Riding bud wants get Tl100R 00'

TIBBS

Registered
I have a riding buddy that has a 96' ZX9 (full muzzy, k&n and stage 3 kit) which needs a new tranny.  Big bucks to fix and is considering trading for a 2000 TL100R (with D&D slip-ons, 2600 miles) as a quick replacement. The price is 6500.  He is an inline-4 soundaholic but doesn't mind the V-twin sound.  Any reviews or comments about the TL would be helpful.

Tibbs

I rode my 2000 TL1000R for 20k miles without a problem. Just oil changes, tires, and new chain. Great bike I miss the sound of a Vtwin. Thats the only thing I miss about it the most. 6500 seems a little steep though. I wouldnt pay no more then 5500 max and thats a little steep. TL's dont seem to hold there value very well.

Man, I LOVE the sound of the V2 on a sportbike. Anyway, I've ridden one, handles awesome I think. Its a very different kind of bike; the engine has very different characteristics. With everyone I've met, you either love em or hate em. I was seriously considering one before the Busa (I'm real glad I got the Busa tho, I think I would have gotten sick of the TLR after about a year or so). I think its a good bike, but a constant gripe I heard about was the rear rotary damper suspension. It seems to be the first to go. Also, for the older ones (I think the 2000 is included in this) I heard the hump flies off at speed. Anyway, I also think 6500 is too much. try 5, maybe 5500 max. Hope this helps

I traded in my 01 Tl1000R for my Busa in Feb. Mine was a 01 with 3800 miles on it. I got about 6500 for it. Remember the pipes and extra's are selling points and should not be added in the price. I do miss the V-twin sound. I thought that I would miss the torque, but the busa has enough power to make up for it.

Before busa, I had a beautiful 01 tls....fun bike but not with a passenger. Changed the dynamics too much. They have a great balance point if you like to carry the front end, 1st & 2nd wheelies were so easy. I never got use to all the banging and clanging going on, cold starts always sound like she was coming apart. Tons of attitude, aka "the bitch". $6500 is too much for an 00', imo, I think my local dealer still has a new 03' for $8500. Busa is soooo much more comfy and smooth, but I'm 48 years old, too....let me know if you want details on the new one.

Back