Ben roethlisberger's high-profile motorcycle crash

Bigger-Busa

Registered
This artical used from
http://www.zwire.com/site....6&rfi=6

Pittsburgh Steeler Ben Roethlisberger's high-profile motorcycle crash riveted public attention on the risks of riding without a helmet, but it is unlikely to bolster the case for state bans on bareheaded bikers, say people on both sides of the debate.

The trend over the last several years has been to repeal helmet laws, said Rae Tyson, a spokesman for the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration in Washington, a leading advocate of laws requiring all motorcyclists to wear helmets.

"The truth is that those who are (proponents) of repeal are far more organized than proponents of mandatory helmet laws," Tyson said.

The 24-year-old quarterback, who was not wearing a helmet when he crashed, required seven hours of surgery Monday to repair multiple facial fractures after his 2005 Suzuki Hayabusa collided with a car making a left hand turn in Pittsburgh. He was listed in fair condition Tuesday at a Pittsburgh hospital.

Partly because Roethlisberger has been outspoken in defending his freedom to ride without a helmet in Pennsylvania, his accident rekindled the debate over whether helmet use should be mandated to save lives and hold down long-term medical expenses to society.

"If (the crash) had been on the expressway, he probably wouldn't have been alive," said Gary Mitchell, a vice president for the Michigan Association of Insurance Agents, which is fighting to preserve that state's helmet law despite the Legislature's vote earlier this month to repeal it. Gov. Jennifer Granholm supports the law and is expected to veto the repeal bill.

Charles Umbenhauer, lobbyist for the 7,000-member Pennsylvania Alliance of Bikers Aimed Toward Education, which led the successful campaign to repeal Pennsylvania's universal-helmet law in 2003, said Roethlisberger's accident is unlikely to spur efforts to restore the law.

"We have accidents every day that are far worse than that one," said Umbenhauer, whose group has long maintained that better rider training is the key to safer motorcycling.

One motorcyclist who doesn't need to be convinced of the benefits of wearing a helmet is Jason Garber, 35, who spent his lunch hour Tuesday shopping for a helmet at the Pittsburgh Cycle Center.

"I hit a deer years ago. If I didn't have my helmet, my face would be gone," Garber said. "You have to be a little bit insane not to wear a helmet."

Only 20 states currently require all motorcycle riders to wear helmets. Twenty-seven others mandate helmet use for certain riders and the other three states have no helmet requirements. Pennsylvania requires helmets for novices and riders younger than 21.

In Pennsylvania, the number of motorcycle deaths involving riders who were confirmed not to have been wearing helmets nearly quadrupled from 23 in 2002 _ the last full year the state's old helmet law was in effect _ to 87 in 2005, according to the state Department of Transportation. The total number of motorcycle deaths in 2005 was 205, up from 134 in 2002, PennDOT said.

Umbenhauer said the Pennsylvania fatality statistics are affected by increases in motorcycle registrations, which grew by 30 percent between 2002 and 2005, and an influx of bikers seeking to temporarily escape helmet laws in neighboring states of New York, New Jersey and Maryland.

"It hasn't spiked that much in my opinion," he said.

The NHTSA estimates that helmets saved the lives of 1,316 motorcyclists in 2004 and that an additional 671 lives could have been saved, had all motorcyclists worn helmets that year.

An NHTSA study in Florida found that motorcycle deaths and fatalities increased in the 30 months after that state repealed its universal helmet law in 2002. The same study showed the average head injury treatment cost increased by nearly $10,000 to more than $45,000.

Motorcycle helmets have yet to become an issue in Pennsylvania's gubernatorial race, although the candidates hold conflicting viewpoints.

Former Steelers star Lynn Swann, the Republican nominee, would sign a bill to restore the universal helmet law if he is elected and the Legislature passes it, said spokeswoman Melissa Walters. But he is not advocating such a move, she said.

Democratic Gov. Ed Rendell, who signed the 2003 repeal bill, stands by his decision to let bikers decide the helmet question for themselves, said his press secretary, Kate Philips.

____

Associated Press writer Dan Nephin contributed to this report.

(Picture is of the bike in the artical)

<!--EDIT|Bigger-Busa
Reason for Edit: None given...|1150246550 -->

crashed_Busa.jpg

good to hear Ben is recovering but looking at his injuries if a helmet was worn seems like he would have walked to the dealership after the wreck, bought a new bike, and rode home. Oh and some neosporin for the abrasions.

I hope he can fully recover and play again, he is alive which is the good thing. I still just do not get why you wouldn't want to wear a helmet.

they said today that he will make the first game of the season but probably not the first preseason game. The guy is lucky as hell. Broken upper and lower jaw, missing 2 teeth cracked/chipped a few more, mild concusion, cuts, bruises...

