Russell Day-Long Sport Seat Photos

ldryder

Registered
Since I've had Russell Day Long saddles on all of my bikes for the past 25 years, I decided to add a lot more comfort to the Hayabusa and have one built for this bike.

I did learn that Russell cannot build a normal Day-Long seat for the Hayabusa because making the seat thick enough to insert their leaf spring would sit the rider too high in proximity to the handlebars and cause a lot of wrist discomfort. Instead, they build their Sport Seat for the Hayabusa and other bikes.

Before anyone comments on how ugly the seat looks, I know that it's strange looking on this bike but, so are the Givi saddlebags and trunk. Besides, I plan to use this seat for longer rides and use my Corbin or my OEM seat when I'm riding around town.

I had it made in black vinyl, with the rectangular pattern since that's what I've always had on my other bikes but, there are a lot of other choices available.

I still have my OEM front seat because I found a very cheap one on eBay that I sent to Russell since they only needed the seat pan anyway.

IMG_20141001_113627491_HDR_zps656a7015.jpg

IMG_20141001_113705193_HDR_zpsbcafd50e.jpg

IMG_20141001_113535429_HDR_zps2199c257.jpg

i've heard great things about them but am interested in how the comfort translates to a Busa in stock form otherwise (handlebars, pegs, etc.)...i could see how it would go well with bar risers and lowered pegs as that would change your seated position...hope it works out well and you enjoy many more long trips on it :beerchug:

i've heard great things about them but am interested in how the comfort translates to a Busa in stock form otherwise (handlebars, pegs, etc.)...i could see how it would go well with bar risers and lowered pegs as that would change your seated position...hope it works out well and you enjoy many more long trips on it :beerchug:

The seats require about 1,000 miles before settling down to a height that approximates that of a stock seat. In the beginning, they're more than a bit higher and that's been true of the six that I've previously owned. Realistically, some have broken in a bit sooner than that and a few have taken a few hundred additional miles.

Yesterday, I went for a 200 mile ride and while my butt felt great, I had sore muscles that I didn't even know existed as my entire riding position was different.
The bike felt very awkward for the first 100 miles or so, and even the controls weren't aligned properly to be comfortable when sitting on a higher seat.

However.... past experience assures me that I'm going to be very uncomfortable in the beginning and then one day I'll be riding along and it will occur to me that I'm completely comfortable for as long as I choose to ride and that there's zero soreness anywhere. It's just part of the process of breaking in a Russell seat.

I do recall that it took a long time to break in the Corbin and it still isn't very comfortable on very long rides.

I'm 5'9" with a 30" inseam. The foot pegs are stock but I do have Heli-Bars.

Bump to the top . My seat is exactly like yours except I choose leather option . Jay said it breathes better than vinyl .

I have had a Corbin on my bike for a long time now, and while comfortably shaped it is frankly hard as a rock. On a recent 300 mile ride I noticed that the "sit bones" were becoming a little sensitive on albeit it a fairly rough road. By looking at the Russell seats it looks like the side "flukes" are designed to spread the load to the outer glutes to alleviate this. Is this the case?

Figure bump to the top again . Three iron butt certificates says this seat is the best motorcycle seat I have ever owned . I lost count of 500 plus miles days done . The 1170 miles in 16 hours I never thought about butt discomfort .

Back