Sidestand 101

sherm

Registered
Within the next few months one or more of you new proud busa owners will experience the horror of having your pristine beauty fall on its side because the sidestand self retracted while the bike was parked on what you thought was level ground. It will no longer be pristine and it might cost you several hundred dollars to make everything right again. About fifteen .org participants have had this experience in the past year.

One fix is the "put it in gear - let out the clutch - roll it forward against compression" drill everytime you park the bike. And don't forget to explain the drill to everyone who rides your bike or even sits on it. How many bikes have you owned where you had to go through this procedure every time you parked on what you thought was level ground?(NOTE:THIS PROCEDURE SHOULD BE USED WHENEVER THE BIKE IS PARKED POINTED DOWNHILL)

The other fix is to modify the sidestand so it behaves like the sidestands on all the other bikes you've owned (not counting Ducatis). The most serious Hayabusa design problem can be eliminated for a few bucks.

After my busa fell over (knocking me to the ground as well) I came up with a simple sidestand mod that works. The mod consists of attaching a small plate to the bottom of the sidestand pad. I can sell you a mod kit for $10 or you can do the whole thing yourself - maybe for a lot less.

The point I want to make is that the Hayabusa sidestand problem can get very serious very quickly, but it can be fixed once and for all very cheaply.

Info on the modification can be found at www.shermworks.com/moto.htm

Yup almost happened to me when I was polishing the tank. My 6 year old daughter was helping me. I turned to get something and the 'busa started to go over. Luckily, I was able to push my daughter under my Hayabusa to cushion the fall. I still have another daughter left.

of course I'm kidding. heh heh. But we all feel a wee bit that attached to our bikes, no?

Side stand story.

I was out riding in the mountains with my wife and we got caught in a freak wind storm that you would not believe (it was flipping boats over in a nearby lake). We had just stopped on the side of the road when the storm hit. Major wind gusts.

Anyways, I had just got the Busa, and the wind almost had the bike off the side stand, and would have succeeded if not for my wife. My wife was standing there, holding the bike up, and grabbing the front brake hard. Quick thinking on her part, for which I am indebted.

I was off taking a wiz in the ditch when I looked back and saw her holding onto the bike as best she could. It was blowing incredibly hard. Needless to say I finished up my business pretty quick.

Unfortunately, her helmet, which I sat down on the side of the road did not fare so well as the wind took it for a ride.

I guess you had to be there.

Well, I've avoided this problem but just barely. Last week, it happened but I managed to throw my body under the bike - cushioning it's fall.

I should be out of rehab soon and would like to make this mod of yours ASAP. ;-)

I'll email you directly about how to get this.

Joe Zulaski

Back