Sick Busa Update

BusaWhipped

Donating Member
Registered
As some of you know, I put the Busa on the trailer early on Sunday and missed out on 1/2 a day of great riding because the Busa was having problems. Its been in the shop for a week now, and I went up to visit her today.

The mechanic couldn't reproduce the problem. He ran her at 45, 50, 80, and 100 and everything was working fine. So I took her out backroading for about 15 miles, and all is fine. All we can figure out is that with the altitude and pace that I was running, the oil was breaking down and causing things to start binding up. That could be part of the reason I wasn't enjoying the Skyway so much. The bike was really tightening up over 4,000 feet.

So out with the dino oil and in with full synthetic. Hopefully I didn't do too much bearing damage and the synthetic will cure the probem. Of course I generally don't spend all day in 2nd gear around here like I was on those twisty mountain roads
biggrin.gif

beerchug.gif
Glad you've got the problem solved, and hopefully nothing else troubles you.

Hummmmmmmm
wink.gif
, I've never hear of oil problems binding up at altitude and with warm oil. You might look to something else since 4,000 ft isn't really very high
rock.gif

(DaCol. @ May 05 2007,11:52) Hummmmmmmm
wink.gif
, I've never hear of oil problems binding up at altitude and with warm oil. You might look to something else since 4,000 ft isn't really very high
rock.gif
+1

I know, sounds flakey. The altitude with the oil thought is from the engine working harder because of the thin air. I know, it sounds flakey, but since its stopped doing it now that I'm home and near sea level again I really don't want to start tearing into the case if the problem can't be reproduced.

The engine could have been leaning out, but that's not the whole issue since the Busa would rapidly decelerate going down a 7% grade while off the brakes and with the clutch pulled in. At first I thought I had a brake caliper hanging up, but that isn't it. Then I thought wheel bearing, but they all seem fine. It really is pointing to a transmission bearing going, but it isn't happening now. Maybe if I get it out for a long ride it'll happen again? Maybe the synthetic will keep everything spining. Don't know.

(BusaWhipped @ May 05 2007,12:21) The engine could have been leaning out, but that's not the whole issue since the Busa would rapidly decelerate going down a 7% grade while off the brakes and with the clutch pulled in. At first I thought I had a brake caliper hanging up, but that isn't it. Then I thought wheel bearing, but they all seem fine. It really is pointing to a transmission bearing going, but it isn't happening now. Maybe if I get it out for a long ride it'll happen again? Maybe the synthetic will keep everything spining. Don't know.
Do you have another shop to take her to, Dennis? That sounds like something pretty serious to me. It only happened with the clutch in, no breaks and coasting down hill, or did this rapid deceleration happen in some other situations? I wonder if you have water in your gas line?

The binding that BW is talking about was happening even without the motor running, first gear, clutch in, you could clearly feel that something was dragging on the bike when you'd push it. My thought was clutch not disengaging completely, but some of the reported symptoms don't line up with that.

BW - If I were you, I'd ask them to save te oil when they drain it (if it's not too late already) and then take it in for analysis. If it was breaking down, it should show up in analysis and give you some peace of mind...

glad your baby seems to be acting ok now but if you want to take her out for a long spin, i can meet up with you anytime this next week except for Monday and Friday if you want someone to ride along with you...just send me a pm
beerchug.gif

Thanks Semi. I probably won't haver her back from the shop until Tuesday. Then I needs to get the tags renewed. Sounds like Thursday might be a possibility.
super.gif

Good luck, I know that I was gassing you out running second gear hard, but then again I need to change my plugs.
SHOCKED.gif

(BusaWhipped @ May 05 2007,16:14) Thanks Semi.  I probably won't haver her back from the shop until Tuesday.  Then I needs to get the tags renewed.  Sounds like Thursday might be a possibility.  
super.gif
works for me
beerchug.gif

(BusaWhipped @ May 05 2007,20:26)
(BA BUSA @ May 05 2007,22:12) Oil is not the problem...did you check your brakes
rock.gif
Yep.  That's the first thing I thought it was.  But they checked out OK.
Could of been a stuck piston in one of the calipers...look at all the rotors, front and rear, BOTH sides of each rotor
for any hot spots (black and or blue discoloration).

Back