Buell peg mod

ajlacro

Registered
Hi guys, ( this is my firts post ). I did the buell peg mod & when I get the shifter adjusted low enough, the inside of my foot almost doesn't have enough room between the kick stand and the shifter. It almost seems that if the shift lever had a longer toe portion or if I bent it away from the bike a little, it would be ok. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Andy
rock.gif

Not sure i follow what your saying. I installed Buell pegs on my bike, readjusted the shift lever and all was good after. No issues with my feet not fitting.

I think the Buell's actually move your foot outboard compared to the stock location. I have a small vinyl plug I had lying around on my shifter, which essentially extends the shifter tip. There was a post on here a long time ago about actually adding an extended tip to the stock shifter.

Extending the tip woul be the best option. You may be able to bend the shifter some, but you could potentially snap it off as it is a casting.

I have a pair of Nikes I can not longer wear when I ride because of this.. riding boots are unaffected so far.

Yes, I have the problem mostly when I am wearing tennis shoes. It is pretty good when I wear my riding boots.
Extending the toe of the shifter seems to be the best option.
Andy

I had the same problem complicated by some mild birth defects in my ankle so after I did the Buel peg mod I had a local welder add a 1/2 of aluminum rod to both shifter and the rear brake. He charged me $50 If I recall correctly and it has made all the difference

After my last wreck, I am thoroughly convinced that wearing steal toed boots is for fools. The boot tip got stuck between the bumper and the rest of the car (as I went flying over). When my leg finally reached maximum stretch (assuring me of everlasting pain in my ankle and knee) the boot tip finally gave way. As the tip tore open it exposed the metal cap, and when it slammed back against my foot it torn open my foot. After years of serious hind-sight it dawned on me that no matter what I wear, in a wreck, I am just subject to whatever the heck happens. I do wear a helmet now (broke my nugget that time too), and a jacket with impact pads. I dont believe that the jacket with pads would do anything for high speed wrecks, but they may help in a slow-mo wreck. Besides, I am 46 now and my body is doing things that my mind never contemplated before... like going to bed before 12am... and aching when its cold out.

Hey I found a $19 shifter on ebay and it fixes this issue nicely.. just make sure when you adjust it on the bike that you do not hit the kickstand is all.... Proud Dad did the same shifter and had the same result.. (the shifter is a chrome unit with a fold up pin like a dirt bike)

<a href="http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Suzuki-GSX-R1300-GSXR1300-Hayabusa-Shifter-NEW-99-07_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ35588QQihZ
009QQitemZ190214998301QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW" onclick="window.open(this.href,'_blank');return false;">shifter</a>Went up in price but still a good shifter

I had this same problem when I did the Buell peg mod a few weeks ago. I like to have my shift lever really low, so I don't have to rotate my foot as far. Anyhow, I fixed it by using a deep well 9/16" socket, found that slipped over the stock rubber just tight enough not to come off. Now when the time is right I will buy a small length of pipe or tubing or something and drill out a 9/16" hole and use that instead. Now if I can just remember that I used my socket for this when I need it sometime down the road and start looking for it! haha

The only thing you want to be careful about is how far you extend it out is key. Too far, and it will be the first thing potentially to hit (bad) during an extreme lean angle. It is for this reason I feel it'd actually be better to have something than hung down beside the kickstand that I could feel with my foot instead of sticking out. But for now, the simple solution is to use the socket like I did and go with the flow.

beerchug.gif

Ok here's the latest. I was worried about the socket dragging so I went to Home Depot and bought this for $1.10.

IMG_4887.jpg

Cut it off to 2.5" long.

IMG_4890.jpg

File one end to provide a slight taper to allow for bunching of the rubber on the peg.

IMG_4891.jpg

Spray a little silicon or WD on the inside end that was filed...just a little, then jam it on the peg.

IMG_4892.jpg

All done!

IMG_4893.jpg

Sure it's kinda plain. But consider this, it's plastic and in a lean will hopefully grind down before you go down. Although I have to admit, I don't think I'll ever lean that far...being stretched and lowered.

This is a great cheap mod to compliment the Buell Peg mod if you like the lower shifter like I do.

The key is finding some plastic tubing, look in the electrical conduit section. The ID of this tubing was .600" +/- Any smaller and it won't fit over the rubber, any bigger and it won't stay on.

beerchug.gif

Back