changing front sprocket

The after market piece generally doesn't have one...

after.JPG

got ya, ok ya mine is a vortex sprocket and no rubber on it. so any harm in missing this? any premature wear? can i expect it to last?

Should be no problem..... Of course that depends on all the normal wear factors.
You said you had a whining noise coming from your front sprocket. Could this in fact be your chain? IF its to tight it will definitely make noise and could at some point break. This in turn could cause major damage up front to the cases... be sure and set the chain sag with a rider on the bike! Also, double check the chain alignment/wheel alignment.

I got her on last night. it was cake, I was just worried cause every project I take on usually turns into a nightmare. And after hearing all these horry stories about getting the 32mm nut off it came off nice and easy. I had a buddy sit on the bike not in gear and hold the the front brake.. I did forget to make a note of where the gear shift was lined up on the shaft, so it was out of wack when I put it back on. can't wait to try it out tonight.

I got her on last night. it was cake, I was just worried cause every project I take on usually turns into a nightmare. And after hearing all these horry stories about getting the 32mm nut off it came off nice and easy. I had a buddy sit on the bike not in gear and hold the the front brake.. I did forget to make a note of where the gear shift was lined up on the shaft, so it was out of wack when I put it back on. can't wait to try it out tonight.
Congrats... now that wasn't so bad was it?

i never did set the tension with the rider on the bike. i will readjust and post my findings tonight.

thanks.

Congrats... now that wasn't so bad was it?
nahh, it wasen't that hard. I just like to hear tips from members who have done it before. Changing the rear would be easier, but costs more..

another big thanks to waterbug and the org.

Just glad we could help.... Always looking for tips myself!
Why work hard when you can work smart.

Changing the rear would be easier, but costs more...

And it would bring the rear tire closer to the center of gravity, not the preferred farther away. Think little itty bitty extended swing arm.

Time for me to do my front this week. 17 to 16. Looking to go to Maxton, NC next week and run upper 180s, instead of lower 180s, if all goes well.

Hopefully, there are no hiccups for me with the swap. I'm grateful for this thread. It should help.

And I'm wondering if the difference is noticeable.

New and improved ways to make this harder

I was changing sprockets last night.

Wanted to take the bike off the rear wheel stand to get the tire on the ground so the sprocket nut wouldn't move.

Rocked it off the rear wheel stand.

Went to put the side stand down....

only to remember I had already removed it!

Nothing like trying to climb off the bike and reach behind it to get the center stand while balancing the bike the whole time. :rollext:

Do you have to use thread locker on the bolts or the sprocket nut? Just got a new chain and sprockets and was planning on throwing them on tomorrow. None of them seemed to have thread locker on them when i pulled it all apart.

Back