self learning a/f boxes

wingman1800

Registered
I read where some pc111 type boxes are self learning , I guess they do not need a map? They say units contiously adjust "map" for current conditions. Do these really work.......why wouldnt everyone get this type....what types do this? is one considered best for this purpose? adding to 2008 with yosh r-77 full system.....
thanks
tom

there are closed loop systems on the aftermarket but they're not cheap. Your OE ECU does booth closed and open loop. Most of the "boxes" that I think you're referring to are not closed loop. I would need more information about the specific box you're talking about to give a better answer.

The ones I know of are add-ons. If you go with a Bazzaz Z-Fi you can add on the air fuel management box for another $350 on top of the $400 for the Bazzaz unit itself. You can also add the AutoTune to the PC V for $260 on top of the $360 for the PC V. (Above prices are from manufacturers, I am sure you could find them cheaper elsewhere)

Both units require you to install a different O2 sensor than what comes stock. From what I have read, depending on the aftermarket pipes you buy, you may need to drill a new hole in the pipe and weld a bung since the sensor you need to install is larger than the stock one. (some pipes come with this bung already installed)

I am still doing the research between this route and going with an ECU edit. Haven't been able to find many specifics on the ECU edit yet.

But I won't be buying anytime soon....Uncle Sam decided I didn't pay enough taxes last year and wants about 80% of my exhaust fund .:banghead:

neither of those are cloosed loop systems. With the bazzaz you put in your target a/f ratio. As you run the bike it captures the actual a/f for whatever rpm and tp. When your done it calculates what the fuel map needs to be changed to in order to get you to the target a/f ratio. You then have to "move" the changes to the regular box. It's not learning anything and it's not making any live adjustments to anything.

I know not but thought PC advertised theirs does learn and constantly adjust ?
Either way seems new way is ECU flashing or just get a custom map made on dyno with PC or Bazaaz.
Dyno map will cost you around same as these devices you price.

I've got AutoTune on my PCV and its not closed loop, you start off the closest map to your system and then ride it for some time, the Auto tune will calculate how much fuel/air needed to meet the previously set ratio, then it will create a new trim to be added to the base map which you can accept or ignore. from my experiance,,, get the bike properly tuned on a dyno, its way better...

sounds like the pcv is very similar to the bazzaz except it's even more basic by only providing you with trim numbers vs. rpm/tp cell values. Either approach requires you to "click" to accept/ignore the recommendation.

Thanks for clarification guys. I guess I misunderstood the info I read.

For the ECU editing, would that be done at the same time as the Dyno tuning? What does it usually run to do that?

BoostbySmith is a sponsor here ?

Username is Smithabusa
Proud Daddy of
Matthew 'FutureBooster' Smith (sorry took a little liberty on that)

He sells a harness that allows you to hook up your oem ecu to a Dyno and tune it while its on it.
The software to do this is free.

I'm sure he'll read this and I hope I got that right Greg.....:bowdown:

Way more than I can say here on his site.
Here is link for GenII harness.

ECU Flashing

Seems to be the way now..

Last edited:
Back