shifting problems

paineless4u

Donating Member
Registered
Ok I passed the MSF Course and rode the 04 Busa for the first time today. It was wet out so I was not really blasting the thing but I noticed that when I rev 1st gear and try to shift into 2nd it will not shift up all the time, especially during a hard 1st gear acceleration. I tried fulling pulling in the clutch and really forcing the shift lever up but no dice. I know this is not normal and need some advice.......oh by the way that thing pulls forever!!!!! Very impressed with the pull this thing has. I was thinking to myself that 100mph on a bike is pretty fast and I still have 3 more gears,,,,,,hahaha gotta love it.....

Ok I passed the MSF Course and rode the 04 Busa for the first time today. It was wet out so I was not really blasting the thing but I noticed that when I rev 1st gear and try to shift into 2nd it will not shift up all the time, especially during a hard 1st gear acceleration. I tried fulling pulling in the clutch and really forcing the shift lever up but no dice. I know this is not normal and need some advice.......oh by the way that thing pulls forever!!!!! Very impressed with the pull this thing has. I was thinking to myself that 100mph on a bike is pretty fast and I still have 3 more gears,,,,,,hahaha gotta love it.....
Congrats on the first ride.
beerchug.gif
I can imagine your grin.
biggrin.gif
Sounds like the busa Gods came through again on the new busa rain curse. Seems most folks take their first busa ride on rain soaked roads.
biggrin.gif
I know I did... Came a turd floater while we were doin' the paperwork. Maybe the Gods do this to keep us from really twistin' it up too soon and landin' on our asses?
laugh.gif

I can't help on the shiftin' problem. Only real shift problem I had with Train was a few false neutrals where it would jump outta gear. After a few miles and learnin' to use a little force when shiftin' that went away. Hopefully you can get it sorted out quickly though. It always sucks to have trouble out of a new ride.

biggrin.gif

.......oh by the way that thing pulls forever!!!!! Very impressed with the pull this thing has. I was thinking to myself that 100mph on a bike is pretty fast and I still have 3 more gears,,,,,,hahaha gotta love it.....
Also meant to say... wait until you see for yourself that the top of third gear is good for 150+ MPH with stock gearing... AND YOU STILL HAVE THREE GEARS!!!
super.gif
THAT is when you GOTTA love it!!!
biggrin.gif

<!--EDIT|BulletTrain
Reason for Edit: None given...|1099077122 -->

yeah man that bike is pretty awesome. I was trying to load the rings early and get'em seated with some 4th gear roll'ons and the thing would not stop pulling. I can't imagine a launch feeling and with second gear not always shifting make me a bit hesitent.

yeah man that bike is pretty awesome. I was trying to load the rings early and get'em seated with some 4th gear roll'ons and the thing would not stop pulling. I can't imagine a launch feeling and with second gear not always shifting make me a bit hesitent.
Enjoy, but be careful... Oh, and post up some pics of yer new ride!
beerchug.gif

Ummm, Not sure what your problem is really. The early life a Busa Tranny is a little rough. It's shift quality and any holes or false neutrals should clear up after your 600 mile service and you learn to really shift the thing firmly.

If the Tranny is under load, as in your accelerating even a little bit, the shift lever WILL NOT MOVE UNLESS YOU PULL IN THE CLUTCH. If you were try ing to shift without the clutch, you were just getting it wrong I'd guess.

Basically you want to be on the gas, then Roll off enough to eliminate ANY load on the tranny and shift into second. And repeat up through the gears. Try PRE-Loading the shift lever while under acceleration, go ahead and apply some firm pressure. When your ready to shift? Just roll off and on the throttle a bit, and it will *Snick* right into 2nd, 3rd, or fourth. If your moving too slow or not using the throttle properly, it just wont work wihtout the clutch.

Ummm, Not sure what your problem is really. The early life a Busa Tranny is a little rough. It's shift quality and any holes or false neutrals should clear up after your 600 mile service and you learn to really shift the thing firmly.

If the Tranny is under load, as in your accelerating even a little bit, the shift lever WILL NOT MOVE UNLESS YOU PULL IN THE CLUTCH. If you were try ing to shift without the clutch, you were just getting it wrong I'd guess.

Basically you want to be on the gas, then Roll off enough to eliminate ANY load on the tranny and shift into second. And repeat up through the gears. Try PRE-Loading the shift lever while under acceleration, go ahead and apply some firm pressure. When your ready to shift? Just roll off and on the throttle a bit, and it will *Snick* right into 2nd, 3rd, or fourth. If your moving too slow or not using the throttle properly, it just wont work wihtout the clutch.
My thoughts, too, until he said he tried fully pullin' in the clutch and no dice...
wink.gif

Still could be rider error, but if he pulled the clutch all the way in and it still wouldn't shift it may be somethin' else...

Hey, lemme ask ya this painless... Is your clutch grabbin' VERY close to the grip? I had the engine cover that houses the clutch unit come loose and the clutch all but went out. With the clutch lever all the way to the bar it still wanted to pull a little. Hard to shift, too. Here's a pic of the bolts that were loose. I tightened them up and no more problems whatsoever. Worth lookin' at I guess...

speedsensorrepairhighlt.jpg

nawh the clutch begins to grab about 1/2 way. I looked and adjusted the handle and checked the shift lever itself nothing seems to be wrong. I will check those bolts you mentioned tomorrow morning. The bike speed shifts in all other gears without the clutch except 2nd. Generally speaking I almost alway use the clutch but was testing the clutchless shift to see if it made a difference. Here is the exact senerio. I accelerate first gear to 4-6k let off gas pull in clutch shift (of try to) let clutch out still in 1st gear, pull in the clutch and try to shift into second and it shifts but the rpm's have dropped off a bit because of the delay. In other words if crusing around it shifts ok under a load no dice.

you think it might be the clutch slave? I ordered a slave support from Schnitz's but it is not here yet. Also I read my last two posts and what I meant to say is when I am going fast in first I cannot shift into second gear when I am going slow it shifts fine. It could be rider error but I don't think that is it. I will try again tomorrow rain or shine. I will let ya know what I find out tomorrow.

you think it might be the clutch slave? I ordered a slave support from Schnitz's but it is not here yet. Also I read my last two posts and what I meant to say is when I am going fast in first I cannot shift into second gear when I am going slow it shifts fine. It could be rider error but I don't think that is it. I will try again tomorrow rain or shine. I will let ya know what I find out tomorrow.
The clutch slave is attached to and leverages off of the cover I posted the pic of. When it was loose the slave had nothin' to leverage off of so it was pretty much ineffective. That's why I had problems with clutch/shiftin'. If your clutch is operatin' normally in all other gears and isn't grabbin' close to the lever then that's prolly not yer problem. Sounds more like the gears may just need to break in a little. As Rev said, the early part of a busa transmission's life can be quite notchy and glitchy. See if it improves with some mileage. My guess it that it prolly will...

Even better idea... Call Johnnycheese at his shop and ask him what he thinks...
wink.gif
I had his number but can't find it. PM him and get the number.

Back