Rev limiter

billbell

Jap is where it's at!
Donating Member
Registered
I have an '04 Busa. I thought the rev limiter hit around 10,800 according to other posts??? I was messing around today while taking off. I glanced at my tach and I was heading over 11,500 in first gear and she was still wanting to climb. Could this mean the '04's aren't restricted or am I mistaken on what revs the limiter hits? Just curious.

I've got an 04' as well, and they are limited.

I was fuggin around on the highway, and all of a sudden she lost power. I was like huh, then I looked down and saw that she died when the needle hit the redline. So they are limited, and I'm pretty sure it's at the start of the redline (It's an idiot proof system for people like me).

The rev limited is a safety feature to save the engine in an over rev situation. The speed restriction is achieved by the timing being retarded in 6th gear by the ecu. If you hit 11,500 without hitting a limiter you had better get it to the dealer before you destroy the engine.

ok nub question comming @ ya: we all know the busa has enough power to exceed 200mph, so what other than the rpm limiter is stopping the bike from such speeds? Would it be the gearing?

bump.gif

There are two different things here.

Rev limiter - any gear, keeps from over reving engine.

Speed Restrictor - In 6th gear, the computer restricts the bike at 10,200rpm.

There are two different things here.  

Rev limiter  -   any gear, keeps from over reving engine.

Speed Restrictor  -  In 6th gear, the computer restricts the bike at 10,200rpm.
Yeah I already got the RPM limiter, but really, would taking off the speed limiter and allowing you those e xtrea 800 rpms til u get the 11k redline mean the diff btwn 186 and 200mph? Im trying to figure out at what point the busa simply runs out of gear.

Just one question for you guys...
May a dirty fuel pump lower the rev limiter in some gear?
For example...Its happened to me that in 3rd gear I hit the rev limiter at 7800rpm...

ok nub question comming @ ya: we all know the busa has enough power to exceed 200mph, so what other than the rpm limiter is stopping the bike from such speeds? Would it be the gearing?

No it does not have enough power to exceed 200mph stock bike wont do it. It takes a little more to get 200mph keep reading threads you will find out what to da to make it there.

I though Bill's was stock when he ran 272...just had a good tail wind~!~ :laugh:

actual rpm and what your tach tells you are 2 completely different things.

10800 rpm actual is about 11400-11500 on the tach.

Someone here "told me" an unrestricted Busa like my early 2000, would top out @ 194. I dont know, and likely will never know if thats true...just sayin.

I dont believe a stock busa will make the 200 mph mark, they are really fast but man if you think about it those speed o's are off pretty good so maybe yes in real time no bring a gps with you

So here's a question:
I just installed a GSXR 750 gauge on my '03 (long story!). Everything works (except for the fuel LED being reversed) but I wonder about the tach. The GSXR's redline is higher but I have not wanted to test the bike to the redline without being sure it was limited by the ECU. Any thoughts on the limiter and on the reading on the GSXR gauges ? :bowdown:

I do feel better now that it looks like the reading is wrong even on the OEM unit :laugh:
gsxrcluster.jpg

Back