Reassembling chromed wheels...

Lyrikz

Registered
Ok, im a little lost/pissed/perturbed at the moment so forgive me... I spent 600 bucks to have my rims chromed and all that good stuff. I was worried about when they put the tires on scratching up the chrome. Well, they did that part fine.. But i get a call from the dealer and they cant put the damn rotors on the bike because the chrome is to thick... They cant just force it on because the rotor wont sit flush.. and it will peel back the chrome.. they dont want to grind it because that would #### up the chrome also.. What the heck do you do in a situation like this?? im lost and pissed off...Any help guys?? i just want my bike done.

Where did you get the chrome done at?? You might have to grind the mounting surface. I am getting mine back in like a week and a half.

The chromers are supposed to plug any areas that can't have the tolerances changed due to the chrome thickness that's added. It aint much but enough on certain things to make a difference. I would say on something that large and important that it needs to go back to the chromers and be done correctly. They should also pay any additional fee's the dealer charges you. IMO
sad.gif

Ok, im a little lost/pissed/perturbed at the moment so forgive me... I spent 600 bucks to have my rims chromed and all that good stuff.  I was worried about when they put the tires on scratching up the chrome.  Well, they did that part fine.. But i get a call from the dealer and they cant put the damn rotors on the bike because the chrome is to thick...  They cant just force it on because the rotor wont sit flush.. and it will peel back the chrome.. they dont want to grind it because that would #### up the chrome also.. What the heck do you do in a situation like this?? im lost and pissed off...Any help guys?? i just want my bike done.
Calm down Lyrikz. If you have an issue...here's a tissue (I've always wanted to use that line from Austin Powers' Goldmember). Just take you some sandpaper and work off some of the chrome on the rotor. If you've got a steady hand, then use the sanding wheel on a Dremel at low speed just to knock off some of the chrome. Trust me, you won't damage it. Just do a little at a time until the rotor fits. BTW, I'm assuming your bearings went back in O.K.
rock.gif
If not, the sandpaper does the trick. I'm speaking from experience. Been there and done that.

Brian

Where did you get the chrome done at??  You might have to grind the mounting surface.  I am getting mine back in like a week and a half.
I got them chromed at the same place you are using. Sportchrome. There is little pits in the chrome everywhere, you cant really tell unless you are about 4 inches away so i didnt really bother.. they do plug up most of the holes.. but some slag does get in there.. they had to clean the races out for that... i just hope everything goes back together and i dont regret chroming them..

The dealer was worried that there would be a bunch of chrome in the threads but they plugged those pretty good... Im waiting for 10am when the parts manager gets in so i can find out if they are done and go pick them up..

No I am not using sportchrome. I am using another place in socal www.classiccomponents.com Sportchrome was more expensive and I heard that there customer service was lacking. Plus I have seen classic components work. My friend has a gix 1k and had his rims/swingarm/pegs done and it looks awesome.

Back