Shifter mod

EdC

Registered
The only negative I've found with Buell footpegs on a Hayabusa is that they move your feet outward just enough that you have to operate the shifter in a slightly "pigeon-toed" manner (for some reason, the brake lever doesn't seem to be affected as much by the peg mod). I didn't bother with photos because the mod I did is easy enough to understand from a written description.

I removed the shifter and took it to a machine shop that does aluminum welding. They cut the rubber off and removed the "knob" on the end of the part of the shifter that the rubber was on - let's call it a "stem", for lack of a better word. Then a hole the same size as that stem was drilled lengthwise through a piece of 3/4" aluminum rod which was then turned down to 1/2". I see no reason why you couldn't start with 1/2" rod, but they didn't have any leftover stubs that size laying around. Next, a 2" piece of that rod was cut off, slid over the stem and welded in place. My bill was $22.00.

You will want to cover the bare aluminum with something or it will discolor your shoe or boot very quickly. I was shooting for a finished diameter of 5/8", as I felt that would be comfortable against my foot without being too bulky to manuver my foot around, so I went to Home Depot, as I recalled seeing fairly thin-walled clear plastic tubing there. They have 1/2" ID tubing in two ODs, one of which is 5/8", so that would give me my desired 5/8" total OD. They don't sell it by the foot but I found a 10-foot roll of it for $2.98, so that's what I bought.

I put a large dab of clear adhesive inside one end of a 2" piece of that tubing, slid it over the stem adhesive-end-first, twisting it as I went, and wiped the excess adhesive from the outer end. Then I reinstalled the modified shifter and allowed the adhesive to dry overnight. The tubing stays put and the finished shifter is even more comfortable to operate than the stock shifter was before the peg mod.

As a bonus, I'm left with enough clear plastic tubing for 59 more shifter mods...

Ed

great idea... mines at the machine shop now. one more thing you can do...grind the rest stops on the k stand so the stand goes up higher and tighter.

Back