changing front sprocket

dewie

Registered
I just started to change the front sprocket late last night, I've never changed the front sprocket on a street bike before. Is there any trick to removing the black sprocket cover? I took out the 4 - 8mm bolts out of it and wiggled it a bit. It didn't move and I figured I should go to bed before I break something.

I think it's the speed sensor and clutch attched to the cover also, do they come off?
Thanks

You must undo the speed sensor (2 bolts I think) Thanks Red05 for catching this.. be careful when you get everything apart! Don't want to damage the rod in front of the sprocket... Might be a good time to clean everything up as well. Be sure and break the sprocket lose with the bike on the ground. Have a buddy apply the brake and use a breaker bar (after you undo the speed sensor bolt and ring). 32mm - front sprocket nut (IIRC, 1 1/4" will also work)...

Almost forgot... Be VERY careful re-installing those case bolts! DO NOT over torque them!
Red loctite is your friend, I can't remember the spec's hopefully someone will post them up soon. I think the sprocket is 105 ft lbs (don't quote me on that...)

Thanks KS, so with those 4 bolt off the whole things should come off with the sensor attached??
yeah, 105ftlbs for the sprocket and if the speed sensor does come out it's 13ftlbs. and I have red loctight in the box ready to go.

The service manual says to remove the speed sensor before removing the cover.

The service manual says to remove the speed sensor before removing the cover.
Good catch... Thats what I'd do then!
Being at work makes this a little tough on the bug.. No bike, No manual

pic1.JPG

Got a dead blow hammer
rock.gif
...it's for finesse in getting things moving on the cover....remove the 6mm allen head on the speed sensor right in the middle, and swing out of the way. Remove the forward piece connected to the shift-shaft of the shifter linkage. Can't get the cover off, even with the 8mm bolts out of the way, without the shifter connector off. Leave the clutch slave cylinder bolts alone, and it'll swing off "with" the cover. As it starts to loosen, bear in mind that the front of the cover is connected to the clutch shaft. It'll slip loose, just be gentle and take your time......... Clean everything thoroughly, the torque on the sprocket "is" 105 ft/lbs, and the 8mm bolts are 10nm...that should get you there........
super.gif

The manual also recommends removing the side-stand switch, a pair of 12mm wrenches will do the trick or a 12mm socket with ratchet. Bear in mind, the nut on the back is a locknut, so remove it first, then back the 12mm bolt out and it will un-thread itself. The switch will hang down, so swing it out of the way as well, and be careful not to pinch it behind he cover when you install it..... It gives you room to remove the 10mm bolt that secures the shift coupler to the shift shaft......

I did the change as well, but didn't remove the speed sensor off the cover, just removed the cover.

is it really necessary? also when all done, for a while now, my bike makes a whinney noise when it applies torque, seems to change its pitch with different throttle applied, more throttle higher pitch whine. any ideas? seems to be coming from that area.

I remember reading somewhere that the stock sprocket has some sort of rubber washer on it and the replacement ones don't, which sometimes causes a little more noise.

I've read in a few places that a strange noise developes after a front sprocket swap. the after market ones are missing a rubber insert or spacer..

can someone show a comparison for this rubber washer we are talking about? without it does it cause wear somewhere? its kinda crazy the sound it makes.

Back