Red1100cc's Epic Trip Through New Mexico- travel log w/pics

i'll tell the tail of burgers n beer later.
oh, and i left my phone in cheyenne.

:whistle: i wish some else was with me. :poke: and maybe took some pics. :whistle:

:cheerleader: Gpmo :beerchug:

Thanks to your pictures and excellent documentation, we got to experience a little bit of your trip. And that was some trip.:thumbsup:

congrats on having a great trip first and for making it home in one piece...if you're like me, you'll take a couple days to recover and then drag the maps back out to start planning the next one :beerchug:

So my buddy and i rode to Denver to meet up with Russ and ride him through to Wyoming along with getting some Coffee, Beer, and Burgers. I'll let Russ do the log part but the weather was rather damp and cold and it was a great time. My photos didn't come out that well but here are a few to hold people over until he gets his camera back.

Village Inn

web.jpg

Note the great face my buddy is making.. I think this is due to Busa exposure.

Outside Choice City Butcher and Deli in downtown Fort Collins

web.jpg

Another but photo came out blurry but hey theres bikes.
web.jpg

Another
web.jpg

Russ finally home and very happy.
web.jpg

web.jpg

web.jpg

Ride safe brother.
web.jpg

web.jpg

Thanks for the ride and keep in touch. If anyone has a chance to meet up with this man do so. He does a lot for our community and has some great stories.

Well, that's me in the first pic, rather you all went ahead and ignored the horrible expression, but what can I say? I've been bitten by the Busa Bug... Currently shopping around for one, but the market out here in CO isn't exactly well stocked with good deals on them. That being said, I have a couple prospects going, and am hoping/planning on having my own within a week or so. I was going to wait until I had one to get an account created on here and start posting, but I guess I've already been outed, so here I am... :)

I'll get a real intro post done with bike pics as soon as I have one...

Well, that's me in the first pic, rather you all went ahead and ignored the horrible expression, but what can I say? I've been bitten by the Busa Bug... Currently shopping around for one, but the market out here in CO isn't exactly well stocked with good deals on them. That being said, I have a couple prospects going, and am hoping/planning on having my own within a week or so. I was going to wait until I had one to get an account created on here and start posting, but I guess I've already been outed, so here I am... :)

I'll get a real intro post done with bike pics as soon as I have one...

Welcome! I thought you were eyeing that awesome, bulging tail bag...:thumbsup:

:thumbsup: thank you for the pics. i can't beleve i left my phone in Cheyenne :banghead:

well i don't have any pics, won't until my phone shows up in the mail, but i do have a good story.
a story of trials and tribulations, hopes and letdowns, determination and perseverance, new friends and new places, and the glory and felt after a hard sought after goal is reached.

when last we left our great adventuring hero, i had laid down for a good nights rest.
well i began to wake up Early Early, i was freezing! the heater didn't kick on last night. the heat didn't work. so i hop in the shower. no hot water! i had a luke warm shower that did nothing more than make me colder.
oh well, it's sunny out. i go out to greet the day about 9:30am and there is a freakin sprinkler showering down one side of my bike.:spank:
so i move the sprinkler, and go inside and grab a towel, and wipe off the bike.
spend a little time gathering my thoughts, finding some ommm/zen (what ever, i stared at the TV for an hour bein pissed off! ).
finally calmed down and against the will of the devil on my shoulder telling me to go complain and ***** and moan, just loaded up the bike and hit the road.

the road felt good. the sun was shining. although i knew it would not last long, i enjoyed the sun.

i was right, it didn't last long. Around Pueblo the sky darkened, and the rain began. it sprinkled all the way to Denver when it began to really downpour.
Awesome! stop and go pain in the but traffic in the rain ::9

the burn from Pueblo was cold and miserable. i stopped and put everything i had in the duffle, on me. i was just a little damp inside my little bubble of clothing. not too bad. just a little damp.

i finally make it to 84th ave north. and i see a beacon of light. it's a Village Inn. and there are two bikes parked out front. :whistle:
Gpmo & Deal (Paul & Dustin) :cheerleader:
they had ridden down to meet me. they ushered me into the Village Inn and dumped warm coffee til the waitress decided we didn't need any more and took our craffe and disappeared, never to be seen again. ???
we zipped up north to an awesome burger joint, Choice City Deli. great burger! great beer! GREAT NEW FRIENDS!

The world seemed a little warmer as we rode through the rain to the Wyoming border.
i always get excited when i hit the border. it means i will sleep in my own bed tonight. no matter what border i hit in Wyoming, i know i can make it home that day.

i left my new friends behind and hammered it hard into Cheyenne. i stopped at my friend Wendy & Mike's and warmed up a little. left my phone on thier coffee table and headed north.
the light was failing as i headed out of Cheyenne. as the sun went down, so did the temp. i missed the pull off for Chugwater. just tunnelvishoned it and zip there it went. oh well.
i stopped at the Commodore in Wheatland for some warm water and down the road i went.
at this point i figgered it wasn't going to get any colder. it was already 11:30 by the time i hit Douglas. so i stopped at the College inn bar for a shot of hot damn and some more warm water.
a little warmed i headed home.
the last 50mi is easy. freakin freezing!! but easy. i know every landmark and hill, all the way home.

