Rev Limiter

xyu

Registered
I have read on this forum and a lot of other places that the stock rev limiter cuts out at 10,500 RPMs. I was out today and since my bike is broke in I was razzing the hell out of it on the highway and I noticed mine goes a little past 11,500 RPMs then it hits the limiter. I tried it a few times in first and second gear and it does the same thing. Is it really supposed to cut out at 10,500?

Mine is a 2005 busa and its bone stock. I don't know if it matters is it's a Canadian model or not, but there are a few differences between the Canadian models and the US and Europeen models like the chain adjustment and slight weight differences.

Just curious.

The rev limiter will allow 11,500 in every gear but 6th. In 6th the rev limiter will stop it at 10,500 to keep the bike from exceeding the 186MPH (300KPH) mark.

Aha that makes sense. I have had it almost to 10,500 in sixth a couple of times but I let off so I could check my underwear
smile.gif

Was recommended to me by a reliable builder to stay off the limiter with the Busa. Something about it causes mushrooming of valve stem tips. Doesn't sound unreasonable.

...and here I was thinking the Rev Limiter was Mrs. Revlis!
tounge.gif

Id like to know if the limiter is in effect for Neutral. Today I was on it hard and I did not upshift hard enough and I did not get into second...I revved it hard just for a second, I did not hear a limiter but I may not have been past 11,500 either. It happened pretty quickly...though I suppose even if there is not a limiter in neutral that a very occational ramp to 13K for just a split second would not hurt anything. :

Back