Roethlisberger injured!

I'm with everyone else and thought he was on a HD. Is that an '05 Black/Grey with TopGun undertail and I'm guessing some other chrome work besides the grab bar?

Here's the text.. took forever to load..

By Jill King Greenwood and and Karen Roebuck
TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Monday, June 12, 2006

Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger is in serious but stable condition and in surgery this afternoon following a serious head injury this morning after his motorcycle collided with a car on Second Avenue near the 10th Street Bridge, police said.
"He is right now in the (operating room) undergoing some surgery from injuries he received in this accident today," said Dr. Larry Jones, chief of trauma and burns at Mercy Hospital, Uptown. ... He was talking to me before he left for the OR. He's coherent. He's making sense. He knows what happened."

Roethlisberger, 24, who was not wearing a helmet, collided with a Chrysler New Yorker shortly before 11:25 a.m. and was thrown off his motorcycle, flying head-first into the car's windshield "with a pretty good force," said a veteran city police officer.

Roethlisberger was talking and moving his arms and legs after the accident. He suffered injuries to his face and lost several teeth, according to city firefighters.

The injured quarterback was taken to Mercy Hospital, said a Steelers spokesman, who declined to provide other information.

The car, which has Maine license plates, was heading west on Second Avenue and was turning left onto the 10th Street Bridge. Roethlisberger was driving east on Second Avenue riding a Suzuki Hayabusa and collided with the car at the intersection of the bridge and the Armstrong Tunnels.

Roethlisberger, who led the Steelers to a Super Bowl championship this year, slammed into the windshield, rolled over the car and landed on the pavement, striking his head again, said a woman who witnessed the accident.

The witness, who declined to give her name, asked Roethlisberger several times if he was OK. He eventually replied, "My name is Ben."

He asked: "Where am I?"

"You're at the Armstrong Tunnel," the witness said.

"What city is that in?" he said.

"Pittsburgh," the woman replied.

Roethlisberger fell silent for about a minute and then tried to stand up.

"I'm OK," he said.

"No you're not," said the woman, who instructed him to stay still.

Pittsburgh homicide detectives are investigating the accident, which is standard procedure when critical injuries are involved, said city police Lt. Kevin Kraus.

Roethlisberger's 2005 Suzuki Hayabusa, which is named after a Japanese bird of prey, was totaled. The front wheel was broken in half. The handle bars were broken. The left pedal was shattered. The 170-horsepower bike, which weighs 500 pounds fully loaded, was targeted by law enforcement agencies worldwide after its 1998 debut because it could reach a top speed of 189 mph.

Suzuki Motorcycles of North America gave Roethlisberger the bike as part of a promotional deal in exchange for him appearing at several Suzuki dealerships in the area, including Andrews Cycle in Salem, Ohio where he picked up the motorcycle last summer. Andrews' sales staff declined comment.

The motorcycle is popular among first-time buyers, said Steve Stiller, a salesman at Northgate Motorcycles in Cranberry, Butler County.

Roethlisberger has said in the past that he prefers not to wear a helmet when riding his motorcycle. He has pointed out Pennsylvania's 35-year-old state law requiring helmets to be worn was amended to make helmets optional.

In May 2005, Steelers coach Bill Cowher lectured Roethlisberger on the dangers of riding without a helmet.

"He talked about being a risktaker and I'm not really a risktaker. I'm pretty conservative and laid back, but the big thing is to just be careful," Roethlisberger said at the time. "I'll just continue to be careful. I told him we don't ever ride alone, we always ride in a group of people, and I think it makes it even more safe."

In May 2005, Cleveland Browns tight end Kellen Winslow Jr. tore knee ligaments in a motorcycle accident and was lost for the season.

Roethlisberger continued to ride after Winslow's accident and that angered Terry Bradshaw, who quarterbacked the Steelers to four Super Bowl victories during the 1970s.

Visiting the Steelers' training camp last summer, Bradshaw remarked: "Ride it when you retire."

Earlier this year, Roethlisberger led the Steelers to the NFL title, giving the team the fifth Super Bowl win they had been chasing since 1980.

