Scratches? Wtf? No idea how this happened

DaveM

Registered
So I went to put in my new K&N filter, and saw this!! I know this wasn’t there a couple weeks ago when I wiped the entire bike down and I ran a micro fibre cloth over it to see if I maybe just missed it, no way I would have missed it, there isn’t a single scratch anywhere else on the bike. It’s in a spot that is just so weird!?!? Not a mark on the lower fairing, literally 1mm away. Any ideas?

8EEDE537-CFAB-4A8D-8EE6-D569786FFED9.jpeg

C52D82CA-570C-4EE6-BB0D-4ACB877F4881.jpeg

E2F5231D-AED5-474F-9C38-5106A96E6C4E.jpeg

When I bought it, it was transported in a closed van. I do use a cover when it’s parked in the underground and I sometimes pull it off rather quickly, but nothing that could cause this. It’s been out for one ride in the last 2 weeks, and since I washed it.

I would turn your cover inside out and take a look. Maybe some debri collected inside the bottom edge as it sat covered up and when you removed it, voila! I’d take it to a paint shop and have someone expertly fill in the scratches.

Not sure what is going on there but a cover wont do that IMO Those scratches are rather deep try some heavy duty scratch remover there are several on the market if that does not work take it to a paint shop good luck with it :thumbsup:

Don't know what caused them but they are deep, no way your cover did this.

It looks like it has fallen over but the levers, mirror and bar end would have evidence of this as well...

Maybe it was damaged before you got it and they used some sort of color match scratch wax on it and when you wiped it, you took the wax off...was there any red on your wiping towel by chance?

Don't know what caused them but they are deep, no way your cover did this.

It looks like it has fallen over but the levers, mirror and bar end would have evidence of this as well...

Maybe it was damaged before you got it and they used some sort of color match scratch wax on it and when you wiped it, you took the wax off...was there any red on your wiping towel by chance?
Nothing red on the cloth at all. when I rub a cloth over it now I can really feel it. Maybe somehow I missed it, but hones I cant see it.

Not sure what is going on there but a cover wont do that IMO Those scratches are rather deep try some heavy duty scratch remover there are several on the market if that does not work take it to a paint shop good luck with it :thumbsup:
It’s hard to see from a few feet away, I think I’ll probably take it to a paint shop over the winter as you said.

Nothing red on the cloth at all. when I rub a cloth over it now I can really feel it. Maybe somehow I missed it, but hones I cant see it.

It sure looks like it was on it's side. A few of those marks look like they were made when the fairing hit small little stones like you'd get on the pavement in the spring. Seen the exact same markings on a bike which was over on it's side.

I'd check all the other parts like the stator cover for scratches too...a little detective work will be advised. They will probably have to repaint the entire nose cone.

It sure looks like it was on it's side. A few of those marks look like they were made when the fairing hit small little stones like you'd get on the pavement in the spring. Seen the exact same markings on a bike which was over on it's side.

I'd check all the other parts like the stator cover for scratches too...a little detective work will be advised. They will probably have to repaint the entire nose cone.
100% it’s never been down, there’s not a scratch anywhere else and I’ve looked everywhere

100% it’s never been down, there’s not a scratch anywhere else and I’ve looked everywhere

Sure is a mystery why a fairing would have all the marks of being fallen over? It's even on the kick stand side and if the mod hasn't been done to the kickstand, these bikes are known for falling over on this side.

Either way that sure sucks to find that, but at least it can be fixed and the winter is the best time to do it.

The cover alone wouldn’t have done that but gravel inside the tightly gathered edges of the cover when pulling it off (and dumping the gravel onto the ground) might have. Good luck.

That’s what originally thought, but I’m 99.9% sure it wasn’t there 2 weeks ago. :banghead: I wish I could figure this out.

It sure seems odd that you hadn’t noticed it when cleaning and wiping it down. Un padded ratchet straps could’ve caused them when transporting but again, you hadn’t noticed. Suppose it could’ve been knocked over and picked up when you weren’t around? Still, the heaviest scratches appear along the top edge of the plastic, not down the side. When transporting I use a Canyon Dancer and place folded towels under the straps prior to strapping. Whatever the cause, I’d resign myself to take it to a painting pro. Shouldn’t cost all that much either, mostly their labor and expertise, but it’ll be worth it.

It sure seems odd that you hadn’t noticed it when cleaning and wiping it down. Un padded ratchet straps could’ve caused them when transporting but again, you hadn’t noticed. Suppose it could’ve been knocked over and picked up when you weren’t around? Still, the heaviest scratches appear along the top edge of the plastic, not down the side. When transporting I use a Canyon Dancer and place folded towels under the straps prior to strapping. Whatever the cause, I’d resign myself to take it to a painting pro. Shouldn’t cost all that much either, mostly their labor and expertise, but it’ll be worth it.
I’ll get it fixed for sure, will see if I have the patience and wait till winter or not. If there was a single scratch anywhere else I would think it was laid down, but nothing. Might be something I’ll never figure out. New slip-ons, new spools, new K&N and some new scratches haha

I’ll get it fixed for sure, will see if I have the patience and wait till winter or not. If there was a single scratch anywhere else I would think it was laid down, but nothing. Might be something I’ll never figure out. New slip-ons, new spools, new K&N and some new scratches haha

Remove the stickers on the black areas I call arm rests for my forearms. Don’t want the painter to think it’s your first bike.:laugh:

Back