Riding in the rain

G

I do not mind riding in the rain but do not want to damage my Busa. I would be thankful for any suggestions on increased maintenance intervals or warnings about what parts to try to keep dry and how.
I would also like any suggestions on riding suits and wet weather gear. I owned a Honda suit years ago but am leaning towards cordura or full leathers. Any recommendations?

I ride everyday rain or shine in San Jose California,I use a cheap bright yellow two piece rain suit that I got from Price Costco which cost around $24.00 and for shoes I have a HI-Top water proof boot made by Hi-Tek,same brand used by the SWAT/MERGE team,For gloves any good brand ski/leather glove.Under the cheap rain suit I wear either a ski jacket or leather jacket depending on the temperture.Now if it's a full down pour then I switch over to my Kilamanjaro full length jacket and matching riding pants.The bike is wiped off and cleaned everynight after riding in the rain and the chain is given a wipe down with WD-40 and the electrical switches are given a spray of silicon spray or WD-40.I also use one of those ski mask diving material type to protect my face from the cold,and if it's really cold then I use my SWAT TEAM full face mask made out of the same material as workout gym shorts spendix type.I keep the bike under 80mph tops on the freeway and I'm always looking for danger,I try to keep away from 18 wheelers and big trucks or Vans cause I can't see around them plus they give off a big spray of water from the tires.I keep all my junk and maps in my trunk and they are kept in plastic Ziplock bags.A plus for wearing the bright yellow rain suit is that if you are splitting lanes which they allow in California most drivers will move out of your way cause they thing you must be a CHP or Cop.My Helmet is either a full face or Half face Helmet that looks like a Cops Helmet.Anyways I hope this helps you out.Oh ya watch out for painted lines on the road,man-hole covers and railroad tracks. Ride safe in the rain and stay warm.

Cisco---that is great information---you should send it in to one of the cycle mags. I bet they would print it. As a matter of fact--I copied it for a freind of mine--hope you did not mind.

Do what ever you want with my post,it's my own experience from riding in the rain out here in Sunnyvale/San Jose California since 1987.Some times it rains and sometimes it don't.

Agree on all that Cisco.

I keep one visor on hand that's impregnated with Rainex. Works fabulously well in any rain conditions...as long as you're going 30 mph or more your visor is almost perfectly clear. On the highway, you won't even be aware of rain on your visor even in a heavy downpour.

Don't put Rainex on your regular visor though. It makes a smearing effect when you remove bugs, and Rainex is virtually impossible to remove once it's on.

Also, I find the best gloves are the heavy cotton-backed rubber gauntlets used by chemical workers and electricians. Get them at any good hardware store or work safety store.

Hospital surgical gloves in extra large size are cheap, light, pack small, impervious to water and warm. Wear them over riding gloves though they'll last about a millisecond in a crash.

Don't even talk about rain. Here in the Northwest, rain shortens the bike season to about 4 good months. Riding in it isn't so bad. It's the cleaning off of all the road crud that stinks.

i don't know about you all but i got stuck in the rain 1 time on my busa and couldn't keep the back tire under it!

Agreed - the rear tire will spin like mad with only a small amount of throttle in the rain. Even higher gears are suseptible. Would be nice to pull a plug wire or two during these conditions. :) It's the massive torque and lack of much grip.

Easyrider it's colon no space right parenthesis for a smile....colon no space left parenthesis for a frown.

Riding in the rain is the ultimate test of a rider's ability, IMHO.

Win a race in the rain, you rule for a day.

Back