is it +2 or +3 up in the rear is the same as-1 in the front??

squale147

Registered
whats up gays/gals..wanted to try some gearing changes and wanted to go with a rear but wasent sure if it was +2 OR+3 UP in the rear would be the same as -1 in the front..thanks for the help

Ohhh no, here we ago again. 5 pages of debating i see it now.
Some will say its a different feeling and you cant compare -1 to any of the rear change as vice versa. Just do the math of your combinations... example 17t ÷ 43r = x.xxx

i agree with lankee your going to have a 5-10page argument lol, do a search for sprockets and read some that are already out there

-1F = 40 (16/40)
+2R = 40.48 (17/42)
+3R = 39.53 (17/43)

+2.5 is what you're looking for, buying a 43 and chewing off a half tooth with a grinder might work. That or else, I donno, going -1 on the front would probably give you that -1 on the front result you're looking for.

most go with the +3 if they are wanting to bump it up a bit :beerchug:

-1F = 40 (16/40)
+2R = 40.48 (17/42)
+3R = 39.53 (17/43)

+2.5 is what you're looking for, buying a 43 and chewing off a half tooth with a grinder might work. That or else, I donno, going -1 on the front would probably give you that -1 on the front result you're looking for.

Above is Gen-1

Gen-2 is:
Stock: 43/18 = 2.388
-1 43/17 = 2.529
+2 45/18 = 2.5
+3 46/18= 2.555

So minus 1 front is about the same as plus 2.5 in the rear.

i used to always go -1. but this time i went with +3. its about the same feel for me but the +3 feels smoother and quieter. really like it

THANKS all for the replys...im not lookin to start a war about this just wanted a quick answer to witch it was eather +2 or+3 in the rear to give me -1 in the front..one more thing.. i thought i remember guys were saying that the stock chain will work with a +3 rear is this true??

THANKS all for the replys...im not lookin to start a war about this just wanted a quick answer to witch it was eather +2 or+3 in the rear to give me -1 in the front..one more thing.. i thought i remember guys were saying that the stock chain will work with a +3 rear is this true??

Yes you're trying to stir the shid

Yes +3 is the way to go IMHO

Yes the stock chain will work, you'll just be running a shorter wheelbase and riding a wheelie monster :laugh:

NOT A MECHANIC OR STUNTER

gearingcommander.com

I went +3 in the rear. After a lot of research I feel it is a better choice. Just waiting on my speedo healer. Plus the advantage of shorter wheel base for some twisty action. But yeah this thread will go forever...lol

I went +3 in the rear. After a lot of research I feel it is a better choice. Just waiting on my speedo healer. Plus the advantage of shorter wheel base for some twisty action. But yeah this thread will go forever...lol

thanks for the reply...how does it affect top speed the +3 rear? will it loose it or will it help it get there quicker?? thanks

thanks for the reply...how does it affect top speed the +3 rear? will it loose it or will it help it get there quicker?? thanks
You will lose top end, but from memory +3 you'll still get over 170. You've been given several links :laugh:

I think I'm loosing it, did this thread get policed :laugh:

Back