Ride report

Don Hardcastle

Busa Ridin' Sailor (ret)
Donating Member
Registered
As most of you know, I am active duty Navy.  Well Uncle Sam decided that our presence was required in Memphis (NSA Millington actually, but close enough).  So a buddy of mine (2004 Volusia) decided road trip.  
First of all Guinevere has stock suspension, grips, seat, ride height, handle bars and tires.  
Thursday was 441 miles to get there.  Friday was 375 to get back (2 different routes).
Guinevere took care of me and we only had one close call with some a-hole who decided to blast pass us as the road was merging from having a passing lane (one side is has two lines for a bit so ppl can pass semis going up hills).  The guy in the little Datsun truck missed the Volusia's highway bars by literally inches. Had the guy not realized his error and slowed down and motioned us to go around him. We would have followed him to well just about anywhere so that when he stopped, he would have an entire new respect for old Busa riding Chief.
The only negative things that I can say is that my wrists are a little sore this morning.  Especially my right one.  I will have a Throttlemeister or the cruise control from Audiovox before my next road trip.  
Yes I have pictures but we sent a lot of things home (including the camera) with some other recruiters in a Gov't car so I will get them in a couple of days.  
Even with some spirited riding thru the mountains we still averaged about 40mpg for the whole trip.  Not sure how we did that, but I checked it with a calculator and it matched the trip-o-meter.  
The battleaxs provided a firm predictable ride.
About 4 hours of the entire ride was after dark and I must say that if you have not replaced your stock bulbs with at least Sylvania Silverstars (that's what I have) it is a $40 cheap mod that you are seriously missing out on.
It was my first long road trip (riding) in quite a while and I am none the worse for wear.  The semi-annual physical fitness test that we were invited to attend had more of a negative affect on me that the ride.
Yes I know, Navy and we only run a mile and a half and I am old and have all day to do it in but it still sucks.  (That is for you Shawn, because I know you will read this and laugh about our PRT).  :p

Anyway, that is about it.  I will get some pictures up as soon as I get my camera back.

Don

Sweet ride.... Can't wait for the pic's! Sorry to hear about the cager, who needs em anyway!

Back