Anyone run -1 / +2 or something similar on the street?

Blkoutbusa

Registered
Currently +2 rear and debating -1 front for some extra pep once in a while. Easy enough to swap sprockets.

Anyone run it on a daily rider?

Yeah I think the stock gearing is 17/40 right??

A while back I did that switch and changed to a 16/42. It was fun for a while and I definitely noticed a difference but you lose top speed and I didn’t like the way it rode overtime. Don’t get me wrong it was fun @ 1st but I grew tired of it and Eventually switched back to stock configuration

I've been running standard 18t front with 47t rear with 200/55 tire , and it is serious fun . Still got plenty of top end speed for my Busa's hunting ranges , I mean favorite roads , but rolls on hard from any speed and any gear , like a Busa should . I'd go to what Sixpack recommends for 190/55 , that would be 18t/46t for the same killer acceleration . I have heard that ideally , the Busa motor loves the front big front sprockets best , so I went with bigger rear and longer chain .

I have not done it on a Busa but I had it on my ZRX. It raised the rpm to same mph by about 700 rpm. Made the Rex a bullet in the twisties. Hit them in third gear and never ever shift up to any speed you could expect on the street. Added bonus was same chain length. Down side was chain adjuster marks were no longer useful.
It was however a bit noisier on the highway at 75/80
I did not loose any top end because the lack of areodynamics would stop me before the engine got to max revs
All that said unless you really think you need more acceleration with an even more wheelie prone bike I'm not sure it is the best idea. Not for me at least

I have not done it on a Busa but I had it on my ZRX. It raised the rpm to same mph by about 700 rpm. Made the Rex a bullet in the twisties. Hit them in third gear and never ever shift up to any speed you could expect on the street. Added bonus was same chain length. Down side was chain adjuster marks were no longer useful.
It was however a bit noisier on the highway at 75/80
I did not loose any top end because the lack of areodynamics would stop me before the engine got to max revs
All that said unless you really think you need more acceleration with an even more wheelie prone bike I'm not sure it is the best idea. Not for me at least
Hi. I will be running +3 front and -6 rear. But not on the street. +1 front +2 to 4 rear but I will have to see what I go through the traps at to see what is best

I ran -1/+2 on my '09 Busa with no complaints. It really woke the bike up! I can't comment on long highway droning though since there are no real highways anywhere near me... the change did allow me to start using 4th gear after years of not needing anything past 3rd. :thumbsup:

I had 18/43(stock) on my 08 Busa and 08 B-King
I switched both to 18/46, 17/43, and 17/46
All combinations fit the stock length chain, and with plenty of adjustment.
I preffered the feel of the 18/46 on both, and with an ecu flash.
The extra low end umph combined with more lower rpm timing(from the flash), put the power curve in the perfect spot for agressive riding, and rpm's were only up around 600.
The 17/46 was really fun too, noticeably quicker and more snappy than the 18/46.
But I like to ride long balanced wheelies, and I felt like the 17/46 made the throttle too twitchy for that, with the stock throttle tube as well, a quick turn throttle would've made the twitchyness much worse.
The -1 front lengthens the wheelbase where a +2 or 3 rear shortens the wheelbase, the difference is small, and depending on how many gearing combos you have tried, you may or may not notice the small difference between the two. I prefer the +3 rear for shorter wheelbase, even though it's minimal, it's better for cornering and wheelies.
Sprockets are cheap enough to try several, and as long as you clean and adjust the chain properly, the chain isn't going to suffer from sprocket swaps.
Definately have the ecu flashed if you haven't already, because as said, it really wakens up things up combined with lower gearing.

Yeah I think the stock gearing is 17/40 right??

A while back I did that switch and changed to a 16/42. It was fun for a while and I definitely noticed a difference but you lose top speed and I didn’t like the way it rode overtime. Don’t get me wrong it was fun @ 1st but I grew tired of it and Eventually switched back to stock configuration

Stock gearing
Gen1 17/40
Gen2 18/43

I ran -1/+2 when I stretched my bike. It was really good but kinda sucked at cruising speeds on the highway. Then I accidentally went -1/+4 when I put my rear r1 wheel on. It definitely surprised a lot of people when I went roll racing with that gearing. It really sucked at highway speeds too

Back