Shifting Gears

PocketRocket

Donating Member
Registered
Ok I am totally new to bikes..Yes My busa is my first bike...And my friend just bought one ( a busa ) and it is his first bike..We have discussed how to shift ..I say after its in first just let off the throttle and shift ..He says to use the clutch B/T gears .... Who is correct? If I need the clutch B/T gears then how does my air shifter work?. Sorry for the Duh HUH questions , but I dont know what is the proper way to do anything on a bike..I drive mine with no problems , its not that scarry or heart pounding experiance for a beginner.. BUT I do have a LOT or respect for the machine!! I will respect any and all comments and it will be greatly appreciated.
crazy.gif

Biggest advise to you is to take the MSF course and buy protective gear(helmet, jacket, pants, boots, and gloves).

Many people use clutchless UPshifting. Its a little harder on the tranny than using the clutch, but nothing it can't handle.

You should use the clutch when DOWNshifting.

Personally, I always use the clutch. I don't drag race but I do go to trackdays. I like the "feel" when using the clutch in a corner. Doesn't matter in a straightaway though.

Congrats on your new bike, and welcome to the .org.  Got pics?

Shifting with or without the clutch is a user preference.  I've personally made it back home when the clutch lever fell off my ride when getting on the freeway.  ...and home was over an hour away with the last several miles off the freeway.

In my opinion clutchless shifting is actually a little smoother when done right.  I can go up or down in the gears just as smoothly. Over the years, I've developed a modified clutch shifting method, in that while I do use it, I barely touch it when shifting.  Just a little quick nudge.

Anyway, welcome, and you two be careful out there.

beerchug.gif

I do intend to get all the gear!!!!! You bet!!!! But where do I take a course on riding? The dealer...? My bike has a lot of mods.Cams , Yoshi(?) exhaust, air box , Power comander thingy, air shifter , NOS, regeared rear sprocket.. some 1 piece racing clutch, etc

You'll generate a ton of dissonance on here by asking about cluchless shifting, you're going to get about as many opinions as if you'd asked "what's the best kind of oil," or "what's a TRE do?"

Personally, I use a mix of both. Probably 8 times out of 10 I'll just blip the clutch lever for a fraction of a second when I shift, sort of like thebbbusa is talking about above. If you're going to shift without clutching you need to unload the transmission first or you're going to round the dogs off, especially in the lower gears like one and two. Just click the throttle closed for a microsecond at the same instant you apply upward pressure on the shift lever and then get back into the throttle.

Downshifting clutchlessly is probably a tad harder on parts than upshifting and in my mind there isn't a lot of reason to do it because I like to clutch and blip the throttle as I downshift to bring the rpms up slightly and keep the bike in the powerband. Be careful if using this technique with your solid clutch as the chances of locking up the rear wheel increases greatly when you lose your B.T.L. clutch. *chirp* *chirp*

Your airshifter works the same way as the clutchless upshifting I described above except when you press the button it uses an electronic device to cut the ignition (or kill fuel delivery in the case of the Muzzy) for a fraction of a second at the same instant as the solenoid delivers air pressure to the ram to move the shift lever. It's the same thing, it just happens a lot faster than you could do it manually, and you can wring the throttle open and just click the button instead of rolling on and off the gas for every gear.

Back