Rectifier/Regulator relocate project...how to

I thought the gen1 rectifier mount was just 2 threaded studs spotwelded to the subframe.
The gen2 is a small plate that bolts to subframe.
Gen1 has been too long ago for me to remember

Blanca mentioned unfastening the clamps (2) that secure the regulator/rectifier wire to the bracket but he didn't say how they open. The bigger ones are probably those rings with the beak that you need to slide one half ahead of the other to remove from the hole. The front fender has brake line retainers like that.

I have never seen these smaller retainers (circled in red in the diagram) and I have no idea how they release so the reg/rec wire can be separated from the bracket. Any clues?

Screen Shot 2020-12-28 at 6.43.38 PM.png

Man, I know enough people relocated their rectifier. You'd think someone would have a clue about this. I know, you all cut them, didn't you! :laugh: That's ok, I cut the wires on my ZX-14 to remove the horn because I didn't know it had a spade connector. Didn't get any answers on that one either.

Oh well, off to the -9° C gee-raj to figure this one out before the sun goes down. I'll let you all know what I figure out so you won't need to cut your wire retainers. :mad::laugh:

Thank you @ottafish . I think I know what you mean by "christmas tree type", that kind of retainer that has discs which get progressively larger as you push them through the hole they mount to. Yeah, even those are reusable if you pull them carefully but even better if they are equipped with a ring hat has a release on it so you can take the wire out.

I tried prying between the metal tube and the underside of the retainer but I think all it did was stretch the plug that goes in the hole. Still works fine but I will try prying between the tabs as shown in this picture if I decide I really need to take the rectifier off. Maybe the retainers would be salvageable? Suzuki does not sell this part. You probably get a couple new ones when you buy a new rectifier. I will check an auto supply for some kind of retainers that could fit.
P1220099.jpg

I'm still not set on whether or not to relocate the rectifier. I just needed to remove it and the bracket to access the dog bone bolts but thought maybe I'd relocate the reg/rec while I'm at it.

Thanks for your input.

Blanca mentioned unfastening the clamps (2) that secure the regulator/rectifier wire to the bracket but he didn't say how they open.
Well now that I look back, Blanca talked about removing the larger rings but he didn't mention a thing about cutting the small retainers on the bracket itself. I bet that's what he did though. So it's not a 100% reversible mod...unless you buy a new rectifier and it comes with the retainers we're taking about. I'd probably get a Mosfet rectifier if I did replace and/or relocate it.

There's also heaps on ebay too although not the Xmas type.
I just spent the last few hours looking at cable mounts. I don't think it matters much if you get ones with the arrow head pointer, the christmas tree rings or the barbs. It looks like a pretty small hole so barbs might be easiest to use without needing to do any reduction with sandpaper. I'll bet that hole is about 1/8" and every cable mount I looked at was designed for a 1/4" hole or slightly smaller. No biggy, sand it down if it won't go in. If it doesn't have a release, cut it off when necessary. The pin will fall out of the end of the tube if you take the bracket off.

Blancabusaless hasn't been here in a while, but yes, the pegs are powdercoated black.
Some of the later model gen2 passenger pegs were factory black.
I also band-sawed and filed the hooks off of my gen2 passenger pegs before powdercoat, and you couldn't tell they were ever there.

Blancabusaless hasn't been here in a while, but yes, the pegs are powdercoated black.
Some of the later model gen2 passenger pegs were factory black.
I also band-sawed and filed the hooks off of my gen2 passenger pegs before powdercoat, and you couldn't tell they were ever there.
I sprayed with truck bed liner and baked them in the oven for a couple hours...that was a few years ago and they look just like the day I did them

Blanca mentioned unfastening the clamps (2) that secure the regulator/rectifier wire to the bracket but he didn't say how they open.

I don't know how I didn't notice this one year ago but you can see in Blanca's pics on p1, he has cut the the plastic wire retainers on the rectifier bracket. Believe it or not, I just got back onto this project. Tomorrow, I'll be snipping those retainers.

So I cut those suckers off today. I pried the anchor up a bit which probably stretched it. Then I cut each with a side cutters so the strap of the anchor might be reattached somehow (like maybe with a sheet metal screw).

It may be possible to extract the retainers and reuse them. I have done it with other two barb retainers. If you pry the anchor up out of the hole, there probably is a small tab at the top of each barb. If you squeeze the tabs together with a needle nose, you may be able to pull it out of the hole. However, after I cut the anchors of my OEM rectifier wire clamps and emptied them out of the open end of the tube, I discovered that both had been broken into pieces, probably from prying them up. I have some after market zip ties with two barn anchors on order.

Cool thread bros
Man I miss moddin my bus…

I wish I could find her again and see what condition she’s in. I spent a lot of time on the little things to make it mine.

Dude I know exactly how you feel. I miss my ZX-14 in the same way. That bike was crashed and sits in a heap leaking coolant. I spent as much on aftermarket parts as the bike cost me brand new. Countless hours of meticulous work too. AFR tuned by me and even some custom painting too. It was MY 14. Nobody has one like it. I'm really happy to be back to wrenching though, That crash I took really messed with my head. I haven't touched a bike in two years.

Thanks for this great tutorial Blanca. It's been helpful to me and will be in the future. I don't think I'm going to get to the rectifier this time but sometime soon. I have to get this done, gather up my junk and move the heck out of here.

Back