rev limiter

fullthrottle185

Registered
I'm looking to push the envelope. Any advice on how to get around the rev limiter? I got the bike last fall and haven't done much to it yet but ill get there sooner or later. the list keeps growing.
laugh.gif

The rev limiter is there for a reason, are you referring to the speed limiter?

There is a guy that can mod your ECU to extend your rev limiter, but not by very much, like I said there is a reason why they stop the motor at 10,800.

talk to DaveO @ 508.802.0425 of New Limits in Charlotte. Tell him commuta_busa sent cha'

He can raise your rev limits in EVERY gear.
He can defeat the 6th gear speed limiter.
He can change ignition and fuel maps specifically for your engine needs.
He can set your limiter(s) to be either softcut or hardcut based on injector or ignition....depending on YOUR needs.
He can set your rev limiter where YOUR application requires. Previously you could only raise to one fixed limit.

Why the need for different limiter types/settings?
rock.gif

A naturally aspirated engine can utilize an injector soft limiter without risking damage for MOST applications....

A NOS engine which hits a soft injector limiter will cut out two injectors first...LEANING OUT THOSE TWO CYLINDERS!! Usually causing damage as a result....

A turbo engine can also be damaged by an injector softcut....Turbo bikes with SECONDARY CONTROLLERS are also at high risk of damage. This is because under higher boost levels the engine can "drive" thru the stock limiter, and continue on being fueled by the secondary injectors...thus leaning out substantially and causing damage....We can help you set yours up so BOTH sets of injectors cut out at the same RPM!!!

Being able to reflash the software allows him to tailor the engine management to your application!!

talk to DaveO @ 508.802.0425 of New Limits in Charlotte. Tell him commuta_busa sent cha'

He can raise your rev limits in EVERY gear.
He can defeat the 6th gear speed limiter.
He can change ignition and fuel maps specifically for your engine needs.
He can set your limiter(s) to be either softcut or hardcut based on injector or ignition....depending on YOUR needs.
He can set your rev limiter where YOUR application requires. Previously you could only raise to one fixed limit.

Why the need for different limiter types/settings?
rock.gif

A naturally aspirated engine can utilize an injector soft limiter without risking damage for MOST applications....

A NOS engine which hits a soft injector limiter will cut out two injectors first...LEANING OUT THOSE TWO CYLINDERS!! Usually causing damage as a result....

A turbo engine can also be damaged by an injector softcut....Turbo bikes with SECONDARY CONTROLLERS are also at high risk of damage. This is because under higher boost levels the engine can "drive" thru the stock limiter, and continue on being fueled by the secondary injectors...thus leaning out substantially and causing damage....We can help you set yours up so BOTH sets of injectors cut out at the same RPM!!!

Being able to reflash the software allows him to tailor the engine management to your application!!
Ummmm, yeah..... What he said
laugh.gif

You said yourself you haven't done anything to the bike,spend money making power then get upgrades to fit your application

You said yourself you haven't done anything to the bike,spend money making power then get upgrades to fit your application
I would pick up the phone and call ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

figure out where you want to be and then you can find out how to get there...

There is a guy that can mod your ECU to extend your rev limiter, but not by very much, like I said there is a reason why they stop the motor at 10,800.
More than on guy doing this. But Dave Owen is one of the people who has been doing this.

flamethrowingsmiley.gif
PM -->
Ninja Eater @ Jun. 12 2008 said:
1446077[/ATTACH] PM]

More than on guy doing this.  But Dave Owen is one of the people who has been doing this.
There are two methods to do this.

1) changing the operating frequency of the ECU to make it "think"￾ you are running a lower rpm than you really are.

2) Flashing the ECU to actually change the programming of the limiters.

Method two is the preferred method if available.  Right now it only available for the 02-07 Busa ECU. It is so much better that some of the guys are swapping from the 99-01 ECUs and related parts to 02-07 stuff.   Dave Owen used to use method one (as several others) . I'm not sure of anyone else doing method 2 in the US. The man behind the recent developments is Petrik from Finland.  Dave Owen and Petrik have been working together as of late with it.

flamethrowingsmiley.gif

flamethrowingsmiley.gif
PM -->
Ninja Eater @ Jun. 12 2008 said:
1446188[/ATTACH] PM]

More than on guy doing this.  But Dave Owen is one of the people who has been doing this.
There are two methods to do this.

1) changing the operating frequency of the ECU to make it "think"￾ you are running a lower rpm than you really are.

2) Flashing the ECU to actually change the programming of the limiters.

Method two is the preferred method if available.  Right now it only available for the 02-07 Busa ECU. It is so much better that some of the guys are swapping from the 99-01 ECUs and related parts to 02-07 stuff.   Dave Owen used to use method one (as several others) . I'm not sure of anyone else doing method 2 in the US. The man behind the recent developments is Petrik from Finland.  Dave Owen and Petrik have been working together as of late with it.
if your motor is stock their is no reason to extend the rev limiter. because the power strart falling off before the soft rev limiter kicks in at 10,800 rpm. how ever if you do increase the hp and still want to increase the rev limiter, reflashing the stock ecu is best there are many advantages of doing it this way, you can also adjust the fuel and ignition maps. you can also use the vacuum control solenoid out put as a shift light. you can also log the stock sensors on the bike through the stock ecu for tuning, which i have done a few times, i have flashed my ecu a few time making adjustment to fuel and ignition maps as needed. much better response than a power commander. i don't and will not do this for anyone, daveo is working on different map for different application anyone interested should get intouch with him.
thumb_up.gif

flamethrowingsmiley.gif

Yeah, so if it's the speed limiter you're after you need to get a TRE or gear position sensor mod. Either of these along with some basic engine mods like a good exhaust and map in conjunction with a slight gearing change you should be able to get up past 186 mph. You don't need to extend the rev limiter to do that.

Rev limiter is how fast the engine will turn RPM
Speed limiter is how fast the bike will actually go.

Back