Sidestand / kickstand movement

ottafish

Registered
Here's a question for you all..
Has anybody experienced loose or sloppy sidestand.?

Mine has quite a bit of movement in it. The actual sidestand is fine as I bought a new one. But the hole on the mount on the bike is out of round and has alot of slop in it.

I'm thinking of ordering a new or getting it bushed up and machined back out again.

It has at least 1.5" movement in the down position which gives the bike a really nasty lean.

Anybody had or seen this before?

I had to tighten mine once, but no issues since. Since you are looking at possibly making "new" holes, I would see if you could install a locking kickstand like the Harley Davidson bikes...no more worries of the bike rolling over!

A sidestand moves up and down countless times in the life of a bike and with lubricant comes sand which acts like a grinding agent...

I fear you will have to re-do the pivot point on the frame as well...welded and re-drilled most likely. Nice if it had a brass sleeve as that could have been punched out and replaced.

I take mine off periodically, clean it up to remove any sand and dirt then re-lube.

Is your bike a "high mile'r" 'otta? Thats alot of wear. Did you purchase your bike "previously enjoyed" ,perhaps it was a pizza delivery vehicle
eye brow.gif
with constant use of the side stand. :laugh: I would be hesitant to use a brass sleeve as a new bushing as thin brass wears qwik. Its fine for now till you do something,Jap stands are actually very strong (most apps). If I need to turn a bike around in tight quarters I'll lean it towards me on the stand till the rear tire comes of the ground and give 'er a spin.

spinner.gif

Perhaps this is an' oportunity to design up something that has needed attention in the Busa world since its creation. Everybody used to do the "kick-stand mod."

I had to tighten mine once, but no issues since. Since you are looking at possibly making "new" holes, I would see if you could install a locking kickstand like the Harley Davidson bikes...no more worries of the bike rolling over!
Just be careful advertising the fact that you have stolen HD's long running patented idea for what is called "The Jiffy Stand."
Those HD guys can be pretty hardcore.

"All new Busa stand by ottafish" > :D <
crowbar.gif
harley guy

rofl.gif

Rubb.

Are you sure it's not normal? Mine doesn't fit tight on either of my bikes. The spring holds it firm but it gives a little if I put pressure on it from the side.

I was looking at mine today and it appears the entire bracket can be removed from the frame. If it's worn out, I think I would just buy a new bracket. I was thinking of getting a billet one made from Online Machineshop...maybe? My sidestand is billet and it's never failed me.

At the end of the sidestand, the bit that sits on the ground, it has just on 2" of in and out movement. Whem you put the bike on its stand, it moves out and the bike gets a solid lean to it. The bolt in the bracket is really sloppy and has heaps of movement, which is magnified at the end.
I've ordered a new one and doing the rounds at the wreckers.

The only thing that lets down this awesome bike is the sidestand Not a very good design IMO you have to be careful every time when you lower that stand down and make sure its locked in position :thumbsup:

The only thing that lets down this awesome bike is the sidestand Not a very good design IMO you have to be careful every time when you lower that stand down and make sure its locked in position :thumbsup:
The "side stand mod" has been done for years. it used to be on the "Must Do" list for newbies to Busa and the Org.
5 Busa's later and I've never done it...but I'm a lazy bastid, :laugh:
Rubb.

My bike rolled off it's stand before I got it....it had a little scuffing on the left fairing which I buffed out.

I haven't done the mod but am very cautious when I park it. It is always in gear with the slack taken up in the transmission and I always put my foot on top of the side stand foot to ensure it is properly set before I walk away..

I got into this habit all the back in '85 with my GSXR as it would roll off it's side stand also.

It took me one drop off the side stand to learn. ...but then it still happened a second time. Now I am completely compulsive about making sure the bike can't roll off the stand.
Yep, once you are aware of the issue and take steps to correct it, the issue is no more...even doing the side stand mod has it's own challenges...you have to reach farther to pop the stand up when sitting on the bike, etc.

Odd, only my Suzukis had this problem...

Rubb mate unfortunately I have gone to the darkside :D Last FEBUARY I sold my 08 bird and brought a 2016 ZX14 charcoal grey in colour there is pictures of it here somewhere :thumbsup:
What made you choose the charc over the green? A good deal fell in yer lap?
Don't get me wrong,I love all the shades of black,2 black Busa's,so far...
I'm not usually a fan of green but the thing sure pops...
They are a sweet ride,real head turner. At least yer still hard core :super:
Rubb.

Hope you don t mind ottafish Rubb I don t particular like all green but I don t mind the green and black as that colour does grow on you I liked the charc because i have not seen many in this colour and a completely different to my previous 08 LE pearl white here is a few pics mate :thumbsup:

IMG_2234.JPG

IMG_2212.JPG

(...)which gives the bike a really nasty lean.

Anybody had or seen this before?

hey aussi :)

the following for your reassurance

let it lean how it leans - doesn´t matter to stability - it can´t fall over sidewise.
in the last 12 years i had dozens of busas leaning by the "clearance" at its turning point and we all ignored that.

at the last i guess the "clearance" is usual even when the stand is brand new.

the only thing WE here did an do with any gen1 (and gen2 too) is to cut a little 3 mm deep and ~ 12mm wide "gap" into the sidestand itself at the point it touches the / its stopper point.
that way the stand goes / folds out around 10° more to the front and the bike is a lot saver against hits from the rear - this way gap´ed the sidestand won´t switch in so fast like before.

my recommendation is always the same.

stop the motor with 1st gear in by the stand´s switch
leave 1st gear in
lossen the clutch lever
move the bike front wise til the motor stops it by its compression
pull brake´s lever and
then
lean the bike over to side stand
ignition off and key out - parking is ready.

that way i do it last 30 or 40 years and never my bike fell (over).

that way any bike is much more saver on its side stand

comparing with a car etc.
with a manual gearbox in a car you have the same effect - when parking, go into first gear and the vehicle cannot roll away even at a rel. steep mountain.
I put the reverse gear in if the nose points downwards or
the first gear in when the nose points uphill.
the same effect as on a bike - the engine brake by its compression helps immensely.

Back