Leathers or GoreTex ??

OB_SlowHand

Registered
I don't know why anyone would use multiple layers of Gore-Tex. It's just a breathable moisture barrier with roughly the abrasion resistance of a t-shirt.Gore-tex is just the liner; the suit itself is another type material.

As someone said, there are Cordura and Kevlar suits that provide a good amount of protection, particularly in bad weather where leathers aren't so good.

The only grade of kevlar that compares favorably with leather is made by a German co. known as Shoeller. DIFI, a German co. makes suits using that material. Their material is blended with spandex type fiber that improves on regular Kevlar's tendency to snag on road irregularities. Expensive. I have one.

Cordura is best represented by Aerostich suits, which are a great option for moderate use. They have excellent armor and are almost as good as a rain suit in bad weather.

A friend of mine has crashed 3 times wearing Aerostich, once straight into the side of a mountain. Not hurt.

I have an older, well worn suit similar to the Aerostich made by Motoport. Breathes well, fully armored. Good for times when leathers might be overkill. You can wear street clothes underneath the Kevlar and Cordura suits.

For the ultimate protection, I would put my money and carcass in a set of good leathers.I have an old but decent set, but I probably need to upgrade.

I have heard of X-Tech, but have not seen any. Dainese is an excellent company.

[This message has been edited by SlowHand (edited 12 July 2000).]

Gortex can only protect you from the elements, mainly wind and water.

I'd hate to see the poor sucker who buys a gortex riding suit and goes down. He'll be all fooked up.

Gotta go leather man!

I have a Cordura touring jacket by Tourmaster with armor inserts,and a Teknic Violator two piece perforated leathers.The leathers are much more cooler than the Cordura.I live in Texas and it is HOT down here.The Cordura jacket has zipper vents,but they dont allow for the same amount of cooling as the perforations on the leathers cover a larger area and allow better airflow.Might not really be a consideration in Sweden.But,oiled or not,I sure would hate to get caught in a downpour in leathers.
Just my opinion.

full leathers /boots/ gloves /and back protector. roadrash sucks!

[This message has been edited by hayabusaboy (edited 21 July 2000).]

Ok, guys...what do you prefer wearing while driving your Busa' ? (and being fully protected....no t-shirts please)

I guess that some of you live in places with better weather than in Sweden.

Full leather, maybe 2-piece, GoreTex or some other materials?

...I guess thet would matter more if you were worried about getting wet rather than getting shredded....but wearable amounts of Kevlar do not compare well to armored leather either, when it comes to protection...

I have looked at a suit from Dainese called X-Tech (black with kevlar and carbon) with integrated back protection.

The price (over here) is $1.200 for a jacket with pants.

I think it's made with GoreTex in combination with some other material, have you heard of this??

[This message has been edited by the Madman (edited 12 July 2000).]

*** WEATHERREPORT ***
July 13, 2000

Today we have rain and 59 degrees in central Stockholm. Next week we expect less rain and up to 74 degrees.

(considering we have got a short summer over here, biking isn't really that economic and sane.)

I have a two piece Aerostich suit with full armor. It's Codura with goretex lining.

Pro's.
1. Excellent in the wet
2. With vents open, OK in the heat
3. Good for 130mph getoff's. No one has tried higher speeds.
4. Lots of pockets.
5. MCN tested it and gave it a 4 star. I notice the magazine guys wearing Aero's more than any other suit. For what that's worth.
6. Can wear street clothes under it.
7. Comfortable
8. Can get all kinds of colors.

CON's
1. Fully perforated leather is cooler.
2. Not cheap. Though cheaper than a set of Vanson's.
3. Not legal for racing.
4. Nerdy looking. Not badass like leather.

Does that help guys.

[This message has been edited by Lyle (edited 14 July 2000).]

Lyle

I have been looking at that Aerostitch gear for the UK winters. Looks great. I am going to get a set, all black hopefully.

Problem is no 'official importers in Uk!! have to order over the 'net, I don't like the World wide web...too many funny people with Hayabusas on it!!

Nuts

Back