rear tire plate mount for the busa, do you know where they sell them?

so i live on the border of TN and KY at ft campbell... i just got pulled over by a TN state trooper and he says i cant have my plate vertical, though its legal in KY and i ride both sides. its located on the rear axle on my right. it made my tail look so smooth so its gonna be really hard to part with. but i seen some pics of people with plate holders that actually wrap around the back tire horizontally. here are a few pics of what i'm talking about if anyone knows where i can get one for the busa...also if you dont know what im talking about does anyone know the diameter i would need to fit a customize an alternative?

http://blog.motorcycle.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/07/070711-2011-ducati-diavel-500x374.jpg

http://images.24mx.se/products/medium/141843-Rizoma_nummerplatshallare_swingarm_logo.jpg

http://www.indomotorcycle.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/08/rizoma_ducati_diavel_03-1024x744.jpg

http://www.motoraid.eu/shop/images/riz-pt211a_license_plate_holder_motoraid_eu_1.jpg

I got pulled over once too, he said I had to get my plate out of my pocket. :rofl:

Welcome NBL2011 ... Right here in Clarksville myself. You must have met one while he was spotting or something, cause most of my bikes have them mounted vertical and (knock on wood) I have never had a problem. Yours sounds the same as mine as here are mine on the busa's. Even ride with a couple guys that have them tucked so far up in behind the tire you literally have to look for them to find them and they say they never have any problems either. So maybe it was the stand-up down 41A or rolling trip digits down the 101st is why he really stopped you and then started picking. :laugh:

Personally, I'd say leave it and keeping riding it. And if for some reason you happen to run into the same one again and he happens to remember you just tell him you ordered another bracket and it should be here anytime and that's your only transportation at the moment and you have no other choice. :whistle: Sounds good to me at least, I'd let you go. :laugh:

DSCN8304.jpg

DSCN8725.jpg

I'd look up the code . I don't believe that is the law . All I do know for sure is you have to have lights on it at night . Heres mine , I got it years ago and you may be able to find something like it or I'm sure you can make it . You can also buy led light bolts for the plate so you have light on it . As you can see its just a peice of aluminum pretty basic.

ert.jpg

007.jpg

and Welcome to the baord . My Daughter and son in law are stationed at Ft Campbell .

where is your bike regeistered?
TN Law
b) Every registration plate shall at all times be securely fastened in a horizontal position to the vehicle for which it is issued so to prevent the plate from swinging and at a height of not less than twelve inches (12") from the ground, measuring from the bottom of such plate, in a place and position to be clearly visible and shall be maintained free from foreign materials and in a condition to be clearly legible. No tinted materials may be placed over a license plate even if the information upon such license plate is not concealed.

I think KY just says it has to be illuminted and on the rear....couldnt find anything on position.

If I remember correctly the TN state law for motorcycle liscense plate mounting states... Must be a min of 12" off the ground and has to be mounted horizantally. I looked into this when I removed my dump truck mud flap off of my 09. I mounted mine up on the inner fender in front of the rear tire. Some may its hard to see, but it meets the TN state requirements.

TN State law...

55-4-110. Display of registration plates - Manner - Penalty for violation. -

(b)

Every registration plate shall at all times be securely fastened in a horizontal position to the vehicle for which it is issued so to prevent the plate from swinging and at a height of not less than twelve inches (12²) from the ground, measuring from the bottom of the plate, in a place and position to be clearly visible and shall be maintained free from foreign materials and in a condition to be clearly legible. No tinted materials may be placed over a license plate even if the information upon the license plate is not concealed.

Read more: Are side mounted vertical license plates legal on motorcycles in Tennessee

If I remember correctly the TN state law for motorcycle liscense plate mounting states... Must be a min of 12" off the ground and has to be mounted horizantally. I looked into this when I removed my dump truck mud flap off of my 09. I mounted mine up on the inner fender in front of the rear tire. Some may its hard to see, but it meets the TN state requirements.

TN State law...

55-4-110. Display of registration plates - Manner - Penalty for violation. -

(b)

Every registration plate shall at all times be securely fastened in a horizontal position to the vehicle for which it is issued so to prevent the plate from swinging and at a height of not less than twelve inches (12²) from the ground, measuring from the bottom of the plate, in a place and position to be clearly visible and shall be maintained free from foreign materials and in a condition to be clearly legible. No tinted materials may be placed over a license plate even if the information upon the license plate is not concealed.

Read more: Are side mounted vertical license plates legal on motorcycles in Tennessee
unfortunately this part of the statute........ "in a place and position to be clearly visible and shall be maintained free from foreign materials" makes mounting the plate up under the inner fender in front of the rear tire illegal. one, its not clearly visible and two, its in a place that is likely to be covered with rubber and debris from the road obstructing its view from the rear.

horizontal position is just one of the many requirements for a mounting location for ones plate. plus there is no light back there to illuminate at night.
ur not even remotely close to meeting Tenn requirememts for that statute.

unfortunately this part of the statute........ "in a place and position to be clearly visible and shall be maintained free from foreign materials" makes mounting the plate up under the inner fender in front of the rear tire illegal. one, its not clearly visible and two, its in a place that is likely to be covered with rubber and debris from the road obstructing its view from the rear.

horizontal position is just one of the many requirements for a mounting location for ones plate. plus there is no light back there to illuminate at night.
ur not even remotely close to meeting Tenn requirememts for that statute.

v30cw5.jpg

Visible??? hmmm yeah at certain angles and if you can get that close. LOL:thumbsup:
When placing your info on your motorcycle make a decision of a ticket for improperly mounted license plate minor slap on the wrist, or going to jail, possibly losing your motorcycle, fines, court time.
Also for you TN residents. notice that bar code on your plate... read into it what its all about.

SC changed the law a year or two ago to allow vertical mounts. IMHO if the vehicle is registered in Kentucky and meets Kentucky law I wouldn't ticket.

Back