Screw in Tire

LiBusa

Registered
I wanted to thank this board for helping me to decide on getting my new Pilot Power Tires. They are all that. But, I now have a problem. I took a ride today resulting in a #10 screw planting itself in the tread of my new rear tire. My concern is I'm told if I repair this tire I will void my "Z" rating on that tire. Is this true? Is there a approved way of repairing this tire?

Yes it will.

A plug, I think its a mushroom plug, put in from the inside out would be my recommendation. You'll be able to finish off the tire, but I wouldn't go above 130ish. I used that type plug and it worked great. I just kept my top speed down.

I've been riding on a patched rear for almost 2000 miles now. If you take it to a reputable tire shop they should be able to patch it from the inside. When mine was done, my friend used a mesh type grinding tool to essentially sand down the ribs on the inside of the tire. Maybe 2 inches in diameter. Then some glue and a patch and all done. I actually forgot about it until reading this post. Shouldn't be a problem though.

Also, I've been well over 150 on the patched tire. If the hole is not that big in diameter, I would go for the patch that doesn't have the little nipple. Should look just like this but with or without a nipple in the center on the other side.

71745.jpg

Personnally I wouldn't risk it.  It would be new tire time for me.
wink.gif
+1...from a financial standpoint what would cost more; your bike insurance deductible plus health insurance deductible and bills, or the cost of a new pilot power? it's not worth taking the chance; I feel your pain, I had to replace mine with only 320 miles.
sad.gif

OK if you're not a high speed junkie. The stress put on a tire at 150+ is huge. Make sure your life insurance is up to date.

Back