i make it home about 12:30. my house is empty. dog in the front yard freaking out.
i let my puppy off and head inside.

the pile of clothing i was wearing was impressive. i turned up the heat. messaged the wife and warmed up.

i had an awesome adventure of a trip. i made it home in one piece and in time for my meeting (that went really well by the way!).

thank you to all that helped make it happen, all that watched my travels, and those that i have met along the way. :thumbsup:

i know i may have left a few things out. i will try and fill in the gaps when my head gets straight again, and my toes thaw out :laugh:

oh and if anyone is interested in a free tail bag, i know a fella that will hook you up! just sign on the dotted line.:thumbsup:

hi-i-am-gunny-seargent-hartman-demotivational-poster-1249993503.jpg

i never did tell yall mileage.

the last day i did 512.3mi in the freezin rain, at 43.2 mpg

trip total = 2368.6 miles at 41.8 mpg.

not a bad way to start the year :thumbsup:
Bessie now has 15772miles on her.
my phone should be here in a couple days. :whistle::laugh:

Thank you Russ for sharing your adventure! Glad you made it home safely. I have always wanted to travel from coast to coast...you have kept that dream alive for me...one day :-) thanks again for the Awesome Adventure!!
Posted via Mobile Device

Is the phone back to you yet? I know that its not that long from Cheyenne to Casper and i'm fairly sure the pony express could have gotten it there on time.. USPS should be able to better than that right?:whistle:

Looking forward to seeing the rest of those pics. :thumbsup:

:cheerleader: i got my phone back!:cheerleader:

how about a few more picks yall!?!

i woke up and greeted the day, and the sprinkler. got the bike loaded up and headed out to get some gas. as i gassed up the sun was shining, puffy little clouds in the sky.
i put my coveralls on any way. i knew what i was riding into. :whistle: can't fool me, i watch the weather channel.

that was the last i have seen of the sun. i rode into rain wet and cold. i stopped and put on an extra long sleve t-shirt and my gortex gloves.
next stop, Castle rock. zipped in to the 7-11(the wet cold gloomy 7-11) and slammed some coffie, filled the girl with petrol and down the road we went.

next stop, 84ave north. onward to the Village Inn!
where i met ORG Members! Gpmo and Deal :beerchug:
we slammed some more warm up juice and hit the road. maybe "hit the road" isn't the best discription. we slowly worked our way through heavy traffic in a downpour to on heck of a burger joint. i can still taste the grilled onions. :thumbsup: good dark beer too. i didn't leave a scrap or drop of either.
it is really neat to meat other people from the ORG. i need to teach them how to park:whistle: they had it figured out by the time we got to the Wyoming border:laugh:

i look forward to seeing yall again my friends :beerchug:

by this point i had given up all hope of getting home before dark.
over to wendy's to warm up. left my phone there.
did i mention it snowed on me from Chugwater to just past Wheatland?! well it did!
i just hid in my bubble of warmishness til i got home.
got home 12:30ish, cold and tired.

im still not warm, and it is still raining. my road is slop of mud. it is not expected to stop for a week.

i've been lazy and resting sense i got home. :poke:i guess its time to get up and do/clean something.

thank you all for sharing in my adventure.

i now open the thread up to questions.:learn:

0514111105.jpg

0514111105a.jpg

0514111105b.jpg

0514111213c.jpg

0514111213.jpg

0514111213a.jpg

0514111213b.jpg

0514111424.jpg

0514111424a.jpg

0514111424b.jpg

0514111424d.jpg

0514111424c.jpg

0514111637.jpg

0514111816a.jpg

0514111816.jpg

0514111829.jpg

0514111842.jpg

0514111934.jpg

0514111935.jpg

0519112027.jpg

Glad ya got your phone back. Where is that burger jiont. I might have to stop there on my way from your place to Colorado.

with these bikes a target for thieves as they are. Have you ever gotten any slack from hotels when putting it inside the hotel room? (assuming it will fit in the first place)

Glad ya got your phone back. Where is that burger jiont. I might have to stop there on my way from your place to Colorado.

That burger joint is right in downtown fort Collins where I live. I would be happy to take you and buy you a burger it's the least I can do. :).

with these bikes a target for thieves as they are. Have you ever gotten any slack from hotels when putting it inside the hotel room? (assuming it will fit in the first place)

nope, the only problem I've had is that they think i have already left and don't give me a wake up call. i do keep a pretty clean bike, so i don't leave any stains on the floor. i do use warm towels to clean her every night. i have left a trail of stained towels in my wake.
:whistle: i did leave a round indention in a days inn wall, in Louisiana. bumped it with a muffler while turning the bike around on it's kickstand. they never mentioned it.
i love the look on the maid's face when they knock. i say "be out in a minute." then open the door, and drive out and away.:rofl:

i stay in some pretty crummy motels too. $25-$40 doesn't buy much of a room anymore.

hmmm, ok. So the very inexpensive hotels don't seem to hassel you regarding the busa in the room. cool.
I've been on a few trips with my 09 Nomad. But I'm guessing I'd be slightly nervous trying to sleep with the Busa in a parking lot. I guess i'm just a chicken. lol

Back