Rear flat on the way to work/ Had to go with Dunlop Q2

bigjack7679

Registered
So on the way to work this morning, I noticed all of sudden the bike was handling funny. I tried to change lanes and what do you know. Feels like the rear was flat. I pulled over and sure enough, I had a flat. I'm on the 121 north toll way in Dallas and traffic is thick. Boy...my luck.

So I proceeded to a gas station to air it up and see where the hole was at. There was a nail like hole in one of the thread patterns. Luckily, there was a dealer 3 miles away.

They inspected the tire and tried to patch it. They claim the patch would not work so I had to buy a rear tire. The pilot road 3s had at least another 6k miles left in it. I really love the PR3s.

They didn't have any sport touring tires like the Pilot Road 3s so I ended up going with a Dunlop Q2. :banghead:I know they are good tires but I mostly commute and ride fast at times. No twisties here. How many miles can I expect to get out of the Q2s?

Oh yeah

Tire $140
Labor $75(Gotta be F-ing kidding me. If i had a truck, I would have pulled it home):banghead:

You got off easy. 7 years ago my dealer charged a hundred a tire if you rode in. Carry in was fitty :laugh:

$140 for the tire is a great deal!! but not on the tire change

You should probably be able to get 4k-ish out of the Q2 depending on your riding and tire pressure

Get a patch kit on the bike. One of those things you never think you'll need. Till you do.

I've patched more tires than I can count with the touring co. 10 min and we're back on the road.

Buy Now: Stop & Go Tire Repair Kits Motorcycle Flat Tire, ATV & Dirt Plugger Kits | Pashnit Moto

Quick tutorial on yours truly patching a tire:

How to Fix a Flat Motorcycle Tire | Pashnit Moto

8718267169_06703951f1_c.jpg

Img_1638_nail.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
feel your pain had a flat coming home from work last Friday on rear had 6,000 miles on that tire needed changed anyway:laugh:

Get a patch kit on the bike. One of those things you never think you'll need. Till you do.

I've patched more tires than I can count with the touring co. 10 min and we're back on the road.

Buy Now: Stop & Go Tire Repair Kits Motorcycle Flat Tire, ATV & Dirt Plugger Kits | Pashnit Moto

Quick tutorial on yours truly patching a tire:

How to Fix a Flat Motorcycle Tire | Pashnit Moto

8718267169_06703951f1_c.jpg

Img_1638_nail.jpg

honest god truth, I thought about a similar post where you suggested this while i was on the side of the road. hindsight 20 20

Last edited by a moderator:
honest god truth, I thought about a similar post where you suggested this while i was on the side of the road. hindsight 20 20
I bought one of these from tim(pashnit) and had to use it once on the bike and also the car. Just like he said........ "10 min. and I was back on the road" and never had a problem with the tire again:thumbsup: get one and you won't regret it

I love the Q2's for "spirited" riding on my other bikes. As for the mileage, not gonna be a happy camper with that. If you aren't hard on the throttle you might see 3500-4. Of course I'm not use to getting that, but that's not why I buy them :D Keep us posted, I would be curious to see what you end up getting out of it.

if you are slabbing it, it's not going to last very long (maybe 3K) and flat spot fairly quickly.....

Yes I second Pashnits suggestion. I have one of those mushroom plug kits and had to use it way out west one time.
Worked like a charm. Rode for another several thousand miles with it too.

So what can I say. Ran over a brick yesterday morning and killed the Q2. My luck has been in the dumps the past month

I was 6 miles away from another dealer and was not going to pay 120 to be towed there so i rode the side of the road at 10-15mph. $199 for PR3. $300 after labor and taxes. Thats $500 in a month on two rear tires. I honestly thought about leaving the bike there and telling them to sell it. Lets see how long this one will last. I will be ordering the plug kit soon

photo (2).JPG

Look at the positive side.......you'll be a great asset to the org. Because at this pace you'll test a lot of tires in a short period of time and be able to give us your opinion when choosing which one to get. :hide: sorry about the Q2 :down:

bigjack7679 add to the list how long a Q2 lasts... about 2 weeks :laugh: j/k that sucks. I hate just tossing $ away

You got off easy. 7 years ago my dealer charged a hundred a tire if you rode in. Carry in was fitty :laugh:

100 to mount a tire carry in at the dealer here if you buy the tire from them it's 50 but they will charge you you an extra hundred for that tire you buy from them:laugh:

Ouch. Yep, that rear is compromised and going in the dumpster...

Back