scanninng left to right like I normally do. A lot of people traffic and careless scooters etc in theses parts. As I am riding I noticed a silver car just gas it from the parking spot ahead on my side of the road. I had reacted by applying the brakes progressively and then harder. This guy just whipped out of the parking spot! Crossed over the 2 lanes I was traveling in to make a illegal U-turn. No signal! No warning! No Nothing! As the car is crossing my path, which wasnt much! I had to progessively use every amount of braking I had on my Busa to avoid hitting this driver in a t-bone situation. I can hear the front tire on the verge of locking up...it was talking to me! I was at its limit. I missed hitting this guy's door by 2 inches. He never looked... He never saw me... I hit the horn when I came to a complete stop, as he kept making his illegal U-turn in front of me. I looked at him and all I got was the bird. The people on the side walks where looking at all of this taking place, and you could tell that they thought they were going to see an ugly accident. I had to get moving as soon as possible. I didnt know what maybe behind me too. I made it to the traffic light. A few drivers near me asked if I was alright... and said that was some good stopping. They had never seen a bike stop so fast before.

Well situation number two! I leave the light and get a head of traffic. I signal for the out side lane closer to the side walk. I am coming up to the intersection, and notice a young guy in a BMW. He was driving up to the stop sign pretty quickly. Something told me to be ready to react. I checked my mirror... A car is to the left of me! So I cant change lanes! I cover the brake. As I am getting closer to him. He looks my way, but one of thoughs half ass attempts. He starts to pull out quickly. I am on the brakes and beeping the horn. He stops half way out into the lane. I slowed enough to swerge left some in my lane to avoid going over the hood of the car. I stopped at the next light. The driver to the left of me, asked if I was ok, and couldnt believe that I almost got creamed twice in 2 minutes. I said I was fine, and went to the bike hangout a few blocks away. I was headed there anyway.

As I was there, I got a drink, and took a few moments to think about all that just happened. Yes I was upset! I said a few choice words in my helmet while all the OMG's where happening, but I never froze up. I knew my bike, my equipment, and trusted my training to save my :moon:!

My busa isnt stock... I have Q2's on it, SS brake lines, Ebc extreme Brake pads, stock rotors, a brembo master cylinder, and my suspension set up for my weight.

Why am I pointing this out above.... Your equipment choices, as well as your skill can make or break you. If I was on a stock busa... I know I would of hit that car!! Another part of the equation! The bike and the sum of all its parts!

So again, So how good are you and your bike on the brakes?

I practice twice a week out off of SR 82 & 29. Most of my riding is highway so I have to be ready from 80 mph. Good heads up riding there EB, high traffic areas with lots going on are always magnet's for bad driving. Same set up as you minus the MC, add FP tactical levers.
There will always be an idiot who will want to test your brakes for you...:whistle:

Last edited:
Remember, if you hit the horn, most likely the driver will stop. If you don't want them to stop, stay off the horn. Good job stopping! If you even "think" someone doesn't see you, they don't see you and take action, even if they actually do see you. People get their Spidey sense working and ignore it. Nothing will stop you from bringing traffic to a near stop if some idiot is not looking where they are going. I'd rather have some pissed off car drivers than to actually hit a car.

Florida has an AWESOME motorcycle awareness ad on TV. Shows a guy in a car look both ways and go, then he gets T-Boned in the drivers door by a bike. It hits the car so hard your stomach gets queasy. The view is from the passengerse seat! Then they show the same thing with the car driver looking twice and he sees the biker and no accident happens. Freakin awesome ad!

Great questions and thoughts. To this day I still reanalyze what happened and why regarding my accident. Ive always ridden with only one finger covering the brake. Since it happened so fast I can't remember if I attempted to stop with only that one finger or if I got more on the lever before I hit? I definitely don't think I got all the brakes my bike had to offer. Since then I've been riding with two on the lever.

I have been to Florida... and its bad there the drivers! Steer the wheel and pray driving style. Go from one lane to the other.....back to the other.... then to the middle with no signal and with a I dont care what happens.

FastFrogg I was just going at the speed this time!

Yes the horn can work to help you or against you. I hit the horn once I came to a stop for the first OMG issue. The second one required it. Even though he stopped halfway in the lane. I was able to have a clear path to escape.

I hope you went home and got in your truck after that . Not a good day for you to ride

Back