Rear shock

SANDFLEA85

Registered
just extended to 6 over,at 290lbs im thinking I should probably do something with the rear shock,but what? any suggestions

Contact Mike at Traxxion Dynamics in Atlanta. He can give up a run down on what is available. I am using a stock re-valve/re-sprung unit on the Busa and a Penske double on the R1.

I just called over to the shop since the bike is still there,since im not real familiar with suspension setups,they suggested since im not running around a track or strip that they will tighten it all the way down and see if im happy with that,if not they will install a heavier spring,said there was no real reason for me to spend 1k on a ohlin or brocks racing shock since i dont race but they would be more then happy to put it on if i wanted to spend the money..haha.im sure they would.

as for the air ride,they told me its great for show but terrible for performance,dont reccomend it but again,would be more then happy to install if i wanted to pay for it,so when i get it back after the tail section is done being painted i will decide then according to how she handles

You need a heavier spring for two reasons.

1) you are twice the weight the bike was set up for.
2) the longer swing arm adds leverage making the spring and dampening less effective.

Then once you get the heavier spring, the shock will need to be revalved. For starters there is not enough rebound adjustment. It will be full in and not be enough. Having it serviced and changing to a heavier shock oil might get you in the ballpark.

Adding preload will alter the ride height but not change the spring rate.

You need a heavier spring for two reasons.

1) you are twice the weight the bike was set up for.
2) the longer swing arm adds leverage making the spring and dampening less effective.

Then once you get the heavier spring, the shock will need to be revalved. For starters there is not enough rebound adjustment. It will be full in and not be enough. Having it serviced and changing to a heavier shock oil might get you in the ballpark.

Adding preload will alter the ride height but not change the spring rate.
Im not gonna pretend I know what your taliking about exactly but wouldnt pre loading it eliminate excess bounce,i guess give it sort of a firmer/harder ride also,but what im really trying to avoid is any excess bounce. If someone can sell me on upgrdeing the shock for 1k,im all ears,the money isnt the issue really,just dont know if its nesacerry for the type of rideing I do.

i just did pretty much the same thing you did but dont weigh quite that much about 220 and i kept bottoming out, i ordered a 1000 pound spring from goldenchild and am going to go that route for now, it was only 125.

i just did pretty much the same thing you did but dont weigh quite that much about 220 and i kept bottoming out, i ordered a 1000 pound spring from goldenchild and am going to go that route for now, it was only 125.
Spring guy was out sick,he called today and said I should have 3 in stock next week,Thanks for order...

Hey DEVLDOG,

I am 300#, but running on stock swingarm length. I screwed the spring down 2 full turns and that beeotch is firm as hell !!! In fact my back has been sore for the first time ever riding a sport bike (8 Years).. I noticed a great improvement in sticking in the corners and she stays in the ground a whole lot better on acceleration, but I don't know if that would help you due to the swingarm extension.. It's worth a try before spending stacks of cash on something you may not need...
dunno.gif
The good thing is.... If you need to upgrade, we got great sponsors and resources right here on the board...
cool.gif
beerchug.gif

Hey DEVLDOG,

I am 300#, but running on stock swingarm length. I screwed the spring down 2 full turns and that beeotch is firm as hell !!!   In fact my back has been sore for the first time ever riding a sport bike (8 Years).. I noticed a great improvement in sticking in the corners and she stays in the ground a whole lot better on acceleration, but I don't know if that would help you due to the swingarm extension.. It's worth a try before spending stacks of cash on something you may not need...
dunno.gif
  The good thing is.... If you need to upgrade, we got great sponsors and resources right here on the board...
cool.gif

beerchug.gif
Good info bro,thanks

I guess the real question is what kind of riding do you do? if it's just blvd cruising then you can just add preload and be done with it.

Alot of the suggestions are really for someone trying to get the correct street suspension setup for the combination you described.

Buy yourself a new shock! By extending the swingarm you put lots more leverage on the shock. The stock shock is not the best to start with. If your suspension boys are going to tighten the spring all the way down and send you out the door, I'd stay away from those guys!

If I were you, I'd contact Racetech or GP Suspension and have a chat with those guys as to what will work best for your particular application. When it comes to suspension, don't mess with a bunch of trainees. Go to the boys who build that stuff!

Contact Mike at Traxxion Dynamics in Atlanta. He can give up a run down on what is available. I am using a stock re-valve/re-sprung unit on the Busa and a Penske double on the R1.
I got in touch with Dan Anderson,I am sending him a brand new rear shock tomorrow to rebuild/ revalve and new heavier spring for my weight and to compansate for the 6over...$350 for services(had to get the chrome spring...its a disease..haha) and $65 for a brand new 08 shock...much cheaper then a race shock and will serve the same purpose....thanks for everyones help...will post pics as soon as I get the bike back...

You'll be wanting to send the forks in after getting the shock worked!
smile.gif
Trust me!

You'll be wanting to send the forks in after getting the shock worked!
smile.gif
Trust me!
Great!! anyone wanna donate?
rock.gif

I bought this bike for $8500 17months ago,since then I have put atleast another $8500,everytime I think im done,theres always something else.will it ever end??? thats what my wife keeps asking..haha

I got in touch with Dan Anderson,I am sending him a brand new rear shock tomorrow to rebuild/ revalve and new heavier spring for my weight and to compansate for the 6over...$350 for services(had to get the chrome spring...its a disease..haha) and $65 for a brand new 08 shock...much cheaper then a race shock and will serve the same purpose....thanks for everyones help...will post pics as soon as I get the bike back...
You cant go wrong with any of the suspension guru's. I just use Traxxion because they have done such great work on 2 of my machines.

You WILL be more than impressed with the difference.

You cant go wrong with any of the suspension guru's. I just use Traxxion because they have done such great work on 2 of my machines.

You WILL be more than impressed with the difference.
Thanks for the hookup bro,Im sure if your happy with their work then its 1st class.

Back