Should I go up 2 or 3 on the rear?

LastBusa

Registered
As I have to change the chain and sprockets anyway, should I go up 2 or 3 on the rear sprocket?

I have played with different front/rear combos in the dirtbike and atv world and am fully aware of what this does but have never ridden a hayabusa with other than stock gearing. Does it make 1st gear too short? Does it severely effect gas mileage on the longer trips?

Would the people who have done this chime in with pros/cons?

Thanks in advance for your comments...

I went 4 up on the rear and love it. It didn't shorten up 1st as much as I thought it would and my miles are still good. I haven't tryied anything other than stock and +4 so I can't tell you how much 2 or 3 does.

I have a +3 rear on my 08. I love it. Rpms are up only around 400, none of the gears are too short, including 1st. Gas mileage changes very little for highway cruising, and the bike noticeably has alot more low end grunt. +2 is fine, +3 is better, and either fit the stock length chain fine with plenty of slack and adjustment. The wheelbase shortens by over an inch and improves handling through curves.
I've also played with alot of gearing changes on many dirt and sportbikes over the years, and I think the +3 is a great improvement for street riding. You also lose very little speed per gear and top end, not noticeable unless you're trying to get a faster top speed:beerchug:

Just some FYI, I had to get a longer chain with my +4. Like sixpack said, +3 and under you can use the stock chain length.

Thanks for the replies. Anyone know how many extra teeth for +3 to keep the same wheelbase or maybe even lengthen it a little? A search brought up a chart on this site that has info about chains/sprockets/lengths/extended swing arms but it didn't have info about retaining or increasing length with a stock swing arm and a bigger rear sprocket.

Last edited:
+ 3 and love it! Get a speedohealer too! +3 will shorten the wheel base if you use the stock chain. You will have to replace the chain if you want it back to stock length with the stock sprocket. I dont think it will void your warranty. They did my rectifier without an issue with my mods done to my bike!

Thanks for the replies. Anyone know how many extra teeth for +3 to keep the same wheelbase or maybe even lengthen it a little? A search brought up a chart on this site that has info about chains/sprockets/lengths/extended swing arms but it didn't have info about retaining or increasing length with a stock swing arm and a bigger rear sprocket.

You would need to add 2 links to your chain to keep your wheelbase similiar to stock(you should buy a new chain if you want to go that route). Stock gen2 is 114 links, and 18/43 sprockets.

Links can also not be added individually, 2, or 4, or 6, ect. 2 extra may still have your wheelbase slightly shorter, and 4 may cause you to have too much slack. You body weight will affect this as to how far the rear spring compresses and thus the chain tightens.
You can add links, but it's really more trouble than it's worth and kind of defeats the purpose.:beerchug:

Slight hijack... :rulez:

... but would installing a 190/55 rear compensate for the +3? I'm looking to go 55 but don't want to lose any low-end performance.

Slight hijack... :rulez:

... but would installing a 190/55 rear compensate for the +3? I'm looking to go 55 but don't want to lose any low-end performance.

From what I understand if you want to break 200mph on a stock/slightly modded derestricted gen2 you need to go down to a 41 tooth rear(43 is stock), or up to a 55 series tire.
So it seems that the difference in tire height equals 2 teeth.
Ballpark example.

I went up 2 on the rear and down one on the front and it's perfect for me...
Good luck with whatever you go with.:beerchug:

"
... but would installing a 190/55 rear compensate for the +3? I'm looking to go 55 but don't want to lose any low-end performance."

I am currently running a 190/55 on the rear with a +3 on the rear sprocket and havent noticed a major loss of low end! It may affect it slightly like having a +2.5 rear sprocket. I like the 190/55 for the height and better contact patch. I am also up in the rear +1" too! The busa handles much better!

Anyone know exactly how much shorter the wheelbase becomes going +3 in the back?
Roughly, around 1". How much you weigh and how much the rear spring compresses will affect how you adjust chain slack, and thus the rear axle position.

ok so now this makes me have a question haha, im a big guy around 300lbs and on my gen 1 im thinking about going -1 front +2 rear and I run a 55 rear tire.. whats that going to do for performance and whats it going to do to the speedo?

I went up 3 in the rear and it's going back to stock next time around RPMS to high in 6 gear on the highway at 70 mph for my taste

Back