Another Arizona rider killed

lil charlie

Registered
This is a bad start to the season; this guy makes 5 in the past 2 weeks in Tucson. I hate old drivers and this cop should have known better than to ride without a helmet!

A Tucson Police Department officer with more than 20 years of experience died Sunday in an off-duty motorcycle crash.

Officer Joseph Pat Olguin, 52, was eastbound on East Sixth Street near North Country Club Road on his personal motorcycle at about 10 a.m. when he struck a westbound Kia making a left turn into a driveway, police said. Olguin was taken to a hospital where he died about 11:30 a.m., said Tucson police Capt. Michael Gillooly. Olguin was not wearing a helmet, officials said. He was in uniform when the accident occurred because he was on his way home from an off-duty job, Gillooly said. Gillooly said Olguin was a hardworking patrol officer in the Midtown Division who gave back to the community. "We deal with this type of thing on a routine basis, but it really strikes home when it's one of our own," Gillooly said of fatal motorcycle crashes. "Our entire department is grieving now. It's a horrific accident that happens routinely. But it touched us today." It was not known Sunday if Olguin had relatives in Tucson.

Police cited the 83-year-old driver of the other vehicle for failure to yield while making a left turn. She was not injured. Olguin was at least the fifth person riding a motorcycle killed on area streets in the last two weeks. Three of the previous victims also were not wearing a helmets.

Its' the dayum snow birds man. Here in phoenix they hit motorcyclists all the time, cant stand them
Posted via Mobile Device

Yes, the Blue-Hair was definitely in the wrong, without question.

But.... damnation..... a LEO with several decades of experience who won't wear a helmet? WTF is up with that.....? :dunno:

But.... damnation..... a LEO with several decades of experience who won't wear a helmet? WTF is up with that.....? :dunno:

It was too hot out.

I think failure to yield, is a pretty weak punishment.

they should have a hunting season for snow birds here, that and tourists from canada....jk
Posted via Mobile Device

Blame it on the elderly when WE (as a society) go to the trouble of testing folks for driving skills with any regularity at all. Here in MD, as long you don't go blind, once you get your drivers license you can have it for life without EVER BEING SKILL TESTED EVER AGAIN, so long as you can pass the vision test or get a note from your doc that you passed your vision test.

Ya ain't gotta be old to drive poorly/dangerously anymore than you need to be motor cop to know that helmets aren't just hats for when your at work.

That said,

RIP Rider.

It was too hot out.

I think failure to yield, is a pretty weak punishment.

Not to stir the pot, but what punishment properly fits that crime? I think loss of driving privileges if it does prove that it the driver was completely in the wrong otherwise maybe a $ penalty it's not like you're gonna see time served....

yep. an officer should be wearing his gear. lead by example right?

Blame it on the elderly when WE (as a society) go to the trouble of testing folks for driving skills with any regularity at all. Here in MD, as long you don't go blind, once you get your drivers license you can have it for life without EVER BEING SKILL TESTED EVER AGAIN, so long as you can pass the vision test or get a note from your doc that you passed your vision test.

Ya ain't gotta be old to drive poorly/dangerously anymore than you need to be motor cop to know that helmets aren't just hats for when your at work.

That said,

RIP Rider.

I say periodic testing should be put in place. or... when you go to retire you should retest or better yet. every time you go to renew they should retest. I know it will save lives.

you are correct it might save lives but what about age discrimination? should we just be testing the old folks as they retire???? there are lots of laws against age descrimination...i say we test everyone every 5 years...driving test every 5 no matter what.

as to the punishment...this driver killed someone as a result of their mistake..around here thats vehicular homicide. wether its intentional or not. They should be required to pay money to the family for the rest of thier lives i say. this idiot took a families sustanance of the table.

you are correct it might save lives but what about age discrimination? should we just be testing the old folks as they retire???? there are lots of laws against age descrimination...i say we test everyone every 5 years...driving test every 5 no matter what.

as to the punishment...this driver killed someone as a result of their mistake..around here thats vehicular homicide. wether its intentional or not. They should be required to pay money to the family for the rest of thier lives i say. this idiot took a families sustanance of the table.

You guys are 100% correct, the older you get the more often you should have to prove you still have the reaction times that it takes to operate a motor vehicle. Most states, as is here in Arizona, don’t make people retake their skills evaluation once you have obtained your driver’s license at age 16; as long as you can pass the vision tests your good to go. My driver’s license doesn’t not expire until my birthday in 2043…..2043! What the heck is up with that? The dude who hit me head on was 93 years old and had not been to the DMV for a new “vision test†for 6 years. A lot changes to the elderly in the course of 1 year let along 6. The guy had full blown Alzheimer for Christ sakes, the laws need to change so more people don’t die. I’m not saying that the elderly shouldn’t drive but once you get to 75 you should have to retake the driving portion of the test every two years, and once you hit 85 it should be every year. 90 years and older should need a physical from their doctor too. Maybe this would put some liability on the Docs and we could keep some of the older people who have no business driving off of the damn road.

Depending on what age elderly entails - statistically they are very safe drivers. It's generally not attitude or lack of driving skill - it's physical and/or mental degeneration. So yes - at some age the elderly should have to start taking physical and mental accuity tests regularly. If we're lucky age will catch up with us also.

RIP

I say periodic testing should be put in place. or... when you go to retire you should retest or better yet. every time you go to renew they should retest. I know it will save lives.

You guys are 100% correct, the older you get the more often you should have to prove you still have the reaction times that it takes to operate a motor vehicle. Most states, as is here in Arizona, don’t make people retake their skills evaluation once you have obtained your driver’s license at age 16; as long as you can pass the vision tests your good to go. My driver’s license doesn’t not expire until my birthday in 2043…..2043! What the heck is up with that? The dude who hit me head on was 93 years old and had not been to the DMV for a new “vision test†for 6 years. A lot changes to the elderly in the course of 1 year let along 6. The guy had full blown Alzheimer for Christ sakes, the laws need to change so more people don’t die. I’m not saying that the elderly shouldn’t drive but once you get to 75 you should have to retake the driving portion of the test every two years, and once you hit 85 it should be every year. 90 years and older should need a physical from their doctor too. Maybe this would put some liability on the Docs and we could keep some of the older people who have no business driving off of the damn road.

ANYTHING other than regular periodic testing for ALL drivers is simply not gonna ensure licensed drivers are capable. I would speculate that, in general, retesting every 5 years would be a good start. At around retirement age, let's say 65, testing frequency should be increased.

In addition, if you fail a test, you're evaluated as to why before you take it again. Depending on the cause, maybe you just retest or maybe you get a medical issue corrected first and/or maybe you then retest every year thereafter if it's an issue that could come back.

As for AGISM: BS! It's only UNJUST discrimination if there is no valid reason for requiring increased testing frequency. We're not talkin' about not letting someone in to a restaraunt to eat or makin' them ride in a different bus b/c we don't like they way the look. We're talkin' about requiring a certain level of physical ability and mental awareness for the safety of EVERYONE, including them.

Back