Righteous Shooting, HOWEVER.......

Warchild

Banned
There's no doubt in my mind that, if accurately reported, this was a righteous shooting by the 14-year-old...... evidently, a well-trained 14-year-old....

14-year-old Phoenix boy shoots armed intruder - Yahoo! News

PHOENIX (AP) — A 14-year-old boy shot and nearly killed an intruder who broke into his Phoenix home and pulled a gun on him while he was watching his three younger siblings, police said Saturday.

The teen and his siblings, ages 8, 10 and 12, were at home alone when a woman rang the doorbell Friday afternoon, Phoenix police Officer James Holmes said.

The teen didn't open the door because he didn't recognize the woman.

Soon after, the teen heard a loud bang on the door, rushed his siblings upstairs and got a handgun from his parent's bedroom.

When he got to the top of the stairs, he saw a man break through the front door and point a gun at him.

The boy shot the 37-year-old man, who was taken to a hospital in extremely critical condition and underwent surgery. The man was upgraded to critical condition and is expected to survive and be booked into jail within the week on counts of aggravated assault and burglary, Holmes said.

He said the suspect did not get a shot off. He declined to release his name until he is booked into jail.

The woman who rang the home's doorbell got away.

Holmes hailed the teen's actions and his parents for teaching the kids to never open the door to strangers.

"The police and indeed our community does not ever want to see a situation where a teenager of that age has to take a weapon to protect his family ... but this young man did exactly what he should have done," he said. "I'm not sure he gave full thought about what he had to do. He just acted."

While I applaud the outcome, and the boy's bravery/situational awareness/etc, here's one question I have that the article doesn't answer (or provide any info regarding):

How is it that the young teenage boy has such ready access to a loaded weapon? :dunno:

Mind you, I'd be less concerned if I knew the father was an expert fairarms instructor, that he has passed on the importance of gun safety, responsible use, etc, etc. to the 14 year old, and that the loaded weapon was kept in a quick-access gun vault. or some such. If all that was the case, I'd say the outcome was destiny.

But I am suspicious that the speed at which the boy was able to draw down on the home intruder sorta suggests that the boy knew exactly where the loaded weapon was stashed, ran and got it, and did what he had to do. But I am not so sure the weapon was locked up properly.... and, if it wasn't, I view this as highly problematic, since the 14 year old had three (3) younger siblings. A trained, mature 14 year old is one thing.... but with much younger children in and around the house, Dad needs to have this weapon in a fast-access gun vault, IMO.

And this might still be the case.... just can't tell from the article.

Still nothing but massive accolades for this young 14 year old shooter..... hitting an intruder from upstairs with a pistol, who just kicked down the front door and had a gun pointed at him.... suspect this boy has been well-trained!

Damn good shooting young man!! :thumbsup: :bowdown: :thumbsup: :bowdown:

Vid of the news report:

hell yes that makes me happy that the kids did not get hurt and the boy knew how to do what he had to do.

Hopefully they'll go federal and the intruder will get 25 years, while this family has a chance to enjoy life. The first time I brought a weapon into my home, I cleared it and made it safe, brought the kids in, explained a few things to them and gave them their one and only chance to touch it. My oldest was 9 and the youngest was 4. They declined, and I never had an issue. I can't find fought.

He has access to a loaded weapons because his parents probably taught him to shoot and the responsibility to only grab the gun in such a situation. MY opinion is only speculation though. I would only assume and hope that is the truth.

I actually was just thinking today how old would my child be before I taught him how to shoot and show him where my gun is hidden in case of such a situation. Quite a coincidence!

He has access to a loaded weapons because his parents probably taught him to shoot and the responsibility to only grab the gun in such a situation. MY opinion is only speculation though. I would only assume and hope that is the truth.
I do, too. And, since this happened in gun-crazed Arizona... you are probably spot on the money! :beerchug:

My concern would be if a fast-access gun vault is not in use... 'cuz the three other children are much younger, and likely not trained to the degree the 14-year-old evidently was.

I actually was just thinking today how old would my child be before I taught him how to shoot and show him where my gun is hidden in case of such a situation. Quite a coincidence!

I certainly can't begrudge the father for (evidently) teaching his 14-year-old son how to handle a firearm... both my 15-year-old son, and my 12-year old daughter (who is the best shooter of us three) know *exactly* where the .45 1911 and XD(m) 9mm are kept; both children are deadly accurate shooters (the girl more so). Both of these two have their own 9mm, and I have spent many hours at the range with them.

It is both gratifying (and slightly unnerving) to watch my 12 year old Rachel with her XD(m) at the indoor range. During fast shooting exercises, at targets 25 feet away, she will let loose with 19 rounds in about 12 seconds, and ~ 80% of her rounds are kill shots.
Mighty impressive for a 12 year old. :beerchug:

I imagine that this kid has been trained. He knew what to do with siblings and did what he had to. As for weapons being locked up. Maybe it was and he was taught the combo. Or maybe not. It's not problematic with proper training. I grew up with a 30-30 at the front and back door a rifle in the gun rack a horse saddle holster and pistols in the glove box. No one in my family has shot themselves or anyone else on "accident". I use accident loosely since I was brought up to believe there is no such thing with a firearm.

Now I know that my upbringing in the country isn't the standard but all the country folks I knew never had issues. I think it's funny that We have all these laws for gun control but none that say you should be educated in their use to own one now.

Anyhow props to the kid for doing right an hope he's able to cope with what he had to do as its not an easy thing.

Glad it worked out the way it did, but in my opinion the would be home invasion / child killer should be locked up for the rest of his life without parole.

There's no doubt in my mind that, if accurately reported, this was a righteous shooting by the 14-year-old...... evidently, a well-trained 14-year-old....

