Rectifier quest...with a Twist

BusaBill03

Registered
Rode in rain 10-15mins Sat nite on my '03. Started bog/surge close to home so I fig some rain got sucked in similar to last month when I think rain got in overflow hole of not tight enough' cap of empty tank on parked Busa). so again I went for ride few hrs later to fill up & ride it out. However, this time I only got 2 miles & shut down while riding full tender charged newer batt. No lights, fuel pump click etc on restart. No reg fuses blew but 30A Main did.
I check for a frayed wire that when when wet. Found 1 under ignition & taped it but 30A blew again soon as I touched neg cable to batt. I.went looking again & found a burnt 6 female plug under dash in the middle. I couldnt see/feel exactly where the burnt end led. Nor the unfried 2 prong male side. But both are thick red braided like hibeam wire so prob part of HID.
I taped off both ends AND yanked both lights fuses but another 30A blew when I touched neg to batt.
Then mI unplugged the rectifier and bike started right up & I hauled ass home w/o head lights (forgot fuse reinstall).
Quest 1: Is rectifier (not stator) now bad? i.e.. the fried headlight plug surge also fried rectifier diodes?
. .Quest 2:.Anybody familiar w/ HID who can tell me if those cables are replaceable? Or maybe just new plug ends?
I'm taking pics soon to add within an hour. Thanks in advance. You guys rock the forum world like Busas rock the bike world: #1.

Female fried. Male fine. Obviously quite loose when it cooked. I'll.get under there in a cpl hrs. No local Busa bros have spare handy (at least not close enough). Ordering rectifier now. Hope to get insight.

20220419_140337.jpg

20220419_140153.jpg

Here's the exposed ignition wires I found 1st. Glad I did. Ziptied to close to a bend. Stretch, rub, expose... I'll take finding it like this on a Monday.vs near future pop & tow, prob at worst poss day &. distance.time part.

HID lights provide much brighter light than stock, but there have been cases of electrical problems as a result. Had HIDs on both of my 03s, but after a while got tired of the crowding under the dash and pulled them out. Changed over to LEDs and been quite satisfied.

Back