The car turned left in front of him and he hit his face right into the windshield! Man that is a terrible way to hit.

crashed_busa5555.jpg

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2006....cnn=yes

"Roethlisberger was discharged Wednesday night from Mercy Hospital and apologized to the team, his fans and family in a statement released Thursday. He also said in the statement that he would wear a helmet if he rode motorcycle again."

Almost the same thing happened to my brother, lady pulled out of a parking lot in front of him, he hit her @ 40mph...
totaled his VFR800 and her honda prelude. He got a compound fracture of his leg where his leg got trapped between the bike & car. After the leg broke, he plowed out her windshield, cartwheeled & landed 25 ft down the road.

No head injuries, no lost teeth, his kevlar pads on his jacket had a few threads cut from the windshield.

I've been hit in the side twice too, gone down both times, walked away both times...That safety gear is worth every penny.
$200 in pants is cheaper than $15000 in skin grafts.

You can have a really minor spill and still pop your head hard enough to kill yourself.  But, who cares? Good photo op if the goober crashes in front of you.  Here you go Mom, if you wash the blood and brains off, these really cool American Chopper shades will still work for his half-wit brother.

Not talking about Roethlisberger, don't know if he has a brother.

<!--EDIT|FAVahalik
Reason for Edit: None given...|1150750629 -->

I've been hit in the side twice too, gone down both times, walked away both times...That safety gear is worth every penny.
$200 in pants is cheaper than $15000 in skin grafts.
Im guessing you just didn't know the area you were riding in real well where you were riding, otherwise you would have had no accidents
tounge.gif

And Skin grafts build character and add personality...right
rock.gif

Air your jewels out and ride like a man...shorts and tennis shoes are the only thing required, as Ego will defend you from attacking cagers with mythical force-field powers!

Woops...wrong thread
tounge.gif
laugh.gif
all_coholic.gif

tounge.gif

The other day I actually had a truck in front of me "try" to crash me. Yes. Ok, the guy in front of me was in some old pickup truck on a 2 lane road in the country. He was going slow or just the speed limit, and I came up behind him because... I'm on a busa. Well ok I was about to make a pass when his turn signal came on. So... I slowed. He then puts his arm out of the window "waving me on to pass him". But no, I didn't. I stayed back. He then stops waving and flicked me the bird as he made his left turn. I think he wanted to wave me around and then pull into the other lane to crash me! Luckily I didn't take the bait...

I love these anti-Helmet A$$holes... They keep plenty of healthy organs flowing into the donor system and allow darwinism to cull the heard.

People are fuggin stupid, plain and simple. Being surrounded by Hardly minded folks all day you hear so much stupid sh!t coming out of their mouths about helmets and gear in general that it kinda almost makes ya dizzy...

It's cool, if you don't want to wear a helmet fine, just make certain that you've planned ahead, and your life and health insurance are up to date and sufficient besides the world will be better off without your Dumba$$ in it.

Only reason this jerkoff survived is that he is a pro-athlete, in peak physical condition, and wasn't traveling that fast. Had it been otherwise we would have been reading the Obit.

The other day I actually had a truck in front of me "try" to crash me. Yes. Ok, the guy in front of me was in some old pickup truck on a 2 lane road in the country. He was going slow or just the speed limit, and I came up behind him because... I'm on a busa. Well ok I was about to make a pass when his turn signal came on. So... I slowed. He then puts his arm out of the window "waving me on to pass him". But no, I didn't. I stayed back. He then stops waving and flicked me the bird as he made his left turn. I think he wanted to wave me around and then pull into the other lane to crash me! Luckily I didn't take the bait...
What a #### head. He could have gotten away with it to.

I love these anti-Helmet A$$holes...  They keep plenty of healthy organs flowing into the donor system and allow darwinism to cull the heard.
I'd like to think that they help hold the price of helmets down too. If everyone has to buy a helmet, the manufacturers would probably start raising prices.
biggrin.gif

I think the fact that BR said he "might not" ride again is bogus!!!

IF he truly loves riding, he'll ride again. IF he had a friggin helmet on his azz would have been just fine. He would NOT have head the facial/throat injuries he had!

He's only 24, so I also look at it like that.... I don't care if he's a millionaire playing NFL ball. Simply put, he was a dump punk riding a busa with no helmet!!!!

He got what he deserved... a head/facial injury because he had no helmet on.

The HELMET is the first and one true thing any cycle rider MUST wear even if it's not illegal to ride w/o one!!! It's common sense!!!!

Hey, I don't wear riding pants. But, do I deserve a skinned up leg because I had jeans on IF a car hit me? I don't think so! I think it's different! Because wearing a helmet should be rule of friggin thumb while riding a motorcycle... especially a busa!!!! duh!!!
rock.gif

Your head is your life... to not protect it is F*G*G*G ing stupid!!!!

Gear will save your skin. A helmet will maybe save your life.... I guess that's how I see it....

Thanks for reading....

Back