Shinko Rear Tire

dadofthree

Seasoned Beef
Donating Member
Registered
Went to Maxton a few weeks back and lost a brand new PP 2CT to a razor blade. Had less than 300 miles on it.

Anyway; I was lucky enough to find a bike shop near by and get a rear tire. The only tire he had for the Busa was a Shinko Advance 005.

Ever since I have had a sever shimmy when exceeding 130 MPH straight and the same problem when hitting a sweeping turn above 100 MPH.

This shimmy would be described as a tank slapper and can be unnerving.

Is the rear tire the problem or is this a coincidence

I have seen Shikos take quite a bit of weight to get them to balance. I'd suspect the tire or balance job.

humm i hope its not the tire, i will be running one of those soon, well maybe not, anyway, have you rechecked the axel nut, spacers and such, maybe something is out of sorts...curious...

I have seen Shikos take quite a bit of weight to get them to balance. I'd suspect the tire or balance job.
I don't believe he balanced the tire. With my other tires I just put the mark on the stem and ran fine to 180.

He did get the rotation correct, need to see if he landed the line up right.

I can see why guys use Shinkos for the strip. Got a good 4 inch patch with 38 PSI

Thanx

humm i hope its not the tire, i will be running one of those soon, well maybe not, anyway, have you rechecked the axel nut, spacers and such, maybe something is out of sorts...curious...
Everything is tight and looks right, hopefully the spacers are there.
wowold.gif

DO3 he should have balance that tire infact if it is not balanced then if I was a betting man I would bet that is most likely 100% of you problem M/C tire need to be balanced just like car tires I have seen tires that have been put on the rim that were lined up and in right rotation that required 2oz of weight or more to get them to balance out.

I don't believe he balanced the tire. With my other tires I just put the mark on the stem and ran fine to 180.

He did get the rotation correct, need to see if he landed the line up right.

I can see why guys use Shinkos for the strip. Got a good 4 inch patch with 38 PSI

Thanx
I've had 5 tires mounted in the last 4 weeks. 1 Shinko and 4 Michelins. The Shinko (180 Ultrasoft 003 rear)took 3.5 oz to balance, 2 Michelins (PP 2CT front and PP rear) took Zero ozs 2 Michelin Race rears .5 and .25 oz.

I think if you have it balanced you might just take care of it. Careful witht the high speeds on it. I think it is only rated to 165 or so on most bikes are not as heavy as a Busa!

i just replaced a shinko with a PP 2 CT, I hated that tire,great for going straight but terrible lean angle...i had some weights attached to one side of the rim that i didnt need when i got the PP balanced and it should be balanced with rotor on

Well, just put a new Michelin PP 2CT on today and took her out for a test ride. Bike was smooth up to 170, no problems. I have my ride back. The Shinko became very squared off, almost like a car tire and was terrible to turn in. Everything is right with the bike again.

I've been told that the quality of todays tires is exceptional and even though balancing the tire every time would be the best way to go I've had great success with just getting the rotation correct and mounting the barcode with the valve stem. Some tires have dots for this purpose.

+1 I have personally mounted a Shinko that required almost 3oz of weight to balance out. I tried to turn the tire on the rime and a couple of other things every time almost 3oz when I put it on the balancer.

The name alone deos not inspire confidence. I never ran a shinko, and something tells me I never will.......

DO3 I have noticed the square'n out. It happens just before you hit the wear bars
I guess if you warm it up good or you're at a good sticky track it would be great with that 4" patch, but on the road I was having a ball. 3.5K in first, twist, light it up, front wheel up, second gear, arse going right, third gear, arse going right..................

The Shinko 005 has a W speed rating. Correct me if I'm wrong, but does not the busa require a tire that has a Z speed rating?

cheers
ken

once Shinkos are mounted correctly they are a very good tire for the money, just not the best. For people who go through tires every 1500 miles they are great. the 005 even corners well, but as I said they need to be mounted very careful. They run good also at high speeds. I think I have run through 6 backs. I do prefer Bridgestones all around though.

The name alone deos not inspire confidence. I never ran a shinko, and something tells me I never will.......
These are the same tire as the old Yokohoma.
I've run: metzeler, dunlop, pirelli, and bridgestone (including track days) and none of them took much weight (if any) to balance. I have no complaints about any of them. I think I will stick with those. There are some differences in feel of those brands though...

Back