My oil looked like...

quikbusa

Donating Member
Registered
I just changed my oil in the busa. I did my first change at 350 miles and just did the second change last night at 3,500 miles. The oil looked horrible to me. It was very dirty and had a red tint to it. Before you flame me I know that oil should be dirty. I have done plenty of changes in the past with cars and bikes, but I am not used to using synthetic in my cars etc.

I am contemplating changing it more often due to the appeareance of the oil. I use Castrol Syntec 10w-40 with a fram filter ph6018.

Any thoughts.

Throw the Fram as far as you can then run..............
laugh.gif
yeah, fram's aren't the greatest... I'm gonna start using K&N, heard they're the ones to use.
wink.gif

Yeah, Fram Filters aren't the best if I remember right, and Castrol... Don't get me started...

If you are using cheap Auto Oil I would change the oil about every 500-1000 miles... A good quality bike specifici oil designed to handle the laods and shearing forces of the tranny, about every 2-3K, and if you use a High Quality Full Synthetic like Silkolene, Motul, Redline, then you can stretch it to about 5K without any concerns.

K&N filters rate pretty highly, Suzuki OEMs aren't bad either.

Just changed mine at 650 miles, but somehow think I should have changed it sooner. I used OE filter and oil. Will likely go w/ synthetic on next change.

Cleaned and tightened chain...bike runs sooo much smoother now.

Heard bad things about Fram filters for moto.

Careful with K&N - they have a nut on the end of 'em making them longer then oem. I've heard they don't always clear the header...

castrol....derived from castor oil.
wink.gif

the suzuki filters are only 9.00........ is it really worth saving a few dollars?

never used a k&n ....but never heard anything bad about them.

it's florida.....it's hard on oil. the dirt you likely see is also the clutch fibers wearing. the harder you ride, the faster is gets dirty.

my first change was at 80 miles...then 300 (sticking with dyno oils for a while).
I've been using amzoil 10-40 Motorcyle oil and suzuki filters since the 1K mile mark...and not only did the transmission shift better...but it stays semi clear longer. But I do change my oil about every 2500 miles.....I go longer if touring.

If you can find a local independant dealer (there are a couple over here in St. Pete / Tampa)...you can get the amzoil for about 5.00/qt. ..... it's better than the 8.00 most places want retail.
I pick up about a case of amzoil every 3 months or so at the local bike night (QSL)....4qts for the busa and 7qts for the Hemi....they both love it.

I just changed my oil in the busa.  I did my first change at 350 miles and just did the second change last night at 3,500 miles.  The oil looked horrible to me.  It was very dirty and had a red tint to it.  Before you flame me I know that oil should be dirty.  I have done plenty of changes in the past with cars and bikes, but I am not used to using synthetic in my cars etc.

I am contemplating changing it more often due to the appeareance of the oil.  I use Castrol Syntec 10w-40 with a fram filter ph6018.

Any thoughts.
Guy at the Suzuki stealership told me that if they see a fram on the bike, they void the warantee (not sure how much BS the guy was full of) but said they sucked. I use the Suzuki 1 myself. I was told if ya cut a fram filter it has about 1/2 the paper as other, but never did it myself.

On synthetic Oil, you could change every 50 miles and it would look like Sh*t. not sure why, but Synth Oil always seems to look like sh*t every change.

Personally seeing as i'm in Florida also, it gets hot as ballz and that's hard on Oil. I only use amzoil, and the OEM filters. Although i hear good things about 1 of the Mobil Syn versions (can't remember the version)

<!--EDIT|Cykill
Reason for Edit: None given...|1153776264 -->

I use the Amsoil 20/50 full synthetic and a K&N filter . The Amsoil is about $8.00 a quart most times but she's worth it. I buy 4 quarts at a time and she takes about 3 1/2 quarts so I always have one extra quart laying around . Some guys put 4 quarts in theirs and fill their sight window all the way up .

Read this on oil filters it will (or should anyways) open your eyes. I had a bad experieince with the K&N once and have since gone back to the Factory Suzuki filter. I really want one of the scotts reusable (not tested here) filters though. Though I was able to find a Purolator Pure one (see the Honda filter section at the bottom for the review of these) {Model number ML-16818} filter now available for the Hayabusa... Anybody know where you can find one of these?

http://motorcycleinfo.calsci.com/FilterStudy.html

Im going to ride a hundred miles or so and then change the oil to mobil1 Motorcycle MX4. I am going to buy the suzuki filter also. Thanks guys.

The Mobil 1 auto oil is fine. The shear load factor isn't a worry unless you run it for 10K miles. Its less than $5 a quart and is on par with the $8 Amsoil. That and a Suzuki filter and it shifts "like buttah".

Mobile MX4t with Zuk oil filter...noticed the difference especially in the tranny. Good stuff
muscle.gif
Now that's all she'll get.

I use the Amsoil 20/50 full synthetic and a K&N filter . The Amsoil is about $8.00 a quart most times but she's worth it. I buy 4 quarts at a time and she takes about 3 1/2 quarts so I always have one extra quart laying around . Some guys put 4 quarts in theirs and fill their sight window all the way up .
20w50 holy crap.......here's some advise......get that thick crap out of your bike.....your losing a bunch of horse power....damn brother, it's a motorcycle not a peterbuilt truck.......& 8 bucks a qt.shoot save some money & put some moble one 5w-30 in it. trust me you'll notice the difference

Back