The Associated Press contributed to this report.

The car, which has Maine license plates, was heading west on Second Avenue and was turning left onto the 10th Street Bridge. Roethlisberger was driving east on Second Avenue riding a Suzuki Hayabusa and collided with the car at the intersection of the bridge and the Armstrong Tunnels.

The 170-horsepower bike, which weighs 500 pounds fully loaded, was targeted by law enforcement agencies worldwide after its 1998 debut because it could reach a top speed of 189 mph.

The motorcycle is popular among first-time buyers, said Steve Stiller, a salesman at Northgate Motorcycles in Cranberry, Butler County.
I grew up in Pittsburgh and know the area well. Yet another driver turning left in front of a bike. And I hate how they say the bike was targeted by law enforcement agencies ... and is popular among first-time buyers.
mad.gif

The 170-horsepower bike, which weighs 500 pounds fully loaded, was targeted by law enforcement agencies worldwide after its 1998 debut because it could reach a top speed of 189 mph.

I grew up in Pittsburgh and know the area well.  Yet another driver turning left in front of a bike. And I hate  how they say the bike was targeted by law enforcement agencies ... and is popular among first-time buyers.  
mad.gif
It's true though....just look at the # of "busa good first bike" threads we have.

I hate that they misquoted the top speed.
biggrin.gif

I thought it was common practise for NFL teams to put a "no dangerous activities" clause in the players contracts? I remember reading about that when Winslow was hurt - the team wanted their signing bonus back, or something like that....

I too, saw "$20K bike" and thought HD, then I saw the pics...

I am anticipating calls from family members shortly.... Thanks for nothing, Ben.

This must have been the weekend for the accidents. I've seen 3 or 4 posts about accidents and it sucks to see it. I watched a friend just yesterday spill his gsxr600 right behind me. Luckily we had lectured the kid for 10 minutes before we went out that he was going to wear his helmet.

Bad news all around the org. Be safe everyone

Maybe the org should send Ben some flowers and ask that he join here so the pressure of wearing a lid rubs off on him for the next time he rides...
smile.gif

My coworkers have jokes already...

"...at least he didn't run into The Bus..."

"...I heard someone from the Seahawks was driving the car..."

"...I heard someone from the Colts was driving the car..."

Honestly though, what kind of cop out comment is that? "There are laws in the NFL that require you to wear a helmet." Does that mean he would take the field with no helmet if it was not a requirement?

I watched a friend just yesterday spill his gsxr600 right behind me. Luckily we had lectured the kid for 10 minutes before we went out that he was going to wear his helmet.

Good for you! I hope he realizes what a favor you did him.

He will probably blame the accident on the helmet, though...

UPDATE...
By Jill King Greenwood and and Karen Roebuck
TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Monday, June 12, 2006

Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger is in serious but stable condition and in surgery this afternoon following a serious head injury this morning after his motorcycle collided with a car on Second Avenue near the 10th Street Bridge, police said.
Roethlisberger lost most of his teeth, fractured his left sinus cavity bone, suffered a nine-inch laceration to the back of his head and a broken jaw, and severely injured both of his knees when he hit the ground, police said.

A plastic surgeon has been summoned.

"He is right now in the (operating room) undergoing some surgery from injuries he received in this accident today," said Dr. Larry Jones, chief of trauma and burns at Mercy Hospital, Uptown. ... He was talking to me before he left for the OR. He's coherent. He's making sense. He knows what happened."

Roethlisberger, 24, who was not wearing a helmet, collided with a Chrysler New Yorker shortly before 11:25 a.m. and was thrown off his motorcycle, flying head-first into the car's windshield "with a pretty good force," said a veteran city police officer.

Roethlisberger was talking and moving his arms and legs after the accident. He suffered injuries to his face and lost several teeth, according to city firefighters.

The injured quarterback was taken to Mercy Hospital, said a Steelers spokesman, who declined to provide other information.

Several teammates, including backup quarterback Charlie Batch, linebacker Joey Porter and safety Mike Logan, arrived at the hospital emergency room but did not comment. The team planned to issue a statement later Monday, but no one from the team would be made available, said spokesman Dave Lockett, who left the hospital at about 2:40 p.m.

