See thru clutch cover

From Ebay-->" We have engineered a great new idea using the stock cover(<span style='color:blue'>HINT-Have the cover cut out with a mill so as to leave shoulder for O-RING, leaves nice, shiny, machined surface</span>).........It has a high tech look with 12 stainless allen screws (<span style='color:blue'>HINT, fastener store</span>)as the securing method.  The window is tough and oil resistant (<span style='color:blue'>HINT-LEXXAN, watercut at machine shop</span>)with a laminate coating(<span style='color:blue'>HINT-Cut-in Clear</span>) to prevent discoloration and aging.  Now as you may guess, the window can be called unbreakable (<span style='color:blue'>Another hint for Lexxan</span>)but probably won't hold up too well if the neighbor backs his pickup into your bike the wrong way(<span style='color:blue'>Just ask those NASCAR dudes</span>).  This is a reliable well put together part for the bike that has everything else, except this of course.. CURB FEELERS, and a COON TAIL

Having cover machined- $25.00
Having Lexxan cut- $22.00 (<span style='font-size:8pt;line-height:100%'>includes paying for Lexxan drop</span>)
1 can of Cut-in Clear- $15.00
Allen Head machine screws- $8.65
Rubber O-ring to seal Lexann to cover-FREE (<span style='font-size:8pt;line-height:100%'>friend works at hydraulic shop</span>.)
Labor to have done- Just my time to be with out the bike and whatever it cost to replace fluid.

Total- $70.65
(notice that my price matches the startin bid???)now what does that tell ya? ...I guess the extra $5.40 difference is too help with shipping??)

here's the link to look again:
<a href="http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Suzuki-GSX1300R-Hayabusa-chrome-clutch-cover-newcustom_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ35595QQ
ihZ015QQitemZ250005138540QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW" target="_blank">Crock of ####</a>

ANY TAKERS?
rock.gif
LOL (I promise not to mark it up 450%, well maybe just 300%)
If you're from east Texas, then you're pretty close to me. I'd be willing to give you a shot with that mod and at a fair price for your time and effort. You may have stepped in some shiite on this site. Don't make an offer that you can't make good on. These guys are fierce...
laugh.gif

I am really interested in it, does anyone have one yet? once I hear a review or two, I will be happy to purchase one!

Evan

If you're from east Texas, then you're pretty close to me.  I'd be willing to give you a shot with that mod and at a fair price for your time and effort.  You may have stepped in some shiite on this site.  Don't make an offer that you can't make good on.  These guys are fierce...
laugh.gif
I would be willing to give it a shot...I would like to find an extra cover to practice on, but am sure (given the cnc capabilities that I have access to) that it would go fine the first time around.

I own a little hole in the wall here in Longview- CSR WeldFab- I work in the Oilfield for companies such as Schlumberger, Halliburton, Weatherford, Romco etc....My specialty is custom fabrications and I guess that is why I pick up on stuff like these covers pretty easily...

And as far as Brendanp's take on 'payin for the idea' well, we call it 'free interprise' It's hard to patent what can be changed or isn't unique (ie- A completely different cover set up that wasn't modified from the original).

Here in the East Texas Oilfield I have seen a lot of 'patent wars'.....All I needed was a comfy cool seat, a coke and pop corn.

I too have been in the metal fab buisness for 21 yrs now.
I have ran all kinds of cnc's and now just programm them for a living,I def. know how easy his is to do.
There are many times I see a new invention,and see how easy it was to make it,and then say..."How come I didn't think of that???"

I have ran all kinds of cnc's and now just programm them for a living,I def. know how easy his is to do.
There are many times I see a new invention,and see how easy it was to make it,and then say..."How come I didn't think of that???"
my question to anyone is:

so I send my cover

you mill it, drill it and tap it.

2 months from now once its been heat cycled a couple times and flexed.......what happens when it starts to leak?

What happens when it starts to crack?

My suggestion:

make a 3 piece cover.

mill a flat base
Use circular pipe with decent wall thickness

and then add the lexan.

will it be more expensive?

SURE!!!

But it will be better quality than milling a porous material based stock cover.

anyone remember the number of failures they had with the rewelded oil pans? That seemed like a good idea in its time also.

Just goes to show....we can't think of every thing..LOL
Besides...I just wanted to jump start some people that have the capability to make these themselves and maybe save a little money, Thats all

so I send my cover

2 months from now once its been heat cycled a couple times and flexed.......what happens when it starts to leak?

I believe that goes for anyone who makes this cover...Thats why I would prolly do mine first, or find a spare cover to modify and use it for awhile to see how it acts....
Most custom mods are always a gamble until proven

Personally,I dont have any desire at all to do this mod.
You want to do something that is going to sell.IMO,there
just isn't a big market for this,and for me I want all metal
holding my oil in.

so I send my cover

I believe that goes for anyone who makes this cover...Thats why I would prolly do mine first, or find a spare cover to modify and use it for awhile to see how it acts....
Most custom mods are always a gamble until proven
Here's an edited response I gave on another board:

See through busa covers have been available since 01-02.

As for patenting an idea.....well good luck. One extra cut, a variance in machine specs etc....and your patent is void.

BTW.....I have made 4 of these covers in billet form about 2+ years ago. As far as I know, the original owners still have them. And unless I make them from scratch, I have no intent of remachining a stock cast cover. Not saying its impossible to do it. BUT, a porous cast cover with thin walls, machined down and then drilled and tapped. Well....I'll pay for someone else to do the work so I can b**** about them cracking or leaking like they could so easily do.

Personally,I dont have any desire at all to do this mod.
You want to do something that is going to sell.IMO,there
just isn't a big market for this,and for me I want all metal
holding my oil in.
nah this is on the list of mods for the kawabusa....as well as a see through stator cover.

For streetfighters....this is pretty trick.

My suggestion:

make a 3 piece cover.

mill a flat base

and then add the lexan.

SURE!!!

anyone remember the number of failures they had with the rewelded oil pans? That seemed like a good idea in its time also.
Billet, in some cases, is always better...

I work with aluminum on a daily basis, and (knock on wood) have never had any serious problems with cast aluminum... I will say that the thinner it is, the harder it is to stablize- One must remember that I dont know how thick that cover is, but It would be safe to assume that when one removes the center section of that cover-One is putting alot of faith in 12 small screws and a piece of lexxan to reinforce what a solid peice of cast did....I realize that this cover is bolted down around its perimeter, but (there's always a but) with what suzuki4life said, what if after a few heating and cooling cycles it tried to warp or crack??? Chances, chances, chances.

My suggestion:

make a 3 piece cover.

mill a flat base

and then add the lexan.

SURE!!!

Billet, in some cases, is always better...

I work with aluminum on a daily basis, and (knock on wood) have never had any serious problems with cast aluminum... I will say that the thinner it is, the harder it is to stablize- One must remember that I dont know how thick that cover is, but It would be safe to assume that when one removes the center section of that cover-One is putting alot of faith in 12 small screws and a piece of lexxan to reinforce what a solid peice of cast did....I realize that this cover is bolted down around its perimeter, but (there's always a but) with what suzuki4life said, what if after a few heating and cooling cycles it tried to warp or crack??? Chances, chances, chances.
well...good cast metal is one thing.....

the junk pot metal cast alloy crap suzuki uses on most of its covers...well try to tig weld it once.

it can be done, but not by everyone.

my $.02

if someone is gonna guarantee their work not to fail...sure sign me up...I'll need 3 to start.

Back