14-year-old Phoenix boy shoots armed intruder - Yahoo! News

While I applaud the outcome, and the boy's bravery/situational awareness/etc, here's one question I have that the article doesn't answer (or provide any info regarding):

How is it that the young teenage boy has such ready access to a loaded weapon? :dunno:

Mind you, I'd be less concerned if I knew the father was an expert fairarms instructor, that he has passed on the importance of gun safety, responsible use, etc, etc. to the 14 year old, and that the loaded weapon was kept in a quick-access gun vault. or some such. If all that was the case, I'd say the outcome was destiny.

But I am suspicious that the speed at which the boy was able to draw down on the home intruder sorta suggests that the boy knew exactly where the loaded weapon was stashed, ran and got it, and did what he had to do. But I am not so sure the weapon was locked up properly.... and, if it wasn't, I view this as highly problematic, since the 14 year old had three (3) younger siblings. A trained, mature 14 year old is one thing.... but with much younger children in and around the house, Dad needs to have this weapon in a fast-access gun vault, IMO.

And this might still be the case.... just can't tell from the article.

Still nothing but massive accolades for this young 14 year old shooter..... hitting an intruder from upstairs with a pistol, who just kicked down the front door and had a gun pointed at him.... suspect this boy has been well-trained!

Damn good shooting young man!! :thumbsup: :bowdown: :thumbsup: :bowdown:

Vid of the news report:

I just wish the boy would have followed up with a couple more "for sure" rounds to finish the scumbag off. Guaranteed the scumbag will eventually get out of prison and hurt or kill more innocent victims :banghead:

His Birth Certificate says he's 14 years old, but his maturity level is way above board. I bet if the town had a parade for him, he's decline. Any intruder that comes through the door with a gun, needs to be greeted with a gun.

I have brought both my kids to the range with me starting at about the age of 10. If your going to have guns in the house they need to know where and how to use them and when not to touch. They need to see outside the box of xbox and ps3 and see and feel what its really like to shoot a firearm. They respect it much more when its hands on.I keep my pistols in a gunsafe with a finger combo. They know the code and they never go in there. I guess its the maturity of the kids as to when to show them the gun world.

taking my little sisters to the range (ages 16 to 22) and teaching them how to fire the beretta, and how to safely handle it as well. the parents of this kid should get a medal.

this country was founded with the entire family knowing exactly where and how to use the guns.... with the steady decline of proper parenting and instruction (hence note increase in crime and murder) we who hold to long standing traditions and morals should give the intruder that much more advantage because we MUST have everything locked up?? hold on Mr thief/rapist/murder i need to unlock my safe....now hold on....got to go unlock the ammo....hold on....be patient ill get to you in a sec as i load... OK.... Mr thief/rapist/murder i am NOW READY? i say NO and god bless the parents of those who TEACH their children right from wrong and give them and themselves the TOOLS necessary to safely deal with such danger!!

I am glad he shot the guy and hope they put him under the jail after a few have their way with him.

chrisjp said:
this country was founded with the entire family knowing exactly where and how to use the guns.... with the steady decline of proper parenting and instruction (hence note increase in crime and murder) we who hold to long standing traditions and morals should give the intruder that much more advantage because we MUST have everything locked up?? hold on Mr thief/rapist/murder i need to unlock my safe....now hold on....got to go unlock the ammo....hold on....be patient ill get to you in a sec as i load... OK.... Mr thief/rapist/murder i am NOW READY? i say NO and god bless the parents of those who TEACH their children right from wrong and give them and themselves the TOOLS necessary to safely deal with such danger!!

I think it's not all decline in parenting. It's also decline in need. Folks had guns around as proper tools and needed them for food and defense. As we have become a urbanized society though the need for every family to have a gun as a tool is disappearing. Kids don't grow up hunting and shooting in the city for the most part. But as you said that's where proper patenting comes in to educated and train in proper use and respect. But first the parent need to have that education before bringing those firearms into the house.

Blah sorry just rambling before bed :).

I am very familiar with the neighborhood of where this happened. Anywhere in South Phoenix is not your Leave it to Beaver nice neighborhood. Allot of crime throughout the whole south Phoenix area. GOOD JOB KID. :beerchug::beerchug:

good job! he had been left responsible for his younger siblings and did exactly what he needed to do :bowdown:

at his age, i had several guns including a .30-06 and 12 gauge hanging in a gun rack over my bed that i took out by myself and used all the time...when i was younger, my dad always had guns in the house and i knew exactly what would happen if i even touched them without asking...he started training me with a BB gun when i could barely c0ck it and let me go to bigger guns as i showed the ability to use them responsibly

my respect goes to these parents that gave their son the tools and training he needed to react correctly in an emergency!! :beerchug:

My kids aren't mature enough to have access to guns and most definitely the kids and cousins of them always in my house are not either. My daughter at 13 is not in anyway interested and my son at 6 is still too fascinated with them to respect them. Almost but not quite yet. I applaud the kid for protecting his siblings and the parents for obviously teaching him right. Although the kid may not have ever shot with his dad and may just be a Call of Duty master :laugh: he did right. In Florida though it is a felony to leave a firearm within easy reach of a minor. I wonder how this would play into things had this happened here?

its a good story with a great ending but if the 14 yr old shot one of his friends showing off demonstrating how well he knows how to work a pistol it wouldnt be such a great story which happens far more often then a 14 yr old shooting an intruder.

get a DOG for home protection. its far more effective then any 14 yr. old with a gun. with a big nasty dog barking at the door I can assure you they would have chosen another house.

im my 16 yrs. of LE I have NEVER been to a burglary or home invasion when a big guard dog was present. NEVER once!

Back