second gear sucks

99busa

Registered
Hey guys , I have a 99 busa that jumps out of second gear and into nuetral , second gear is virtually useless. anyway i know it is expensive to fix $1800.00 plus or minus. My question is if i continue to ride my bike and just shift twice up to third gear will this damage my bike even more or will it be ok, just no second gear. thanks in advance for any help advice etc...

i wouldnt think that upshifting thru 2gears into third will damage anything. but i would maybe try to focus super hard on "shifting into 2nd like you hate it" and at the same time making sure you pull in the clutch lever all the way before kicking that first shift upwards. i was having similar probs, then i tried this new approach and went 200 trouble free miles. change to full synthetic, and shift that first shift like you mean it. my problem happened about once or twice a week. now it doesnt happen as long as i dont make soft shifts. hope that helps.

more and more busa owners should consider switching to gp style shifting. hard to screw up 1-2 shift if your stepping down on the shifter. i switched mine the first day and have never missed a shift and second gear works great.

anyway i know it is expensive to fix $1800.00 plus or minus.
Maybe not. Mine did the same thing and I decided to order an undercut (race) tranny. I had it installed but later found out it was only the shift fork that was bad.

Get the fork checked out first!

The gear poping out with cause the shift for to bend too! Having it backcut will reduce the event of another missed shift. As for the question about skipping over 2nd gear when riding, I did it for two years before I snatched mine out and had 2nd backcut.

more and more busa owners should consider switching to gp style shifting. hard to screw up 1-2 shift if your stepping down on the shifter. i switched mine the first day and have never missed a shift and second gear works great.
Ok i will bite... never rode a GP bike.. is this a linkage setup?

Moto GP runs the gears in reverse order as far as 1 down 5 up its 1 up 5 down in GP. I have a cousin that did his CBR900 that way. I think he said he installed the shift forks backwards or something.

I guess that's a busa thing. Mine's an 03 and I bought it used from a guy who apparently ragged on it. I got it with 10,000K and when I got on it hard in second and get up to between 3000-4000 it sounded like I red lined it and it was powerless, so I was skipping it completely after that. A few months later of doing that, I would be cruising down the road and all of a sudden my rpms dropped, the bike would start slowing down (didn't shut off) and then catch back up. The first time it did that I was on the freeway, didn't let off the throttle and when the rpms jumped back up it nearly bucked me off. Well, turns out 2,4,5,6 gears were chewed up and I had to get all of that replaced. $1700. My brother-in-law almost bought a busa last week and my husband and I told him to get on it in second gear- sure enough it did it and he didn't buy it. Short story for the day!!

Back