SIDI boots, can you walk in them?

DNGrumpy

Sometimes Dopey fits too
Donating Member
Registered
I was all set to go buy myself some proper riding boots and after finally looking at them in person am wondering if you can walk in these things. I know they are new and stiff but damn. I have had foot sugery 3 times and need more, have torn cartilage in both knees and am prone to lower back pain from all the problems from the knees down. I really want the boots but don't want to spend triple digits only to find out I'll never be able to wear the boots without really causing some pain.

I can wear sneakers about 6 weeks and they need to be replaced and work boots maybe 3 months. They slightest bit of arch breakdown causes issues. I have tried all the insoles, they are a waste of money. I buy Nikes or New Balance on sale for around $49, more money does not seem to matter, I just wind up giving away $100 instead of $45-50. Cheaper nonames like HiTech from Walmart last about a week and they are junk. I give lots to the Salvation Army but would not be willing to give these up that quickly. I know they will last me many seasons because they won't get worn that often but back to the original question.

How uncomfortable are they to walk in. You always have to walk at some point during a normal day...

Thanx for any input...

My Sidi Vertigos are very comfortable..Awesome, I can wear them all day at work in the office with no discomfort at all. I don't walk funny in them like I did in the Alpinestars...Sidi's are just terrific...some of the best money I spent on gear.

+1 on the Sidi's
bowdown.gif

I'm very happy with my Sidis. I have troubles with my left foot/leg(I should learn to ride), and they work well.

I have only had mine for about a week so I'am not broken in yet... But what I can say is this... Going from a regular boot like an Icon motorhead or something similar you will need to get used to a more agressive forward angle... At least that is the way it seems to me... Still a very comfortable boot...
good luck!

Sidi Vertebra Air work for me. They are comfortable for a little while , but, of course, it's not a tennis shoe.

DNGrumpy I had metal arch insoles when I was younger so that I wouldnt wear them out so fast.

Have you gone that route?

I love those boots just as much as these guys, but in your situation I would recommend you contact the manufacturer.

Sidi B-1's, just like a mat shoe....very light and comfy. Great for the street and light track work. New Enough.com, $159 tmd.

2005_grey.jpg

+ another 1 on the Sidi's There really isn't that much of a forward lean angle on the boot once they are broken in.

I will say this: They are plenty comfortable for riding and for walking around in at a pit stop, but they are not good for walking long distances at all.

I'm surprised a podiatrist can't make you an insert for your shoes and boots that will last a long time. Or get some dremel tools out and make a wooden set yourself that is customized to you. Just thinking out loud. Hate to see you suffer like that.

--Wag--

Thanks for the input guys. It is a delicate balance with my foot. I have something called Peronis Syndrome. I first got it when I was about 6 years old. It can be crippling if not managed properly. I basically get large cysts on the tendon of the the big toe, they are anywhere from a pencil eraser in size to about a half dollar, they appear somewhere in the arch. They are wicked painful to walk on and cause all kinds of foot cramps (I can't swim or I'll drown, the cramps go all the way up my calf). Usually the cramping just causes my foot to twist up, kinda like a claw. It's a real bitch. The surgery isn't my better, the cyst gets removed but the damn scar tissue is almost as bad to deal with. I have 3 on the left arch right now. They have been there for about 15 years. I have a recent one the right side. More surgery on the left side will sever the tendon and I'll basically be a cripple after that.

The disease progresses to the hands and then the testicles, it attacks the soft tissue. Last November the first signs appeared on my right pinky. The hand part shows as really hard formations on the knuckle that left alone will cause the hand to become clawlike and super painfull. It's not that bad yet, it just kills if I smack it on something. There is a 90% chance of recurance after surgery so I'll wait as long as possible to get it fixed.

I have no other sighns yet and don't really care to talk about what happens next.

So back to the shoe things, there really isn't anything I can put in the shoes to keep them comfy, I have learned to deal with the daily pain, it's been 30 years since it started. I have some streches that help with the cramps and avoid things that cause them, like swimming...

Thanx Guys, I think I'm gonna buy them.

BTW there is no known cure for this and I have to live with it. No Biggie, kinda like winning the lottery but the prize sucks... I don't normally tell people about it, I don't want anyone feeling sorry for me, there are people with lots of worse problems...

I have the SIDI vertigo tepor's and love them. When I ride to work, I actually wear them all day long. No problems whatsoever.

Sidi's are awesome. I would wear them all the time if they didnt cost so much, I dont want to wear them out so I only wear mine when ridding.

Woh grumpy! Thats heavy and borderline too much info with the testicle thing there! Lamb loves the candor though! Good luck with the cysts...............................sorry to put the post off track!

Back