Final Drive Ratio

StwBusa

Banned
Ok.... I have a Gen 2 and I am going to change the rear sprocket to a 46T.. According to "Gearing Commander" this is a 6.98% reduction of the final drive ratio (I know I am a geek ...sorry :lol:) So my question is this... I know the effects of reducing the gearing on top end and RPM at any given speed but does changing this ratio in effect increase torque by nearly 7 % or does it not work that way??? Does anyone know???

:beerchug:

Ok.... I have a Gen 2 and I am going to change the rear sprocket to a 46T.. According to "Gearing Commander" this is a 6.98% reduction of the final drive ratio (I know I am a geek ...sorry :lol:) So my question is this... I know the effects of reducing the gearing on top end and RPM at any given speed but does changing this ratio in effect increase torque by nearly 7 % or does it not work that way??? Does anyone know???

:beerchug:

It doesn't work that way. It just changes what road speed the torque is generated at.

It doesn't work that way. It just changes what road speed the torque is generated at.

Whilst I cannot deny what you say is correct...It appears from what I am reading that the bike will appear to have more torque due to the effect of torque multiplication by the gearing... :thumbsup:

Busawhipped is correct in motor torque. What we are talking about is torque to the tire which will increase. I call it torque to the tire (TTT). It just depends on which one you are talking about.

I think the words people were looking for are:

Mechanical Advantage....

Your torque output remains the same at the engine, but you have increased your mechanical advantage at the tire, which is a torque multiplier in effect..

What did the 46 do to your fuel mileage at highway speeds?

It's a very small difference(2 or 3 mpg) if you ride it easy or are just cruising at 70mph. Riding hard(which is most of my time:laugh:) it's noticeable, but I still get mid thirties.

I am running a 46t on my bike and there is not much mileage differance between mine and other busas but the "seat of the pants" department was noticablely better to me after riding a stock geared busa. You will be happy. Im not sure how it will affect the front end wanting to lift though because im running 6 over but i could imagine a little extra hang time may happen. Good luck man!:beerchug:

I am running a 46t on my bike and there is not much mileage differance between mine and other busas but the "seat of the pants" department was noticablely better to me after riding a stock geared busa. You will be happy. Im not sure how it will affect the front end wanting to lift though because im running 6 over but i could imagine a little extra hang time may happen. Good luck man!:beerchug:

I thought wheelies were easy stock, 46 makes them even better!:thumbsup:

I am just not manly enough to do that. My 2008 scares me to death in 1st gear when WOT. I am at high altitude, I can't imagine sea level. You are some balls on you!

You dont have to be anywhere close to WOT in 1st to pull the front end. In fact, if you are at WOT when the front comes up you most likely don't have any control and wont be able to stop the climb at the balance point which is even more dangerous then it has to be and not the way to ride wheelies. In first gear, I can power up the front up and balanced without getting much above 6 grand. I personally am partial to clutching up in 2nd with a little road speed so that throttle repsonse is not so touchy at the balance point.

Back