Slabing it took its revenge today

2hip

Registered
Still riding the bike in to work almost everyday. Bt-016's have maybe 4-5k on them and pretty flat through the center axis. Can really feel it when you are carving corners. Just sort of falls off the edge and regains composure quickly once on the tilt.
Today, only 1 mile from work, I was on a frontage road after picking up Chinese I heard a pop! Didn't make too much of it with earplugs on. Started to take a slow bender and the bike wasn't willing to respond to counter steer commands. I thought what the heck? Wiggled the front end and I could tell something was goofy. Pulled over and back tire was about 70 percent deflated. Oh brother!!
Had to get tow truck to take me to work and drop bike in parking lot. All cycle dealers are closed on Mondays...sniff...sniff...
Tomorrow will have to drive back in the truck with tools and stand and go at it. Does that gooey stuff really work to fix the flat and get you home? Is it worthwhile to buy the air pump? Will it get you home. Tow truck driver was 125.00 for the 1 mile lift..most of it for just showing up. My fault because I was down to the central wear bars. I was going to replace them within the next couple of weeks.

Glad to hear you didn't take a spill, a flat rear can put you on the ground pretty easy. If you can bring the stand and some tools to the bike or haul the bike to the shop that would be best. Goop may or may not work depending on how large the leak is. Not worth it IMHO.

I can't find the rate now, but I know the local dealer charges more if you put the tire goop in the wheel...

i carry a plug kit with me everywhere i go. i use a cheepo plug kit with a can of fix-a-flat WITH THE HOSE ON THE CAN!
i can't stress the hose on the can enough.
the ones with the stem out the top of the can will not fit/work.

Pashnit has a really cool mushroom plug kit with infiltrator. neat stuff.

:rulez: always carry a plug kit. it just might save ya $100 or more

pics nov 2010 210.jpg

pics nov 2010 211.jpg

Plug can save the day I got a compressor from Pashnit have a plug kit in the hump also compressor plugs right into the battery tender plug.. :thumbsup: It's already paid for itself when it saved me out in the boonies with a flat 65 miles from civilization, that wrecker bill would have had me slitting my wrist after gettting on the truck :laugh: Now I just need a TPMS to make the package complete :)

let me get this straight alan, the bike gets dumped over at a stoplight, but you keep it on 2 wheels with a blowout? your skills are improving bro, for sure. i've never gotten a flat on my bike, but i can imagine it's pretty tough to keep it upright.

You will be surpised how straight and true it still rides with a flat at normal speeds, when turning thats when WTF goes through your mind and out your lips:laugh:

if you have a stand and tools, i would just yank the back tire off and take it to the dealership to have another one mounted...it's quite easy and my dealership only charges about 1/2 as much if i bring it in off the bike

:poke: by the way...that flat was a little over 3000mi from home & i rode that plug for another 3 almost 400+mi. :grim:

:whistle: and it really helps if you pack your repair kit at the bottom of everything else you packed. :laugh:

i keep it in the tank bag now:rulez:

:whistle: and it really helps if you pack your repair kit at the bottom of everything else you packed. :laugh:

i keep it in the tank bag now:rulez:[/QUOTE]

I hear a chilly steady rain in the dark helps also while doing this repair..:whistle:

Does your insurance offer towing?
AAA is $100 a year for my cars and bikes and it covers up to 100 miles.

I carry a repair kit and electric pump that I bought from Pashinit in the hump also.

If you're anywhere close to the Bay Area and need help, let me know.

TTT

Am I the only one who doesn't understand title to this thread?

Glad your ok and you didn't crash your leetle burro.

Blanca, my dear friend. You have been in the heat too long. Maybe too many chilies from your sweetie pie, huh?:laugh:Yah, the bike had a flat mid section and plenty of wear bar on the side cuts. So, even a little rock can puncture the carcass due to slabbing it. Rocinate is infuriated that you keep calling her a little burro. You know she is a nag....missed you..had to come back for some abuse.:rofl:

Back