Any idea how this happened?

TallTom

Registered
I did search and see some threads about the same part but not how it happened. I can post up pics and will do after I complete de-cowling but essentially here is what happened. 2003 stock drive train. I went for a ride today. Bike started normally, ran normally. It was a leisurely ride. Short shifting all day nothing other than a Sunday cruise to the beach. The bike showed no abnormalities at any time.

I pulled in for a cold drink. Stayed maybe 30 minutes. Got on bike. Started up on the first tap of button. Just like normal. As I backed up I heard what sounded like a stick in spoke or caught between the fender and tire. I rolled it forward, saw nothing. Rolled backwards and heard it again. I turned the bike off and got off.

On the left side of the engine the sprocket cover had shattered right around the front sprocket area. Almost like a circle the size of the sprocket was chunked out of the cover. The cover piece was hanging there by the speed sensor wire. I took out my tool case and removed the speed sensor and removed the chunk of cover and inspected. Upon inspection, I saw the speed sensor star piece was hanging on barely. The bolt that holds that in place on the sprocket had backed out almost completely. I looked it all over and saw no other damage. The star piece was undamaged. I screwed the bolt back in and tightened it up. Placed the speed sensor behind the clutch line out of the way. Checked chain tension. Checked sprocket. Checked everything I could on the side of the parking lot. Nothing else seemed amiss. So i drove it home with zerio problems. I at the least need a sprocket cover. That is a given. But I'm curious if this is something that is known issue. I want to make some assumptions here unless I hear some responses that yes it happens and this is why.

I can assume I ran over something and it managed to bounce itself up into the front of the chain and into the housing somehow. Though I don't remember running over anything. And that wouldn't explain the speed sensor bolt backing out almost entirely. That to me is the root problem. I will put some Loc-Tite on it, but it is still pretty odd to me that this has happened.

I will dis-assemble and inspect everything when I get some time here. I know I need a sprocket cover replaced at the very least.

I am open to any suggestions or points of knowledge that have been and here and know what caused it.

I've seen it a few times. Use some loctite and torque it. And unfortunately replace the sprocket cover.

the cover likely has marks where the bolt backed out and hit cover causing a binding.

Back