Roethlisberger, who led the Steelers to a Super Bowl championship this year, slammed into the windshield, rolled over the car and landed on the pavement, striking his head again, said a woman who witnessed the accident.

The witness, who declined to give her name, asked Roethlisberger several times if he was OK. He eventually replied, "My name is Ben."

He asked: "Where am I?"

"You're at the Armstrong Tunnel," the witness said.

"What city is that in?" he said.

"Pittsburgh," the woman replied.

Roethlisberger fell silent for about a minute and then tried to stand up.

"I'm OK," he said.

"No you're not," said the woman, who instructed him to stay still.

Pittsburgh homicide detectives are investigating the accident, which is standard procedure when critical injuries are involved, said city police Lt. Kevin Kraus.

Roethlisberger's 2005 Suzuki Hayabusa, which is named after a Japanese bird of prey, was totaled. The front wheel was broken in half. The handle bars were broken. The left pedal was shattered. The 170-horsepower bike, which weighs 500 pounds fully loaded, was targeted by law enforcement agencies worldwide after its 1998 debut because it could reach a top speed of 189 mph.

Suzuki Motorcycles of North America gave Roethlisberger the bike as part of a promotional deal in exchange for him appearing at several Suzuki dealerships in the area, including Andrews Cycle in Salem, Ohio where he picked up the motorcycle last summer. Andrews' sales staff declined comment.

Roethlisberger has said in the past that he prefers not to wear a helmet when riding his motorcycle. He has pointed out Pennsylvania's 35-year-old state law requiring helmets to be worn was amended to make helmets optional.

In May 2005, Steelers coach Bill Cowher lectured Roethlisberger on the dangers of riding without a helmet.

"He talked about being a risktaker and I'm not really a risktaker. I'm pretty conservative and laid back, but the big thing is to just be careful," Roethlisberger said at the time. "I'll just continue to be careful. I told him we don't ever ride alone, we always ride in a group of people, and I think it makes it even more safe."

In May 2005, Cleveland Browns tight end Kellen Winslow Jr. tore knee ligaments in a motorcycle accident and was lost for the season.

Roethlisberger continued to ride after Winslow's accident and that angered Terry Bradshaw, who quarterbacked the Steelers to four Super Bowl victories during the 1970s.

Visiting the Steelers' training camp last summer, Bradshaw remarked: "Ride it when you retire."

Earlier this year, Roethlisberger led the Steelers to the NFL title, giving the team the fifth Super Bowl win they had been chasing since 1980.

ESPN said (via a witness of the accident) his head was bleeding and he's at the hospital but the injuries are non-life-threatening.

I just learned PA modified their helmet law a couple of years ago....interesting.  21 and older w/ 2 years of experience and MSF....
Funny becuase MSF is going to tell you to wear it.

I watched a friend just yesterday spill his gsxr600 right behind me. Luckily we had lectured the kid for 10 minutes before we went out that he was going to wear his helmet.

Good for you!  I hope he realizes what a favor you did him.

He will probably blame the accident on the helmet, though...
Actually he was pretty cool about it after it happened. He was doing the squidly thing and when he fell of his feet hit the pavement which as you can probably guess sent him face first to the ground. He's got a little road rash but if he hadn't had the lid he'd be digesting teeth right now.

Rothlisberger lost some teeth, and is in surgery now. And he also does ride a Harley.

<!--EDIT|05 Busa LE
Reason for Edit: None given...|1150143565 -->

Roths_4.JPG

I thought it was common practise for NFL teams to put a "no dangerous activities"  clause in the players contracts?  I remember reading about that when Winslow was hurt - the team wanted their signing bonus back, or something like that....
Apparently Coach Cower raised that issue with him, but since it's permitted by PA law, he said that it couldn't be dangerous. Tough break; hope he's ok.

I guess it wasn't unrestricted - 189
rock.gif

Hope he is OK

WEAR GEAR WEAR GEAR WEAR GEAR WEAR GEAR

Back