Sick to my stomach...

As far as the heart ache of smashing up a beloved custom project I can relate to that, I am sorry.
It was about 20 years ago and she was a 82 katana, just put in big bore kit, welded crank, ported head, flat side mikuni’s etc. the odometer just turned over 1000kms. Break in over time to let her rip.
My buddy on his shiny green 1998 ZX7 pulled up beside me at a red light, GO!
The intersection was humped and that was enough to get the front wheel in the air and I was very inexperienced at the time. As I slid back on the seat I instinctively grabbed the throttle and looped it hard. It landed on the clocks and smashed the top triple clamp, bent the frame and was totaled.
It was heart breaking and I only had my own inexperience to blame. I felt the fool and had no money to fix her up.
So, I understand your pain.

I’ll start by saying this. You filled it with 89. Gen 2s require premium fuel 91+. If you got a bad tank of fuel chances are it detonated and hammered the rod bearing out of it. Pretty rare on stock motor NA bikes, but I’ve seen it happen from time to time specially on bikes that just have a downloaded map for an aftermarket exhaust.
Thats what i thought exactly. 89 octane could be the reason motor blew up like that. There is a reason why they tell you to put 90+

As far as the heart ache of smashing up a beloved custom project I can relate to that, I am sorry.
It was about 20 years ago and she was a 82 katana, just put in big bore kit, welded crank, ported head, flat side mikuni’s etc. the odometer just turned over 1000kms. Break in over time to let her rip.
My buddy on his shiny green 1998 ZX7 pulled up beside me at a red light, GO!
The intersection was humped and that was enough to get the front wheel in the air and I was very inexperienced at the time. As I slid back on the seat I instinctively grabbed the throttle and looped it hard. It landed on the clocks and smashed the top triple clamp, bent the frame and was totaled.
It was heart breaking and I only had my own inexperience to blame. I felt the fool and had no money to fix her up.
So, I understand your pain.

Time to relive that dream? I have an '83 Katana with a 1260 big-bore engine in it that sits around unused most of the time... it would likely appreciate a new ham-fisted rider to almost loop it on a regular basis. :poke::thumbsup:

We've been hearing this for years..."But I was only going...."
It will never stop.
Its proven that a huge percentage of crashes happen close to home.
The same argument will ensue every time as well. Gear Noghtzies vs the tanktop and flip-floppers.
Glad your OK,but even when this is read by others,no lesson will be learned.Turbo Busa,maybe not for everyone. All gear,all the time. Sad really.
Rubb.
Close to home=brake pads are cold and so are the tires. Low grip and low braking power.

Between the bill from the ambulance ride, ER visit, and repair for the bike, i hope they take note. This was a expensive lesson for myself, hopefully I can save them the money.
Time to get a airbag vest from Alpinestar. The new ones can be used with any jacket. Around 650 for one. Saves ya a bunch on broken bones and bruised organs. Well worth the money spent.

Close to home=brake pads are cold and so are the tires. Low grip and low braking power.
Plus Close to Coming Home=Long ride perhaps. Tired,less concentration.Thinking about whats at home (angry significant other):laugh: 'cause you've been gone too long,or the good things.Hot meal,cold beer.
Rubb.

Time to relive that dream? I have an '83 Katana with a 1260 big-bore engine in it that sits around unused most of the time... it would likely appreciate a new ham-fisted rider to almost loop it on a regular basis. :poke::thumbsup:
Thanks but I already have one, put that same motor in a 750 frame.

Back